• This topic has 78 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • 9.3% Council Tax Rise
  • MrPottatoHead

What’s everybody else in for this year? Some sneaky local government tactics have allowed such a big hike in my area.

mattbee

4.5% for us.

ton

5%. not too bad. one of the few ways the council get some money in.
    government cuts have decimated their coffers.

mrston has worked for the housing department for 33 years.

Phil_H

3% for Fife

BoardinBob

7.5%

scotroutes

Depends on banding

Kryton57

5% North London, 8% fuel rises 0% pay increase – we’re all getting poorer!

jambourgie
    Free Member

What is it actually spent on. £1000 PA seems an awful lot just to collect and incinerate some rubbish. I’d happily opt-out and burn my own in the yard. There isn’t much anyway cos I don’t have kids. I don’t make use of the police either. Seems a bit unfair sometimes, living on one’s own, not a rabid consumer. Yet pay the same as the ten-cars sprog-factory across the road.

Actually, that’s rubbish. Get the singletons discount.

sockpuppet

Yes, that’s right, councils do nothing at all except collect your bin bags.

Hang on – I’m sure there’s something else, can’t think of it just now.

chakaping
    Free Member

I felt like that when I was a young man jambourgie, but the council tax is probably the most efficient form of taxation we have.

Here’s some info on what it pays for in Manchester, as an example…
    http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/500337/what_it_pays_for/5528/what_your_council_tax_pays_for

Liftman

Edinburgh 3% plus an additional 17.5% thanks to the SNP

br
    Free Member

I don’t make use of the police either

Well, not until you need to.

We’ve been down the ‘pay per adult’ approach, remember Thatcher (and her demise)?

scotroutes

Liftman – Member
    Edinburgh 3% plus an additional 17.5% thanks to the SNP

Council tax in Edinburgh is up by 20.5%? I suppose all those PFI payments are adding up.

Drac

I don’t make use of the police either

You don’t use crime prevention or the police arresting and prosecuting crimials who may have targetted you at some point?

winston
    Free Member

7% for me taking my annual payment to well north of 3k

oldtalent
    Free Member

When i was young and penniless i was very anti poll tax. I never paid it.
    Now I’m old and loaded i wish they would bring it back. Make everyone pay their way. Being single and childfree i do feel like i am subsiding the rest of the country.

ransos
    Free Member

I don’t make use of the police either.

I’ve never called the fire brigade, but I’d rather they were available, just in case. That means paying for them.

convert

I don’t make use of the police either.

You’ve not really thought that through have you.

It does feel a bit harsh the local councils getting starved beyond possible by central government and getting to look like the bad guys when they raise a little more locally.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

3% here in Cheshire

jambourgie
    Free Member

Well, not until you need to

I shan’t be requiring a tazering to the face any time soon. And I definitely don’t want to pay for it.

We’ve been down the ‘pay per adult’ approach, remember Thatcher

Interesting, The Poll Tax. I was a bit young to understand it but I remember everyone kicking off about it. Anywhere that sums it up in a nutshell? I’ve done a bit of research on Wiki, but I’d like to know why people thought it was so unfair.

chakaping – Member
    Here’s some info on what it pays for in Manchester, as an example…

Thanks for that. I was half joking, but it’s still good to see where it goes. Youth services, Libraries and parks, and help for the old-timers is ok with me 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

3% here. Band B so not getting wealth taxed on the house either.

rmacattack
    Free Member

i can use one word for this , starts with a C. so many rises yet services are getting worse. the big bosses must be saving up for a new yacht.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’ve never called the fire brigade, but I’d rather they were available, just in case. That means paying for them.

Yeah, but the Fire Brigade are cool. They’ll put out your fire and rescue your cat. The police try to arrest you for things and send you to court. ➡

poolman
    Free Member

Council tax is a bit unfair imo, a 1 bed flat in sw london single occupancy is 1500 pa v the top rate of 3300 pa for a footballers mansion. To qualify for rental of 1 bedder tenant needs to earn c 30k, so ct is c 5% of gross salary. I m guessing the household income of a 2mn house is c 500k so 3300 is pocket money.

Wasnt it the lib dems who wanted the property wealth type tax.

convert

The police try to arrest you for things and send you to court.

You do seem fixated on the ‘consumer’ of the police being the ones they feel up. Kind of not the point.

convert

Council tax is a bit unfair imo, a 1 bed flat in sw london single occupancy is 1500 pa v the top rate of 3300 pa for a footballers mansion. To qualify for rental of 1 bedder tenant needs to earn c 30k, so ct is c 5% of gross salary. I m guessing the household income of a 2mn house is c 500k so 3300 is pocket money.

Interesting, The Poll Tax. I was a bit young to understand it but I remember everyone kicking off about it. Anywhere that sums it up in a nutshell? I’ve done a bit of research on Wiki, but I’d like to know why people thought it was so unfair.

The fact that two people find the council tax unfair for diametrically opposite reasons means it’s probably about right.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i can use one word for this , starts with a C. so many rises yet services are getting worse. the big bosses must be saving up for a new yacht.

Council tax has been frozen or raised by less than inflation for a long time.

Yeah, but the Fire Brigade are cool. They’ll put out your fire and rescue your cat. The police try to arrest you for things and send you to court.

By that logic, the fire brigade are only out to spoil arsonists fun.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

5% 17/18 & 5% 18/19

bikebouy
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    5% North London, 8% fuel rises 0% pay increase – we’re all getting poorer!

I wonder why, no seriously I’m scratching my head and have a furrowed brow.. seems unlikely Brexit has to do with anything, but you know what ?

br
    Free Member

7% for me taking my annual payment to well north of 3k

Eh, big house in Scotland (so including water and sewage)?

project
    Free Member

schools, libraries, social services, youth clubs , leisure centres all stuff ive never used, so am i due a refund.

nick1962
    Free Member

Council tax rises have been capped by central government since 2012 who have also reduced funding to councils by 37% since 2010,disproportionately hitting the poorer authorities-hence the decline in locally funded public services where they are needed most.Now the cap has been lifted hence the above inflation increases.If I was cyncial I would believe this to be a clever Machiavellian stategy of the Tories to turn voters against the parties that control the poor, urban metropolitan councils….

jambourgie
    Free Member

project – Member
    schools, libraries, social services, youth clubs , leisure centres all stuff ive never used, so am i due a refund.

You never went to school? 8)

philxx1975
    Free Member

Yes

, that’s right, councils do nothing at all except collect your bin bags

Rubbish they manage and house the scrotes and shitbags that cant be bothered to get of their lazy arses. The fact you subsidize it means yo get free entry to heaven.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

0% here.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Que?

perchypanther
    Free Member

17.5% for me. Not actually that bothered about it.

MoreCashThanDash

I agree, it’s outrageous charging people for the value of their property, regardless of how many people live there.

We need a system where the charges are based on the number of people who use the services. Much fairer. We could call it the Community Charge.

scotroutes

15.8%

It’s been capped for so long though, I guess it’s due a rise. I don’t have any problem with those in the higher bands taking the brunt of the increase.

kimbers

6% here, tbh, I’d have paid more we have a big house

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘9.3% Council Tax Rise’ is closed to new replies.