Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • A big house party at your house- would this 'work'?
  • hora
    Free Member

Hire some sort of small/mid-marque to cover the whole of the garden.

3 bed semi house- fairsized garden and side completely enclosed carport (with roof but open at the back with access to the kitchen door to this and the garden).

Clear all the stuff thats not needed- how many people could you get in and around?

Has anyone done this and how many people did you have?

(Just an idea- instead of hiring a hall for a wedding).

the-muffin-man

Do you value your neighbours!?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Do you value your neighbours house!?

jam-bo

What’s a fair sized garden?

Invite the neighbours.

dazh

I did it in 1996 in my student house. 3 bed semi, no garden, moved all the furniture into one room, the rest was turned into a nightclub for the evening with two sound systems. Not sure how many people but it was probably about 150 by the time all the Manchester nightclubs kicked out at 4am. Neighbours weren’t too happy though so I’d check with them first 🙂

For a wedding I’d hire a hall.

hora
    Free Member

Do you value your neighbours!?

Yes- I intervened and stopped two neighbours from another house from beating/kicking off with the daughter and father over a parking dispute in the street. They aren’t bad people either.

Its a Cul De Sac and most of the street kinda know each other- you never know. With permission they may agree to a street party as well?

😀

Do I value my house? Everyone I know is by far a better person than me. Sad but true.

For a wedding I’d hire a hall.

Thats an idea- we are looking at. I’m just wondering on numbers that’d be reasonable at home.

maccruiskeen

how many toilets have you got? where will everyone park? whats the ground like – what will it be like if its been raining for weeks before hand?

Harry_the_Spider

how many toilets have you got? where will everyone park? whats the ground like – what will it be like if its been raining for weeks before hand?

Good points.

Hora, do it!

maccruiskeen

You know the neighbours you share a street with but most gardens also share boundaries with houses in other streets – so the nearest effected neighbours might be people you hardly know at all

midlifecrashes

Did something similar for my 40th. 2 x 10m x 3m marquees, bought from B&Q, house and garden. About 80 people, maybe 15 staying over. Have been to a couple of bigger budget dos with bands and caterer and it’s worked well.

nixie

We did this for our wedding in a small 2 bed with small garden. We hired an extra toilet though. Couple we know through NCT also did it for a much bigger party though I suspect they spent as much as just hiring a venue.

hora
    Free Member

You know the neighbours you share a street with but most gardens also share boundaries with houses in other streets – so the nearest effected neighbours might be people you hardly know at all

That is something so obvious that I didnt consider. Both sides of our house are good- one side has Caribbean parties etc (invited) but its the back – the houses with a shared garden fence at the back I guess.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pretty sure that you can hire some pampas grass for the front garden.

dknwhy

Some places do free hire with minimum spend at the bar. Could be worth checking locally.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

last party i had like that was in bristol in my student days. 4 story house in montpelier. People were smoking crack in the basement, the decks from one room got nicked, someone got slashed across the face in the street, and someone fell out of a first floor window onto their head.

all three emergency services came and some shops on GLoucester Road got smashed up as a result of people being thrown out by the police. not good times.

oh but Roni Size came!

hooli

Not worth the hassle or stress IMO, our local village hall is about £10 an hour. Plenty of parking, plenty of bogs, no neighbours to annoy and no house gets trashed.

Pook

Your camping idea was better

timidwheeler

I’m a police officer so I’ve been to loads of these 😆
    80 drunk people in a garden will make so much noise there will be complaints from streets away. Even without music drunk people are really noisy.

midlifecrashes

I’m a police officer so I’ve been to loads of these
    80 drunk people**** in a garden will makecan so much noise there will be complaints from streets away. Even without music drunk people**** are really noisy.

It looks like twits but rhymes with bats.

You don’t get called out to the nice people.

hora
    Free Member

I’m a police officer so I’ve been to loads of these

‘hora! I think the Strippers arrived?’ 😆

joshvegas
    Free Member

when you are half way through your night you can’t change your mind, you know that right?

binners

WOOOOOAAAAAHHHHHH!!! Lets just back up a bit here people. Theres an elephant in the room needs addressing here…..

SHE’S AGREED TO ****ING MARRY YOU?!!!!!! 😯

Stop being such a tight arse! Hire somewhere. 😛

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Wouldn’t even try it at home now-a days,but as an off the wall idea why not approach the local Working Mens clubs ( assuming there are any )

Many have large “concert rooms ” available for hire often VERY cheaply or even free

They will have contacts for DJs and catering, cheap beer and you don’t have to worry about the neighbours…..

maccruiskeen

You can also hire Sma-land in Ikea after hours. Like conventional soft play but with a drinks license and if its damp at the bottom of the ball pit its not necessarily because someones wet themselves.

binners

How about one of your charming local hostelries ….

Or you could splash out, and go really upmarket and venture into M21….

Its only a shame this place closed. As its nice and handy….

Mind you… what they’ve put in its place could be ideal to suit your proposed budget you tight-arsed git

😛

timidwheeler

‘hora! I think the Strippers arrived?’

Aw pickle you would be so disappointed 😆

It’s not a case of people not being nice, drunk people are noisy and at 1AM nothing travels as far as the sound of “SHHHHHSH..THE NEIGHBOURS WILL COMPLAIN.”

Also I would check with Mrs Hora2b before you book strippers for the wedding reception. It’s a tad unorthodox.

isto
    Free Member

We did this at uni – cleared the house and had a party inviting all the students we could muster as well as leaving the door open for any passers by. Prob a hundred or so throughout the night. Neighbours also not too happy. We ended up with a brick through the toilet window and loads of stuff stolen. Good party though.

hora
    Free Member

Binners you slaaarg. I live in ‘East Chorlton’ though not that rough ‘hole ^

windydave13
    Free Member

Is that nightclub still under Streford arndale??

The “Drum” just came up in our discussion at work about this 😆

On a serious note, what about something like the old Victoria warehouse in the Quays. http://www.victoriawarehouse.com/venuehire/

hora
    Free Member

Good idea ^

Marin
    Free Member

Mate hired a campsite for his, lots of us have vans or hired them. Had a band, hog roast, ice cream van. We call threw money in the box and emptied local off licence. Best wedding I’ve ever been to and probably the cheapest.

Bregante

. I live in ‘East Chorlton’ though not that rough ‘hole

Surely the charming hamlet of St Retford is west of Chorlton??

And this is the obvious choice for a man of your stature who is out to impress. It’s local. There’s plenty of parking and loads of seating and a wide variety of international cuisine. There’s even a dance floor.

bones
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/rCY6xAsmaes[/video]

RustySpanner

hora – Member
    Hire some sort of small/mid-marque to cover the whole of the garden.

Congratulations.
    🙂

Buy them, then sell them again afterwards – we sold the ones we bought for the daughter’s wedding and sold them for more than we paid.

Drop us a line if you’re interested and I’ll find out where we got them.

hora
    Free Member

Surely its Chorlton Heights bregante? 😀

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Not worth the stress, hassle and cost of doing it at home.

Just hire somewhere

hora
    Free Member

Hopefully our local friends/community will win the old Rylands Hall. Find out next week on that. Would have preferred home (because I’m a tight ****)

br
    Free Member

We did it for our wedding. Invited all neighbours (we knew most) and about 50 friends/ family.
    I built a bar in the garden, with optics and all and hired a bar maid.
    Food was a hog.
    We blocked the street with cars (lived on a ‘circular’ road) for the kids to play safe.

Good times.

emsz
    Free Member

Me and chris used to put on massive themed parties in the summer, we did dinner at the ritz, movie themed, big brother, and a jungle. We hired marquees and rang the cops when we wanted people to go home 8)

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Have you been in sip club? Can be hired a venue for parties. I really like it in there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘A big house party at your house- would this 'work'?’ is closed to new replies.