Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 9sp vs 10sp lock rings?
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Do these have different splines? Only run 9sp on the mtbs, but when I went to change cassette on the road bike, I couldn’t get the lock ring off 🙁

Matt_SS_xc

Campag does…..

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

I went from 9sp to 10sp cassette without having to change tools. SRAM and Shimano seem interchangeable whether 9sp or 10sp. What manufacturer is the cassette on your road bike?

unovolo
    Free Member

I have several SRAM, Shimano and random aftermarket ones, the thread size and spine interface are all the same the only difference was diameter depending on whether the it was going onto a 11 or 12 tooth top cog.

No experience of Campag ones.

rkk01
    Free Member

Hhhm. Madone 4.5. Wanted to swap back wheel, from the flimsy Bonty Race to a Campag Zonda… Couldn’t get the cassette off using my mtb tools.

Superficial
    Free Member

Do you run Campag? If so, that explains why the lockring is different. If not, will the Campag rear wheel play nicely?

premier
    Free Member

Splines are the same but some hubs have a bigger shoulder on the axel end cap that means that some cassette tools don’t fit in the gap as the inside of the tool is too wide for the gap – hope that makes sense!

rkk01
    Free Member

All sorted. Seems I was trying to use a very old spline set from the bottom of th toolbox. All good when I found the right one 😯

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘9sp vs 10sp lock rings?’ is closed to new replies.