Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • A bit weird or is it me?
  • BermBandit
    Free Member

I had a visit from our insurer yesterday, a Risk Control Surveyor no less. Now theres a whole thread there all on its own, but its not about that.

There we are having a chat, and during the conversation I mentioned my involvement in cycling. Well the conversation moved on to riding on the road and the dangers thereof. Now this is where it went a bit weird. She actually said to me “I can’t understand people riding on the road with their kids…..I suppose its because they can’t afford to drive…..” Totally serious, and genuinely reasoned that would be the only likely reason why someone would cycle.

WTF?

emma82
    Free Member

That’s not weird, she’s just deluded. Or stupid. I’d vote latter. Her kids are probably fat as houses 😀

Keva
    Free Member

some people are a bit naive

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s funny isn’t it. I think sometimes we (as in a lot of us here in STW) live in a world where we think everyone either rides or wants to ride a nice bike, thinks of holidays in terms of “could I cycle while I’m there”, thinks that£500+ is fine to spend on a bike, etc etc.

I’m not deriding any of the above, but then, BANG, someone hits you with a statement like that and your bike-world-bubble is just gone…and you think to yourself, Jesus, someone out there thinks like this, and she’s not alone.

Puts the treatment you get from some motorists into perspective. Some people just don’t get it.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Yep thats exactly what I was thinking DD. Incidentally she rolled up in a 4 X 4. Make of that what you will.

molgrips
    Free Member

Did you set her straight?

BermBandit
    Free Member

To be honest I was a bit knocked back by it and just did a reasonable gold fish impression while she wattled on.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Nice to know Risk Control Surveyors are good at quantifying risk objectively.

highclimber
    Free Member

Did you set her straight with a pair of bombers?

FTFY

binners

I had a similar thing happen. But this was more a cultural difference.

The Asian guy in the shop down the road thought it was hilarious that I cycled to work every day when I owned a car. His statement was ‘only peasants ride bikes where I come from’ (Pakistan). The concept of anyone doing it through choice baffled him. When I then told him how much my bike cost, he laughed again, then absolutely refused to believe me.

I now do a 30 mile round commute to work now and when I tell people in the office I’ve cycled the 15 miles in, I get the same reaction as if I’d said I’ve beamed down from the moon. They think I’m insane! Fine by me. Give or take the odd near-death experience, I’m sure I enjoy my journey a lot more than they do.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I would have definitely quizzed her on her own vehicle choice & ascertained if it was as safe a less stupid car for road use.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

At the risk of playing devil’s advocate, why do people ride on the road (with their kids)?

dave360

s’normal.
    “what are you doing at the weekend” “going for a bike ride” “oh, how far?” “about 50 miles” “for charity?”

mrben100
    Free Member

randomjeremy – obviously because they cant afford cars. 😉

And so what if she drove a 4×4?

Cougar

when I tell people in the office I’ve cycled the 15 miles in, I get the same reaction as if I’d said I’ve beamed down from the moon.

I think perhaps that most people who don’t ride simply have no concept of cycling distances.

I used to work with a bloke who used to think nothing of cycling to Preston – a trip of maybe 15-20 miles. We all thought “bloody hell, there’s no way on Earth I could ever do that.” It’s only when you actually get on a bike that you work out how relatively easy it is to cover distance, especially in favourable conditions.

Peyote
    Free Member

At the risk of playing devil’s advocate, why do people ride on the road (with their kids)?

To get places, because you not supposed to ride on the pavement, there’s more space on the roads, it’s safer than some cycle lanes. Lots of reasons!

falkirk-mark

I agree with randomjeremy, why would you want to take your kids out on a bike on the road?

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends how old they are, how busy the road is, and how good they are I reckon.

binners

You’re making the assumption that people actually like their kids. They are expensive to maintain

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I agree with randomjeremy. Plus, a lot of people who ride bikes and post on here have the impression that people think they are cool for cycling. No, they think you are having a midlife crisis. Which, you most probably are. 8)

jon1973
    Free Member

I agree with randomjeremy, why would you want to take your kids out on a bike on the road?

yes, they should be wrapped up in cotton wool and left at home with the curtains drawn and the doors locked.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I, for one, agree with binners.

Cougar

they should be wrapped up in cotton wool and left at home with the curtains drawn and the doors locked.

Absolutely no arguments here. I think that’s far preferable to having them running feral in ASDA whilst I’m trying to buy tomatoes.

falkirk-mark

yes, they should be wrapped up in cotton wool and left at home with the curtains drawn and the doors locked.

Hardly, one does horseriding and her brother plays rugby and mountainbikes.Its just I do not trust the **** on the road.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

horseriding and rugby both have far higher casualty rates than cycling

binners

a lot of people who ride bikes and post on here have the impression that people think they are cool for cycling

Surely to Christ nobody is that delusional?

Peyote
    Free Member

I second agreeing with Binners, in both posts!

falkirk-mark

Precisely, I do not wrap them in cotton wool

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

but you won’t let them cycle on the road even tho it is less dangerous?

jon1973
    Free Member

Its just I do not trust the **** on the road.

I’ve been riding on the road since I was about 10 and never been hit by a car. Kids have to learn road sense sometime and it seems sensible to me for them to do that with their parents. You don’t have to take them out in rush hour traffic around town.

falkirk-mark

but you won’t let them cycle on the road even tho it is less dangerous?

Not what I said, I said I would not want to go out on a bike on the road with them (son is 15 and he goes out on the road himself) (daughter is 11 and if she goes somewhere she rides on pavements) (myself, I get little to no pleasure riding a bike on the road and as such only really ride on road to get somewhere (commute or cycle to trails))

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

fairy snuff then

BermBandit
    Free Member

that’ll be be the rotational forces I reckon ……

donsimon
    Free Member

Definitely you. What was the question?

MrOvershoot

jon1973 – Member

I’ve been riding on the road since I was about 10 and never been hit by a car. Kids have to learn road sense sometime and it seems sensible to me for them to do that with their parents. You don’t have to take them out in rush hour traffic around town.

Oh come on jon you can’t come on here with reasonable arguments now can you 😉

Totally agree, going out for bike rides with my father is how I learnt road sense & how to ride confidently on the road.

donsimon
    Free Member

That reminded me of something that happened years ago…

I’ve been riding on the road since I was about 10 and never been hit by a car I’ve only hit a car once.

Going up a hill, I wasn’t looking where I was going and rode into a parked car. 🙄

joao3v16
    Free Member

I suppose its because they can’t afford to drive

Yes, I spend £3k a year on bike stuff cos I can’t afford to drive.

🙄

Wait a moment… with £3k I could buy, tax, insure & run a car for a year!

D’oh!

hillsplease

I like my kids riding on the road – it’s the first step to developing some road sense and giving them a feeling of independence, plus they love burning me off. I’m with Don and Jon.

The don’t half clank in all that armour I’ve made for them mind.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Interestingly I assumed the OPs post was to suggest the risk assessor thought that the people couldn’t afford a car, so had to cycle everywhere, not that she thought it was too dangerous to let your kids cycle on the road.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘A bit weird or is it me?’ is closed to new replies.