Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • A bit of Electrical Knowledge needed please ….
  • nealglover
    Free Member

I have a generator in the back of my Van that runs the various things I need for work (pressure washer/vac/extraction machine etc)

I don’t always use it, if there is electric available on the job I run a cable out to the van.

My question is, is there any way to rig it up so I don’t need to unplug everything each time I change the power source from Mains to Generator.

Also that I wanted a battery charger that’s permenantly connected to the battery so that whichever power source I am using, it would be charging the Van battery.

Is that possible ?

footflaps

Can’t you just put everything into a multi-plug thing and either plug that into your Generator or into an extension lead from the client’s house?

A more professional installation would have a waterproof socket in the van panel for the external lead to the house and a switch inside for cutting between the two…

Stoner
    Free Member

You could fit some kind of break before make switchover switch between your two supplies and the distribution line

Junkyard
    Free Member

what he said. I assume you need to plug the power,either from the house or the generator, into a a RCD or similiar.
    Just use the same type of plug surley

Are we missing something here?

nealglover
    Free Member

A more professional installation would have a waterproof socket in the van panel for the external lead to the house and a switch inside for cutting between the two…

Wouldn’t want to cut into the panels, but don’t really need to as the back of the van is always open when I’m working anyway. But that’s the sort of thing I am looking for (just inside the van that’s all)

I do use an RCD at the Supply end if I’m using a mains connection, and the generator has RCD protection built in.

footflaps

You could make up a Y lead with two plugs and one socket and a switch, however it is potentially lethal as unless the switch fully isolates the unused plug at all times you have a live plug floating around (as the Y connects it to the other plug which is plugged into a source).

Not being a sparky, no idea what the regs are for this. You’d need at least a twin pole break before make switch (so it cuts over Live and Neutral and breaks the connecting before remaking it, so you never have two live plugs).

Just using a small plug block and moving the plug from Generator to extension lead would be simpler….

Stoner
    Free Member

sorry, I meant to call it a “changeover” switch. Will help you with searching. Check the Amperage rating you need, and then pick a 240v one.

You could stick something like this in a connector box:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390481542702

or this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19074622800

or something like this that has its own box
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/130776056407

nealglover
    Free Member

Just using a small plug block and moving the plug from Generator to extension lead would be simpler….

That’s what I though at first, but the Generator uses this type of plug/socket

With a standard 4 socket extension on it.

nealglover
    Free Member

So it’s (maybe) possible to have a switched “Y” lead with a Generator Plug and a Household 3 pin plug on it.

And a 4 Gang Socket extension on the other end ?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I work with generators and mains supplies.
    The only advice i can give you is do not create a situation were you may potentially have two separate 230/240v supplies within the same device, this will give you a potential of up to 415v.
    If the two separate supplies come into contact you will have a big bang, a decent interlocked changeover switch will cost you a couple of hundred quid.

andyl
    Free Member
    nealglover
    Free Member

Would you not be best using 110V equipment from your van/outside?

I’m not sure of the differences to be fair.

But as I have over £2000 worth of kit already that’s 240v , I can’t see me changing.

footflaps
    Stoner
    Free Member

you can.

Its the amperage rating which bumps up the price.

Changeover switches that are designed to switch between mains and generator supplies to the main household distribution board are rated 100A+ and cost between £100 and £250.

I was looking at getting one to allow me to connect my gennie. But There’s also a “dirty”, very naughty way of doing it too, involving switching off the main breaker, and using a fly lead with two male plugs – might give it a go in an emergency when no-one’s looking 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

Changeover switches that are designed to switch between mains and generator supplies to the main household distribution board are rated 100A+ and cost between £100 and £250.

Would I need that though ?

I’m not trying to power the household supply with a generator. I’m just wanting to switch between Generator or Household to power an appliance (Rotary Polisher or Vac etc.)

bassman
    Free Member

Try something like this.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Distribution_and_Switchgear_Index/Change_Over_Switches/index.html

Make sure you use a good Electrician as it would not take long to sort out and test.

product photo
    125A Changeover Switch
    Single Phase + Switched Neutral

125A Changeover Switch Single Phase
    Allows switching between single phase mains supply and standby generators for emergency services.
    Maximum cable capacity: 50mm
    25mm/32mm knockouts top and bottom

Dimensions(HWD): 250x135x65mm
    Metal enclosure
    Epoxy powder coated RAL7035
    Enclosure BS EN 60439-3
    Single phase + Switched neutral

Order Code Description Price (ex vat) Qty
    CG M125CS 125A Changeover Switch – Single Phase ( New Just Arrived )
    EA

Must be done by someone who knows what they are doing not DIY .

nealglover
    Free Member

I could well be totally wrong, but all those switches rated at 125 amps etc seem a bit of an overkill.

They are designed to switch from mains to run an entire house from a Generator as far as I can tell ?

What I am wanting to do, is power one appliance (Rotary polisher /Vac / power washer)

And be able to leave it plugged in to one place in the van, but switch from Mains to Generator power when needed.

(I will run an RCD protected mains extension to the Van when using mains power)

Is that not quite a lot different ?

(If I’m wrong can someone explain it in Numpty terms for me please 🙂 )

bassman
    Free Member

If you look at the bottom of the link you will see a 32 amp changeover switch.For £40.odd
    You need a Sparks who knows what to do,as you will be looking for an IP rated device.
    This is not Do It Yourself.

nealglover
    Free Member

I won’t be doing it myself.

as an ex Plumber, I don’t touch electrics 🙂

Just looked at the Generator and the socket on there is 16A 230v

Does that mean I need a 16A (or above) switch ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have one of those that andyL shows on my welders cable.

works well – so you unplug the genny – plug that in to your 4 gang then plug it into the extension ?

bassman
    Free Member

Yes
    As your plug is not fused at 16 amp.
    This is only an example of the changeover switch your electrician will advise you what is needed for your correct use.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KMT338212I.html

As you have to go from Off position to switch over the source of power.
    Already mentioned on here you will have the potential for 415 volts on your vehicle.Be Aware of what you are using.

nealglover
    Free Member

Already mentioned on here you will have the potential for 415 volts on your vehicle.Be Aware of what you are using.

I can see the issue there, but its not really a problem for my usage.

I would never fire the generator up if I had run the supply from the mains anyway so it wouldn’t ever happen.
    (I hate running the generator so I only use it when I really have to)

so you unplug the genny – plug that in to your 4 gang then plug it into the extension ?

At the moment I have a 4 Gang on the end of the Round Generator plug with all my stuff plugged into it.

When using household mains supply I run a cable out and have to unplug everything and plug it into the extension.

bassman
    Free Member

trail rat
    I have one of those that andyL shows on my welders cable.

works well – so you unplug the genny – plug that in to your 4 gang then plug it into the extension

That will work as it is mains from a 13amp socket to a 16amp socket, for you to plug in the 16amp plug (No Genny used)direct from mains.
    If you try to plug the genny into the socket you will need plug to plug set up.Someone will get a belt from it guaranteed.there has to be a safe method of connection.
    The generator output is from a socket
    Mains output from source to a socket
    16 amp plug is fitted to vehicle units to be powered manually plug unplug which is what the op is doing now.
    Wired via a changeover switch no unplugging once connected up.

andyl
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    i have one of those that andyL shows on my welders cable.

works well – so you unplug the genny – plug that in to your 4 gang then plug it into the extension ?

Exactly. I don’t get all the talk of switches and electricians etc.

If I remember correctly the blue plugs are single phase 16A 230V. The yellow ones are for 3 phase.

All you need to do is unplug generator and plug in to an extension.

Mains socket – RCD – adapter above – 16A extension – plugged into current van system.

OR

Mains socket – RCD – mains extension – adapter above – plugged into current van system.

andyl
    Free Member

bassman – you seem to be contradicting yourself there, unless I am reading it wrong.

He will have this end on the appliance side:

and the end like I posted on the generator, just like is on the mains adapter.

bassman
    Free Member

Yes the plug is on the appliance side.
    He was asking if there was another way to do it without having to plug unplug the P/wash/extractor/batt charger.
    So these are left plugged into the van splitter.

Feed from Genny via changeover Switch AA position 1
    Feed from mains via changeover switch BB position 2
    Changeover switch is in off position 00 position 0

If mains operated switch in position 1
    if on genny switch in position 2
    If in off switch in position 0
    You have to go through 0 to get to position 2 from position 1 so it has isolated the mains if on genny output.
    He should not be running both at the same time ie mains on and genny together.

bassman
    Free Member

That plug on the mains adaptor is wrong it should be a socket that the appliance can plug into.
    If that is plugged into the mains then the plug pins will be easy to touch hence shocking.
    Mains plug (13amp)to 16 amp socket Female.

andyl
    Free Member

While I like a slick system with switches and nice concealed plugs etc he still has to plug the mains in so may as well just leave it unplugged from the generator unless he needs to use it and keep it simple.

andyl
    Free Member

That plug on the mains adaptor is wrong it should be a socket that the appliance can plug into.
    If that is plugged into the mains then the plug pins will be easy to touch hence shocking.
    Mains plug (13amp)to 16 amp socket Female.

no it’s not.

It’s got sockets inside under the cover. So the mains connector goes into the mains and the sockets are then powered and get plugged into.

Only an idiot would wire up a male version on the live side.

This is the slave side which I am guessing he has something similar in his van from the generator to the appliances:

bassman
    Free Member

Idiots do happen.

Simple is the easy way,only responding to the question.
    I agree that it would be the best way to use the lead only when on mains.

I have seen a guy dump a electric drill into a water container & go to plug back into mains because it was dirty.(True story)
    we managed to shout at the builders mate not to do it.240 not 110
    done a diagram but cant seem to be able to post it.

andyl
    Free Member

The way I am suggesting gives no possible way to have any (16A or 13A) male type connector live and exposed as they are all slaves and all the females are the ones with the power….hang on that sounds like The Worm That Turned

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘A bit of Electrical Knowledge needed please ….’ is closed to new replies.