Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 9mm Bolt Through Axles – Worth it?
  • letmetalktomark

I have only just come to realise that my Pro 2 front hub is compatible with these 😳

They seem good value with the QR and axle coming in at under £30.

But are they worth it?

Is there really a reduction in flex?

For me fork in question is a Recon Race SL (120mm) on the front of my Soul.

Interested to hear thoughts 🙂

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I’ve got them I find it difficult to tell really the problem is I have them on my heavy more study wheels.

Obviously my bike feels much more stable with this wheels than my light XC wheels.

brant
    Free Member

I found them very good. We bought some hubs like that when I was at on-one. Called it the 456 hub. Really stiffened up the front end compared to a normal QR.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    letmetalktomark

brant – Member

I found them very good. We bought some hubs like that when I was at on-one. Called it the 456 hub. Really stiffened up the front end compared to a normal QR.

Thanks Brant 8)

I was guessing that it probably should but always good to hear it working in practice 🙂

Cheers,

Mark

kimbers

yes well for me anyway
    stiffened up my floats with pro2 on mavic717s
    of note is that im not lightweight like to ride drops and jumps and land them badly

brant
    Free Member

It’s not as good as a proper bolt through, but if you can do it for £30, I’d definitely do it.

Andy

If anyone wants a cheap 9mm skewer to try it I have a new, unused Fire Eye one from CRC, same as the superstar one, in my tools box you can have for £5.50. PM me

Paceman
    Free Member

Is an adaptor kit needed for Hope ProII & ProIII hubs?

If so, anyone got a link?

Hairychested
    Free Member

So, with a ProII I need a 9mm skewer (say from SSC) and what else? I run it as a regular QR hub now.

kimbers
    jonb
    Free Member

Can you do rear wheels too? Is there much point.

Paceman
    Free Member

I’m assuming Pro3 hubs can’t be converted?

kimbers

yes u can 10mm thru axel

yes you do feel a difference especially on multi pivot full suss bikes

iainc

just fitted the DT one onto a Pro2 on 717 rim and Fox 140RLC on Orange 5. makes a quite noticeable difference to the feel of the front end. I also bought the Superstar Skewer – it feels just like the old QR though 😥

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Got one on the back of my Bullit, stiffens things up a bit, but not sure how noticeable it is when you ride it.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Wasn’t there somebody here showing industrial axles that were DT-like but waaay cheaper?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘9mm Bolt Through Axles – Worth it?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts