Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • A bat? A bird? WHAT WAS THAT!
  • cfinnimore
    Free Member

Blitzing through Colinton Dell tonight, a creature of the dark collided with my can head on. Shat myself a bit being reminded how gravity works.(tree)

I am adamant it was a bat, the bike widow says it couldn’t have been because of sonar.

Springwatchers, bird or bat!?

druidh
    Free Member

If your travelling fast enough, you’ll hit bats. I’ve done it a couple of times.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Bats do fly into people, I’ve had to detangle one from my partners hair before.

lipseal
    Free Member

I reckon it was this…

mrmo
    Free Member

bats are easy to hit, done it many a time. i think the sonar is pretty directional so if you approach them from an angle where there not looking, they won’t avoid you.

corroded
    Free Member

How big was it?

imp999
    Free Member

They’ve got him CORNERED.
    They’ve got him OUTNUMBERED.
    They’ve got him TRAPPED.

They’re in TROUBLE…….

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Thankyou one and all. A win for me.

That’s one bat, a squirrel(not that flying one) 100,000 little dogs owned by someone’s gran and the shrew that ran into my wheel.

I’d make a sh!t Buddhist.

Sorry Springwatchers

yetirose
    Free Member

had a bat land on my chest as i was riding along at dusk , it clung to the front of my jacket then flew off again. 🙂

sweepy
    Free Member

Dont animals move up a notch with each reincarnation on account of them not being responsible for their nature?
    You’re doing them a favour, hastening their path to Nirvana 😀

And you’re right and the Mrs is wrong, enjoy that, it doesnt happen often

Kunstler

Up until a few weeks ago, I had never been hit by a bat but then, one night I was hit three times – each a few hundred yards apart.

And guess where this happened… yep, Colinton Dell. At the time, I didn’t think that it could have been bats (moths? beetles?) unless they were all drunk.
    The following night I was heading back from the hills and further along, just before the aquaduct I was struck on the shoulder by a bat which fell to the grass before taking flight again. But it was long enough to see that it was a bat.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Been fishing on loch ness a few nights this week and theres always bats after 10.30pm. They get attracted by the fly line. good watching them in the late blue skies.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

One day, many years from now Shrew may be as magnificent as the swans…
    Ever been pinched by one?
    White winged arrogance. Pretty though.

I’m inspired to start an “Animal Crash” thread but I feel the veggies and grownups would be displeased.

Good.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Kunstler:

I reckon the bats in the love the ubiquitous “wall of flies” rising up from any damp, shaded, wooded area…
    which is everywhere.

i hate flies.

Kunstler

Eye protection and mouth closed. It can’t always be avoided and to be positive about it I’m sure there is some nutritional value (swallowing flies, not bats – they’re full of nutition. And flies.)

I did wonder if in my bat incident that it might be that their sonar senses were impaired. Maybe something down the food chain eating from fruits that ferment that then intoxicate the bats…

For a minute, after the third strike it did feel a little ‘Hitchcock’, like I was being targetted either by a kamikaze bat or mass frenzy. It was much in the same way that a seagull seemed to have a personal issue with me when I lived in Comely Bank. It let other people go by peacefully but I’d always get dive bombed and shrieked at on my way back from the supermarket.

Medusa touch version of Dr Dolittle. I love the animals, me. So I do.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Riding at dusk/night, next time do it in disguise to blend in!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘A bat? A bird? WHAT WAS THAT!’ is closed to new replies.