• This topic has 43 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • A bike build thread – niche content!
  • bedmaker

Doesn’t a 100mm bb shell feel really odd?

Not a bit, I’ve been riding a full fat bike almost exclusively for a few years so it’s normal to me.
    I’m not at all convinced that narrow Q is better on anything other than a TT bike. Aero gains weren’t much of a consideration on this bike!
    I reckon 170 rear and 100bb is a great combo for a 29+. It’s pretty hard to package otherwise without making the rear end much longer.
    It’s easy enough to get hubs, cranks and is all ready for Rohloff XL.

As for the tyres rocketdog, I wasn’t too hopeful that the chronicles would be much cop but I was pleasantly surprised. There was much more grip than I expected, even in some really gloopy sections.
    Once the DW finally appears, I reckon one of them on the front and Chronicle on the back should be pretty good. The Knard on the back is decent enough though.

It’s people like you that help to push things forward.

To be fair, both my Shands are quite closely based on Brants work with the OO Fatty. It’s really a superb bike.
    When I had my full fat built, I was riding a Fatty but wanted:
    -space for a Bud on the back
    -135 rear for Rohloff
    – Steel. Even with huge tyres, steel feels better than ally to me
    – chainstays about 20mm shorter
    – slightly steeper seattube

Otherwise the geo is very similar on both the bikes.

Gordymac, hope to be there but wifey on NS so will need to try and find somewhere to put the girlies for a few hours.

singlespeedstu

It’s really a superb bike.

I know I got rid of a Mukluk and a Fatback because I liked the way the Fatty rode.

Still nice to see people trying stuff out that you can’t buy off the shelf.

Though TBF I think you’re a freak for liking the ‘Hoff.
    I tried to like one for three years before i finaly admitted it was a draggy POS. 😉

bedmaker

The roly being draggy was a worry before getting it Stu, but I genuinely don’t find it drags at all. The low gear grind has muted drastically too after riding it a bit.

I’m liking the XX1 on this bike though, very crisp and plenty range.

tomd
    Free Member

I’m honoured to be riding the (fat) tyre prints of such pioneers.

I’ve got a vaguely original custom build skinny steel 29er fat tyre thing so all’s not lost.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘A bike build thread – niche content!’ is closed to new replies.