Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)
  • 90's Steely Kona's- Retro Content
  • rossi46
    Free Member

Wish i could find a pic of my 96 Cinder Cone, it was a sight to behold!

Here’s one- i would say ‘binning it in style’ but i think the fashion police were after me 😆

djc1245
    Free Member

’97 Cinder Cone.
    Waiting on some Project 2 forks and some flat bars coming my way

dawson

here’s my old Hahanna – let it go for £50 on ebay a few years ago – wish I’d never sold it 🙁

rossi46
    Free Member

£50

😯 criminal!

😆

cooie

Crikey,prob get near that for the frame only on Retro Bike 😉

OCB
    Free Member

The post in my ’92 Fire Mountain is 26.8.
    I can run a Panaracer in 1.95 in the back, but nothing more.
    Upto ’91 the seat-post collar was part of the frame (did I read that up the page somewhere too?)

This was at less than a month old …

(It’s still got it’s F&R reflectors on, threaded forks and quill stem too, none of that fancy new threadless headset malarkey).

Since then it’s been raced, toured on, had suspension, got through several wheelsets and untold component upgrades and is now set up with disc only 29er project 2’s but with a 26″ front wheel (with a Bonty 2.35) and it rides brilliantly.

The next stage in it’s evolution is to give it the same front end as my Swift; so it’ll be getting loop-bars, and a set of Salsa Enabler forks, but sticking with a 26″ 135mm OLN front wheel (rather than a 29er like the Swift has), and there is a WI screw-on freewheel somewhere in it’s future too.

Yeah yeah, so the garden has overgrown a little bit in the 20 years between the pictures … 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

Hypothetically speaking, what would a 93 cinder cone frame & forks be worth these days.

I’m considering combining two of my bikes which would mean getting rid of this.

oldgit
    Free Member

Might just buy a NOS Explosif frame today 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

what steels are the different models made from?

anyone any idea on the top tube length on a 16″ Kona 90’s steely?

messiah
    Free Member

My Explosif, owned by me since new and still in regular use offroad as SS or fixed.

Dropouts replaced by local framebuilder Charlie Ralph at Alves after the chainstay snapped, I also got him to do a rear V-brake cable stop… the paint, dents, and all the other cable stops I left as evidence our time together (and coz I was skint at the time).

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

My mates got my 94 Kilauea (19 inch) with near original spec that he might be willing to sell if anyone is interested. he’s based in Cornwall (Bodmin).

qwerty
    Free Member

oooooooooh – i’ve just purchased a complete 16″ Hahanna off ebay for £60, not too old as ahead, i think its gonna get the WI SS treatment, ….now i just need to collect it and inform the wife that it may not actually be for her :/

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Rossi46- Your friend has good taste, I’ve got a DX v-brake on the back of my Lava Dome and a disc up front. Love this thread!

oldgit
    Free Member

messiah, just how long have you had a hoes pipe ban?

zippykona

You look at a 90s Trek and you just want to put it in a skip. All these bikes just want me to put them in my front room so I can look at them.
    I love you all!

rossi46
    Free Member

Your friend has good taste, I’ve got a DX v-brake on the back of my Lava Dome

That DX v brake is mine 😆 i lent it to him years ago, i might have to wrestle it back off him in exchange for some Avids. I have the other DX’s on the front of the Cinder Cone (to go with the red Sid’s).

Thanks Donk for the rear v brake adaptor- its made the bike look all tidy 😀
    Still trying to scrape £30 for a seatpost and collar before i can go ride 😥
    Think it’s 26.8, but my friends calipers are broke too.

More pretty scenic pics to follow when i can go ride 😀

Bregante

I’ve just bought myself this! 8)

My ’97 Lava Dome with 2000 X-Vert Supers. Sold my Project 2’s a few years ago like an idiot – got £50 for them though iirc

PTR
    Free Member

I havn’t read if you found the v-brake collar, but what I did was to use the existing collar, that I see you still have. I replaced the bolt with an old barrel adjuster from a rear mech, turned the collar 90 degrees and ran the cable through it.

qwerty
    Free Member

oooooooooh – i’ve just purchased a complete 16″ Hahanna off ebay for £60, not too old as ahead, i think its gonna get the WI SS treatment, ….now i just need to collect it and inform the wife that it may not actually be for her :/

Turned out to be pretty tatty and its 21.5″ett too short for me so the Mrs gets it!

bigdawg
    Free Member

heres my erm… mint 97 hei hei pictured tihs weekend…

Keando

my ’92 Cinder cone

Which has now been replaced by a ’94 Kilauea 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Very nice Kilauea…

My 92 Lava Dome recently rebuilt into 7 speed guise (using almost all the old components) with uber practical mudguards for child trailer towing duties.

20 years old this year..!

Seven Speed Hero

‘Scuse the shonky phone photo – just back from a shakedown run. Seven speed shifts so well..!

(Driveway, weeds, garage door paint etc. I know)

*High 5’s 7 speed buddy*

racefaceec90

i love the old steel konas.i always wanted one,but alas alak i never did buy one (although i was close to buying a lava dome 1989-90? like this one 🙂
    i have seen a lovely explosif (the old copper coloured one) on the k & a canal near bradford on avon.
    i suppose my charge duster is the nearest i will get to riding one of those konas (it is pretty similar looking to the kona frames also tange prestige tubing 🙂

rossi46
    Free Member

heres my erm… mint 97 hei hei pictured tihs weekend…

Proper 😀

pitduck
    Free Member

mine`s a 97 cindercone ,Mr lee off of retrobike gave it me 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

IMG_3493 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

My rather trick (trick as in the original term for bling) 1993 Explosif. Just resprayed and covered in some rather drool worthy componentry. Maguras, Mavi ceramics on Goldtec hubs, Royce BB, Middleburns, XT drivetrain with gripshift. It’s basically a minter and will get its first ride on the Retrobike southern ride at Leith Hill very soon

🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

PP – you need a plinth in your lounge 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah. I’m scared to ride it! But it WILL be used albeit sunny summer trail rides only. That paint cost a fekkin FORTUNE!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just need to get that seatpost polished though. 🙂

rossi46
    Free Member

Retrobike southern ride at Leith Hill

Wish i could get myself there 😥 i’ll be on holiday this time. Maybe next time 😉

pp- that Explosif is loverly!

thepodge
    Free Member

I think I’ve found a crack in mine. Looks like rust has eaten through the chainstay bridge joint.

After almost 20 years it might be time to retire it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think I’ve found a crack in mine. Looks like rust has eaten through the chainstay bridge joint.

After almost 20 years it might be time to retire it.

Get it repaired! £70 for a new chainstay from Argos Cycles, I bet you could find it cheaper elsewhere. 🙂

Old Konas never die, they just get cooler! 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

I could probably pick up a new frame for that price. Once you’ve factored in a respray and that it’s my commuter it’s not worth spending the money, I’ll only be needing to fix something else soon after.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The price isn’t necessarily the point though…..

My Explosif frame has cost me a gnats under £400 including buying the frame, forks, paint, frame mods and decals but it’s perfect now. It’s not worth it in ££££ but, hey, it’s mine and it’s unique. 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

Price is the point to me, it’s a ratty old bike that gets locked up in town in all weathers, it’s not a restoration project.

relliott6879
    Free Member

Stick it up for sale on here then, I’m fairly sure you’ll have your arm snapped off.

Just out of interest… what frame, year and size is it?

miketually
    Free Member

Once you’ve factored in a respray

Price is the point to me, it’s a ratty old bike that gets locked up in town in all weathers, it’s not a restoration project.

I can think of one way to make it cheaper then: Hammerite

Depending upon where the crack is, you could probably araldite a sheet of thin metal around it and it’ll run fine.

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to break my Explosif for 15 years. I have a love/hate relationship with it. When the chainstay snapped at the dropout it wasn’t “killed” enough so I got it fixed… I need to rip the headtube off it or destroy the main tubes… then, and only then, will I call it properly dead 😈

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘90's Steely Kona's- Retro Content’ is closed to new replies.