Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 9000ft ascent over 30 miles – how long to complete?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Mostly paved surface, some (2) rocky sections, same amount of descent as climb over the distance (ie twenty valleys)

Not done it yet but considering the plausibility in a day

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What do you mean by paved ? A road ?

Quite a few sportives with over 10,000ft climbing & 100 miles in6 hrs or so

deadkenny
    Free Member

Depends on the gradients involved at least, and any technical bits. Straight climbs or twisty?

Plus fitness and stamina.

I can spend a good day just doing a 30 miler in the Surrey Hills over 5 or 6 hills. That’s around 3000ft climbing I think, maybe 4000 if you add in Box Hill etc. Though that’s at a very social pace if with a group, plenty of stops, chats, food etc 😀 . Myself could be 3 or 4 hours. Off road that is and less of the paved/smooth stuff.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I did 5500ft over 34 miles on a ride in Majorca in 2h40mins. Was on holiday in blistering heat so was definitely a gentle pootle with a few sight seeing stops along the way. I don’t think the extra 3500ft of climbing would add a huge amount of time – maybe 3.5hrs? definitely doable in a day assuming the terrain isn’t too tricky.

qwerty
    Free Member

Thats alot of climbing, isn’t it?

martinhutch

It’s not only a lot of climbing, it must be a lot of very steep climbing! I’d normally expect about 1,500 ft of ascent per 10 miles on lumpy Dales ride.

antigee

roughly that’s an average 12% gradient (roughly I’m not doing the trig debate on accurate gradient calcs), 15 miles so how fast do you ride up a 12% gradient?

for me that would be 3 hours ascending, less than an hour descending, several cafe stops and a lot of thinking about how much beer I’d deserve

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve been taking a couple of hours to do around 1000m ascent recently (at a relaxed sort of pace) but as most of the climbs around here are around the 200/250m mark a fair bit of the time is spent going down or on the flat.

jam-bo

9000ft is a massive amount of climbing in 30 miles. Are you sure you got your numbers right?

siloseven
    Free Member

I’d love to see the profile of the route, I can’t imagine it’s rideable – more like mountaineering

breadcrumb

It’s got the right kind of ratio for a lakes hike-a-bike.

Quick look through my strava shows 2200ft in 6.5 miles, 1.5 hrs moving.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Where’s that then? Hawai?

br
    Free Member

9000ft is a massive amount of climbing in 30 miles. Are you sure you got your numbers right?

+1 Sounds like the off-piste DH stuff we do in the Borders.

matt_outandabout

Three times up the Ben?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘9000ft ascent over 30 miles – how long to complete?’ is closed to new replies.