Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • A bleeding headache – Formula RX
  • meribelmtb
    Free Member

So I’ve been trying to bleed my Formula RX’s but to no avail, they’re still spongy and lacking stopping power. The o ring seals look fine, I’ve de-gassed the dot 4 fluid and followed all these instructions.

I’m not getting any bubbles out of the caliper or lever end when I take the syringes off. The caliper and lever are removed from the bike so both at the same level and with the bleed ports upright. The Dot 4 fluid is about 12 months old but has been sealed for all but a couple of minutes in that time.

Any thoughts STW? Do I need a fresh bottle of DOT4? Am I missing something vital, stupid or otherwise?

Ta

chvck
    Free Member

I always follow Mr Nutts guide when I bleed my formulas and I’ve had much better results than following other guides!

cheers_drive

Give the lever a full pulls with the wheel removed. When you replace the wheel it should be better. All Formula’s appear to have the same quirk.

meribelmtb
    Free Member

Thanks for that. The Mr Nutts guide looks good, definitely less dry than any other guide I’ve read.

I’ll try giving the lever a pull with the wheel out. Ta

fadda

If they’re anything like my mega’s, I had the same issue. Lost my temper a bit on about the 4th attempt, and pulled REALLY hard on the syringe at the lever end (brakes were on the bike at the time, so this was the highest point).

Despite no bubble on the previous 2 bleeds, suddenly a load of air came out, and they’re now great!

FWIW, I really like the brakes, now… :-/

Gotama
    Free Member

Try putting the lever vertical so the bleed port is at the top when you’re bleeding them. I used an old bar held in my bike stand and attached the lever to that. It was a tip i picked up off pinkbike when bleeding my Ones and it seemed to work first time whereas before they’d been a faff, particularly the rear.

Gotama
    Free Member

And don’t pull really hard on the syringe with the circuit closed, the diaphragm bit is quite delicate and you can break it easily.

meribelmtb
    Free Member

@fadda – Glad to hear I’m not the only one! Going to give it another go this arvo.

@Gotama – The last time I tried the lever was vertical and it worked better but not well enough. Gah

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

The lever should be higher than the calliper during the bleed. Make sure that the bleed ports are at the highest point at the calliper and lever during the bleed.

Try reorientating the calliper and lever whilst aspirating (pulling back on the syringe plunger) and tap the calliper body and hydraulic lines at the same time to dislodge air.

Also I would not advise using DOT fluid that is 12 months old, I’d start with another bleed with a new bottle of DOT.

Good luck!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘A bleeding headache – Formula RX’ is closed to new replies.