Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • A bit of a PSA – very good LED GU10 bulbs
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve been using about 40 of these for the last 6 months and I’m really impressed. Colour and brightness matches our existing 50w halogens but the LEDs have a better/wider beam pattern.

Although ledhut have regular offers they never seem to exceed 25% discount but the base price of these bulbs has now been dropped from about £14 to £8.99 which I reckon is a bargain.

ledhut.co.uk/new-5-watt-gu10-led-bulb-wide-beam-angle

So if anyone is after some new bulbs then now would be a good time to buy (even though the nights are getting lighter). Having seen the amount of burnt wiring that’s been sitting above our halogen downlights I personally see changing to LEDs to be a safety exercise…. the money saving is a bonus.

jonnyrockymountain

don’t recommend LEDHUT
    I bought some led bulbs of them and one flickered like made and the other one burn’t out within the first day, so sent them back 2 month ago, no reply, no money back and no replacement!

molgrips
    Free Member

40? Holy shit, are you a hospital with an operating theatre?

GrahamS

We went for the 4 watt ones. Even cheaper at £6.99 (plus 10% discount with “10today” code).
    Seem brighter than the 50w halogen they replaced and definite wider (120 degree)

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights/gu10-led-bulbs/gu10-smd-led-220-lumens-45-watts-equiv-best-internet-price.html

Quite cold colour temp but fine for the kitchen.

ledhut service was good for me

sharkbait
    Free Member

Hora;
    Kitchen/breakfast = 18
    Hall = 4
    Dining = 6
    Landing = 8
    Bathrooms = 11

So 47 to be exact…. madness! When they were put in (12 years ago) ‘leccy wasn’t so bad but now it is. To be honest the house is quite big with lowish ceilings.

Just buying 25 for another house 🙁

gobuchul
    Free Member

Why do they have a random picture of Sarah Benny on the home page?

GrahamS

I believe she is a “Brand Ambassador” – see http://www.ledhut.co.uk/savvy-switch

molgrips
    Free Member

At 25W a go for halogens that’s over a kW of power just on lights! I bet your house is a bit colder now 😉

ElShalimo

I got the 7dayshop mailshot yesterday
    Has anyone got those bulbs, they look very cheap so I’m wary

lerk
    Free Member

Screwfix do a box of 10 LAP ones for £49.99…

Drac

Nope but thinking about getting some, I’ve used 7dayshop for loads of stuff over the years and not had any issues with anything.

ElShalimo

Drac – same here, so very tempted by the box of 10 deal

molgrips
    Free Member

Only loosely related but I put dimmable normal style LED lightbulbs from B&Q in our living room, but also changed the dimmers for a third time. Finally got it sorted, and 10W LEDs seem far brigher than their claimed 60W equivalent. Very happy.

sharkbait
    Free Member

At 25W a go for halogens that’s over a kW of power just on lights! I bet your house is a bit colder now

Most of them were 50w! Obviously most of the heat generated from the upstairs lights simply went into heating the loft 🙁

Drac

Drac – same here, so very tempted by the box of 10 deal

Yup a proper bargain of less than £3 a bulb.

crofts2007
    Free Member

Fitted 8 of these in my kitchen, much better than the 50w ones they replaced.
    Gf has stopped moaning about them looking like yogurt pots once I explained that they used 90% less energy.
    All still working well after 3 months.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-gu10-led-reflector-lamp-with-reflector-330lm-5w/91534#

molgrips
    Free Member

Shite.. 2kw then.. that’d like having a kettle on all the time!

I paid £20 each for 11W CFL GU10s a few years ago 😳

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

molgrips, when I moved in last year our house was wall to wall (37 of them) with 50W GU10s. The kitchen alone had 12, so 600W of lighting. Utter madness.

Oh, and the lounge had 6 fittings with 2x 25W golf balls in. Another 300W. Nearly 1kw to keep the lights on!

Sharkbait, have you got any of the dimmable ones?

molgrips
    Free Member

Partially sighted previous owner?

brassneck

Partially sighted previous owner?

After switching that many lights on, I’d have thought so

iain1775
    Free Member

Another recommendation for the OP’s bulbs and Ledhut here, just replaced all our kitchen with them, and bathroom with the equivalent fitting ones
    Bought some transformers in case the bathroom transformers weren’t LED compatable but ended up not using them, LEDhut refunded no problem

Now can anyone recommend a decent multidirectional G4 LED bulb around 100-120lumens?
    I need 22 of them for the living and dining rooms

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Right, so I currently have mr16 halogens, with individual transformers for each. Am I right in saying that I can remove each transformer, wire in a gu10 130mm tail and use those LED bulbs in existing mr16 lamp holders?.

oldgit
    Free Member

Still think Kosnic 6W’s are best, can be got for £6.75’ish trade. They also list the correct colour temp i.e 2700/4000/6500 so when a few go and the ones you bought on the net don’t exist anymore you have a temp to match.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Monky: yes 9 dimmable ones with a trailing edge dimmer from ledhut. They’re very good, can’t tell the difference between them and the non-dimmables and they’re right next to the them in the same room.

When dimmed they don’t go warmer, unlike halogen, they just get dimmer.
    The cool bit is that when you switch them on the electronics in the switch start them low and then build to full brightness over about a second…. still neat!

Nobeer: Yes, that’s exactly what I did. No more transformers to blow 🙂
    Don’t get new transformers or go MR16 – what’s the point? Plus you can sell the old transformers on ebay for a few quid each.

iain1775
    Free Member

Don’t get new transformers or go MR16 – what’s the point? Plus you can sell the old transformers on ebay for a few quid each.

He already has MR16 and transformers so isn’t ‘going’ MR16, assuming his transformers are compatible he doesn’t need to mess around with tails, just replace bulbs with MR16 LED’s

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘A bit of a PSA – very good LED GU10 bulbs’ is closed to new replies.