Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • A bewildering array of steel hard tails
  • four
    Free Member

I’m lusting over a hard tail, a steel one in fact.

There seems to be a fair few that ‘look good’ but unfortunately as they are not available in most LlBS it’s very hard to try them out – even more so if you like me live in the south of the UK.

My current look at list for as close to a ‘do most of it’ (I’m not into Enduro/DH/Bike parks or jumps) bike is as follows:

Cotic Soul
    Stanton Sherpa
    Stif Morf

How do these bike stack up against each other as general all rounders for in the main non aggressive riding on the South Downs?

Is it pretty much of a muchness and any will do as they are all good so go for the colour you like?

I’m over biked on a Four at the moment.

funkmasterp

Any reason for the Soul over the Solaris?

kayak23

It’s not hard to try the Cotic out at least. Give them a call to arrange joining one of their travelling demo days.

four
    Free Member

Soul over Solaris.

My nderstanding is that the Solaris is more like a 29er BFe hence my thoughts on the Sherpa as the 29er option. But then I’m only 5’7″ so not sure a 29er is a good option over 27.5. (I don’t want a heavier more aggressive ht like the BFe or P7)

chiefgrooveguru

For the riding you describe you can’t really beat a Soul. The Morf is more aggro. Are you swapping the parts from the Four?

chevychase

Why the Sherpa over the Solaris?

Just out of interest – used to have a MK2 Solaris until some tea-leaf got hold of it. Been looking at the Sherpa. Anyone with experience of both?

four
    Free Member

Chiefgrooveguru – I think I’ll probably sell the Four as a complete bike rather than just swapping the parts over.

vincienup
    Free Member

Interesting to hear Solaris described as 29er BFe. That makes a lot of sense, actually. Good. I’ll feel less guilty when I put the Yari on it…

O/T – from the description I’d say Soul but I’m biased. I’m also desperately trying to talk myself into parting with a Soul275 or Solaris as there’s a lot of overlap. I’m not getting very far with this !

BigDummy
    Free Member

My understanding is that the Solaris is more like a 29er BFe

I’m not sure that’s right.

The Solaris weighs 4.9lbs at 19″, the Bfe is 5.6lbs at 16″.

Solaris takes a 120mm travel fork, the Bfe a 160mm max.

Cotic describe them very differently as well.

I had a Solaris a few years ago: it was reasonably light, quick, quite compliant. A fun trail bike rather than a bruiser.

If you want a 29er, the Solaris will do the same stuff as the Soul. 🙂

jekkyl

virtually everyone on here has or has had a Cotic, (have you seen the weekend pics threads?!) you’ll just get a biased viewpoint. 😛
    Anyway, get a Soul, they are MINT. Chuck it about, light and springy and the noise the steel makes when you shift gear. You won’t regret it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Get a Soul

Cotic do demo days around their base in the Peak and have Sam and his roving van packed with demo bikes touring the country. Have a look on website / facebook. Also there must be Soul owners near you who will be happ to let you have a spin

I have a BFe and having test ridden a Solaris I don’t think its a 29 version, closer to a Soul I think was the design brief. I was going to get a Soul but BFe was on sale was £300 vs £450 swayed it for me (daft really given cost of full build). You can get Soul in 275 or a BFe in 26 or 275 fyi. You won’t go wrong with a Soul and frames sell for good prices second hand so if you don’t like it for some reason you can move it on.

mikeryan
    Free Member

Well here’s my 2 penneth.

I have just bought a Stif as I was lusting over a steel hardtail. I got it 2 months ago and havnt touched my full suspension since. It is loads of fun and very compliant. The slack head angle is brilliant for descending. I ride a lot of single track and recently took it to stile cop at cannock. It dealt with it no problems. I didn’t do some of the bigger jumps buts that’s my failing not the bikes.

I have not ridden any of the other bikes you mention but I would recommend trying the stif if you can. They do have demo bikes for hire but you need to go to Harrogate where they are located.

I am contemplating changing the forks to 140 if possible to get it a little slacker still but not to fussed as it rides brilliantly. The other thing for me is it looks good even when its standing still. I know this is purely subjective but the stif takes some beating for looks.

One final thing is it comes with a KS dropper and not one of those infernal reverbs. I forgot how smooth the action is on the KS until I got onto my other bike and tried the reverb. its like its full of gravel by comparison. Slightly off topic there.

Ultimately whatever you buy it will feel great for a while and then you spot another bike you don’t need and it will collect dust at the back of the shed.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

My nderstanding is that the Solaris is more like a 29er BFe

That’s not my understanding at all. Certainly my mk1 Solaris was nothing like a beefier Alpine-esque jumps/drops hardtail. Steeper angles, thinner tubes, no rear clearance for big rear tyres – it was so un-BFe I sold it.

Cy may well have changed things since, but that would also be a complete change in the philosophy behind the bike.

jekkyl

correct me if I’m wrong but the stif is designed purely for 1x ?? (doesn’t have clearance and cable stays) therefore isn’t designed for a multiple chainrings and front mech. Given that the Op is looking for a ‘do most of it’ bike in the south of the Uk, the morf is purely a trail bike it seems to me, perhaps it might not be the most suitable. as always ymmv

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d rule out the Morf as the graphics look shit.

ceepers

I’ve been pondering this at the moment, mainly because my wife wants to commandeer my current hardtail and its a good excuse to n+1!

I’m fairly keen on the stif but theyre out of stock and stif themselves cant get a straight answer on delivery from the factory.

As far as I can see the stif has almost identical geometry to the P7 apart from 10mm less travel. Its definatley in the trail/ hardcore side of things.

The soul definitely has more conservative geometry – longer chainstays, shorter and steeper

My viewing of the cotics was that the solaris was just the 29er version of the soul and so not that hardcore. Hopefully ill get to demo a soul this weekend so I can report back if it helps

The pace r127 has good reviews and is similar to the soul in attitude I think.

Also worth looking at the 2015 or later transition trans am which you might find a bargain on as they’ve stopped making them now. That’s what I have currently and its a great bike. Not the lightest frame but rides great for a blast round the woods or a 3 hour ride. I’m only looking around as my wife wants mine.

chakaping
    Free Member

Solaris is a cracking all rounder.

Leans more towards XC bimbling than shredding the gnar, IMO.

wl
    Free Member

Orange P7 is mint.

unovolo
    Free Member

What about a Vassago Jabberwocky, I dont own one(but would love too)but have only read good things about them.
    Can be run as SS and geared too.

core

I’d probably go Solaris/Sherpa for non technical riding, not everyone agrees, but I think that’s what they’re best at, due to wheel size and geometry.

Just sold my Solaris, it was fast, climbed well, very stable, excellent when the going was flat/easy, but for me, not so nice pointing downhill. Built a Soul up with most of the parts and love it, much prefer it downhill and in tight, twisty stuff.

Depends what you think you’ll be riding most I reckon, if you want to chuck it about the woods a bit or go to trail centres I’d stick to smaller wheels, I find them more fun.

metalheart
    Free Member

I’ve both a Sherpa and a SolarisMAX (indeed also a mk1 Solaris and, until recently, a Soul26).

SolarisMAX all bikepacked up by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

Sherpa at the Fungle by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

The Sherpa is more ‘playful’ (0.5 deg slacker I think) and shorter (comparing L with L).

SolarisMAX was bought as to be my bikepacking mule so is set up for all day comfort (the Sherpa is too short for that, a 60mm stem might help though).

I kind of persuaded a mate to get a Soul27.5 and so I’ve ridden that next to my mk1 Solaris. I’m a fan of the larger wheel (indeed, my soul26 was relegated to hack when I got the 29er) and it didn’t change my mind. The way the bigger wheels roll outweigh the slightly slower steering for me.

metalheart
    Free Member

My understanding is that the Solaris is more like a 29er BFe….

This is bobbins! It’s a big wheeled Soul.

chakaping
    Free Member

Metalheart – you have “a bewildering array of steel hardtails” all by yourself

😀

Just sold my Solaris,

And I’m enjoying it very much, ta.

It’s only on steep stuff that I find it a bit limiting, so for what the OP describes I reckon it’d be bob-on.

core

Yeah, I agree, admittedly a 120mm fork would have made it better on descents, but I just found it (and the Scandal I had before it) a little bit scary on the steep and techy downs.

For bikepacking, xc racing, and less steep/technical general riding I’d go 29er every time I think, I just can’t have that many bikes and my hardtail needs to do Bringewood without chucking me over the bars as well as all of the above, Soul is the perfect hardtail (650b) for what I want.

I’ve run 26″ and 29″ bikes at the same time, and really noticed the difference, but 650b I just don’t notice feeling big or small to be honest, just feels right to me, I think that’s a decent compliment.

Del

I agree, there are a bewildering array of steel hardtails given ally or carbon are far more suitable materials these days. 😈

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Some great Cotic pictures on here. Just ordered a Solaris Max ,will be putting the bits from my Canyon 29er on it. Will be running 100mm up front to start but may up to 120 when funds allow.
    The only issue was my rear wheel (DT Swiss1700) was not boost but the good folk at Keswick MTB are sorting a boostinator out.
    Didn’t really get on? with the Canyon. Good bike but miss the feel of my old BFe. Hoping the Solaris will be similar but more XC (if that makes sense) 😕

metalheart
    Free Member

Metalheart – you have “a bewildering array of steel hardtails” all by yourself

😳

flattyre
    Free Member

I’ve had mk2 soul and have mk1 solaris and solaris feels much harsher to me. Very noticeable.

ajt123
    Free Member

South Downs = 29er shurrrrrly

metalheart
    Free Member

Is the mk2 a 27.2 pin? The larger seat tube stiffens things up (and helps with a more direct transmission). So Soul now has this as well….

flattyre
    Free Member

Yeah mk2 soul 27.2 seat post/tube, must be a big part of it. The nicest feel of any frame I’ve had. Was disappointed Solaris didn’t feel similar…

metalheart
    Free Member

Yeah mk2 soul 27.2 seat post/tube, must be a big part of it.

Yup, (litespeed) soda was stiffer than the mk1 soul! Transmission was way more direct though.

flattyre
    Free Member

I thought it pedalled well to be honest and raced it a few times. To be honest though I find soul and solaris handling a bit stable/steady rather than agile/playful.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yep I’d agree with that for the Solaris anyway.

Steady and stable ground-covering machine but it does have a nice ride feel and I’m quite happy jumping and doing drops on it. Inspires confidence to have a go at stuff.

Apart from the steep, lumpy bits – as we were saying.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘A bewildering array of steel hard tails’ is closed to new replies.