• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • A bit of ICE advice if you may.. (in car ents..)
  • DrP

So my big pimpin’ Octavia has blown a rear speaker (or, more likely, it’s old and stopped working)..

I’d like to replace it, but looking online it seems everything is rivetted in, and I’d need to replace it (and the other side) with a pair of aftermarket speakers.
    This is fine.

However, i’m a bot confused about sensitivity. It seems that as the stock head unit only gives 20w (35w peak) power, I’d need quite a sensitive speaker for it to actually sound good. I read on Briskoda that fitting aftermarket speakers the HU can’t drive leads to awful sounds..

I can’t be dealing with adding amps!

It’s a Skoda Stream MP3 head unit, and I’d need 17cm speakers.
    The stock speakers have the tweeter in the door too..not sure if there’s crossovers, or simply a second wire coming from the speaker in the door…

So my question is:
    any suggestions of not-too-pricey 17cm speaker with reasonable sensitivity (> 91db??)
    Anything else I’m missing?

Ta!!

(asking here rather than Briskoda as I don’t really get good answers there!)

DrP

somouk
    Free Member

I think you’re probably reading a little too much in to the sensitivity thing. The head unit wont push out much power but it will drive most speakers suitably and if the rear are more sensitive than the front it will throw the balance out. The resistance is one thing you should check though to see if they are 8 ohm or 4 ohm.

The speakers are riveted in, you’ll probably want to make MDF spacers, bolt them to the door then screw the speakers to the MDF. You can buy cheap plastic spacers but it’s not worth it.

As for the tweeter, you would be best looking for a component pair that has a small in line crossover instead of a big box of tricks.

Something like this:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/speakers/component-systems/ground-zero-iridium-gzic-16x-2-way-component-speakers

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/speakers/component-systems/edge-street-ed306-e2-16-5cm-240w-components

Or alternatively grab some OEM speakers from ebay or a scrap yard and just swap them over.

Cougar

Move the fader all the way to the front. (-:

Can you not drill out the rivets?

andyl
    Free Member

should be pretty easy to get some modest upgrade speakers. Pretty much anything will be an upgrade over stock speakers.

DrP

Yeah, I’ll need to drill out the rivets..prob get the plastic spacers tbh, just wondering what to replace with…

Will check the ohm situation, cheers!#

DrP

wiggles
    Free Member

Need to be a pretty big car to fit an ent in it

somafunk

Give Skipton Car Audio a call, they will know what fits and can advise you on a suitable replacement depending on your budget.

ji
    Free Member

When you say the speaker is blown,is it not working at all, or just really distorted?

If the latter, then there are a few videos of how to fix that with a hot glue gun… It worked on one of my old cars and lasted several years until I sold it on (still working).

st

Go with the mdf spacers, easily bought on ebay or most car audio suppliers. They’ll make a difference by giving a denser base for the speaker to play from and cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/mdf-speaker-rings

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

If you like sound quality, & assuming you are not sitting in the back, then just fade to the front or disconnect the rear speakers. How often do you find orchestral/ band members behind you if you go to a concert?

DrP

^^^
    Yeah, i get that…. but..this is a mid range Octavia, not some super posh high end Roller with dash speakers etc..!!

How often do I find orchestral sounds coming from down by my right knee would also be an adequate question!!

I want all speakers working basically!

DrP

Poopscoop

You’re sure it’s not the output from the stereo that’s gone on the one channel?

More likely to be the speaker but when I used to repair stereos (many moons back) the amp could sometimes lose a single channel or it’s output become distorted.

It depends on your intentions really but I might just get the same breaker from a breakers and replace like with like.

Depends what you are looking for really.

DrP

What am i looking for..
    Well..if the speaker was working fine i’d Leave it…
    But, if i have to replace it, I wouldn’t say no to some better speakers.
    However, the big question is…WILL they sound better..probably not unless I’m upgrading to an amp too, I suppose??

DrP

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘A bit of ICE advice if you may.. (in car ents..)’ is closed to new replies.