Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 9mm thru hub (front) tcs compatable wheelset for my gravel bike
  • burko73

Im after some new wheels for my gravel bike. Want to replace the non tubeless cotic branded wheels (keep them for the slick tyres i’m using with them) and get some other wheels for my 40c nanos which id like to run tubeless.

What are my options – who/ where does 9mm thru axle hubs?

Have looked at the alpkit 700 cross wheels with wtb rims and they seem excellent value but they are normal QR. I know this will work but means I need to undo the qr every time I remove the wheel (rarely).

Some wheels at on one/ planet x but only in odd hub spacing at the rear and 12mm axles.

Anyone got any other ideas? need a tcs compatable rim.

RustyMac

9mm through hubs are fairly readily available, Hope, DT Swiss, superstar will all do different adapters to allow you to run a 9mm front axle.

Have looked at the alpkit 700 cross wheels with wtb rims and they seem excellent value but they are normal QR. I know this will work but means I need to undo the qr every time I remove the wheel (rarely).

skewer to take the wheel out.

burko73

Yep, meant undo the skewer to remove the wheel.

nixie

If you go for a hope pro2/evo/4 based front hub I have the 9mm through axle adapters and a superstar axle for sale.

thepodge
    Free Member

This is something I’ve been looking at recently too and the DT Swiss / Superstar through axle looks the least faff

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If the Superstar one has the QR mechanism then the DT RWS is a lot better, does up much tighter which is what gived the stiffness. Might not make much difference on a gravel bike though.

I have Stans Iron Cross on Hope 2 EVOs with DT RWS 9mm and 10mm thru axles on my tripster. Everything I have tubeless has been no problem, but someting like stans grails might be better if you want to run road type pressures at some point.

teasel
    Free Member

but someting like stans grails might be better if you want to run road type pressures at some point, blud.

Fixed that for ya.

8)

burko73

i have some nano tcs tyres. i had an idea (they are a tight as a ba&*%$d on the cotic rims) that the stans rims are a little bigger than usual and hence are an impossible fit with the wtb tyres.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Aye run the nano tyres on me iron crosses wiv nah problems, blud

burko73

Turner guy, are they the tcs version?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

actually they are the 40c nano races, not the TCS version. Although the first review on the WTB site says

I’m riding my 2nd set of TCS tubeless on Stan’s Iron Cross rims with 60ml of Stan’s sealant and have never had a single issue with air loss or burping even at 25 psi.

These tires rock!

I don’t seem to have an issue with air loss.

burko73

I had an air loss issue after mullering the tube getting the thing on! I can’t run tubeless on my current rims unfortunately. Looking to get some new wheels and run the nanos tubeless and keep the contis on the current rims for road duties.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘9mm thru hub (front) tcs compatable wheelset for my gravel bike’ is closed to new replies.