Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 9 speed vs 10 speed Shimano
  • parisroubaix

Thinking of making the move to 10 speed. What do people think of the pros and cons- it it worse at shifting in the mud? Any major advantages apart from extra ratios and smaller ratio gaps between the gears? ould probably get xtr chainset shifters and rear mech but xt everything else if that makes a difference to advice.

martymac

i have 1 bike with 9 speed, 1 bike with 10 speed.
    honestly, i cant tell the difference, i dont notice big jumps between gears on either.
    the only thing i have noticed is i rarely need to use the biggest sprocket at the rear. (on 10 speed)
    i only have 10 speed because i bought a new bike which had it fitted, but honestly, unless your shifters and chainrings and sprockets all need replacing i wouldnt bother.
    (im not sure if the mechs will need replacing to make the change)

njee20
    Free Member

I’d agree with the above – unless you’re switching to a double, or need all the parts 10 speed is pointless. I’ve been using it just over 18 months, no degradation in performance in the mud, doesn’t wear out quicker, and I do think the wider cassette is good. Don’t see the point in 3×10 myself though. YMMV

popartpoem
    Free Member

Like others, the 3 x 10 came with the bike. Unlike others, I find 10 speed slightly better & tend to be able to stay on the middle ring for much more than previously … which leads me to think 2 x 10 would be ideal for me.

Would I go to the expense of replacing 9 speed? Probably not.

jonnyrockymountain

I’am running 1×10 best thing ever
    I have 11-36 rear cassette and 3 different ring choice on front dependent on ride and conditions ie 32,34,36.

dobo
    Free Member

i mostly got 9 speed stuff, but was making the transition to new 10 speed on the cx until i did the sums, ridiculous price, i now use 8 speed cassette, 10 speed campy shifters and 10 speed ultegra 6600 cranks and some 9 speed mech for about the quarter price and similar weight, all works great bomb proof and cheap to replace.
    9 speeds no more superior to 8 speed than 10 is to 9 really. i do like my xtr 9 speed shifters and rapid rise on the mtb though

qwerty
    Free Member

I had 1 speed, now I have 20 speeds, I can now get up big moofa hills, as yet I have seen no mud

gee
    Free Member

1×10 is fantastic. I have 9 speed XTR on one bike as 1×9 and 10 speed XTR on the other as 1×10. The 10 speed is a lighter shift action and nicer spread of ratios. There is a bit of a jump somewhere in the middle of a 9 speed cassette which 10 speed doesn’t have. The 9 speed shifter is nicer as it has a larger shiny metal thumb lever that I prefer the shape of, although the release lever is a nicer shape on 10 speed.

If you run a triple chain set I wouldn’t bother upgrading unless all your mechs and shifters are also knackered.

GB

parisroubaix

Thanks, my stuff is in vgc, although I suppose that gives it very good resale value. Prices of the new xtr are rather steep though. 2 years ago my xtr chainset was 200 quid now they are 320.

snowpaul
    Free Member

hmmm

I have had this conversation with friends – cost vs performance lead them to say – dont bother…

I have decided I would rather run my 8/9 spd kit into the ground / save my cash and actually use the money to stay in a nice YHA somewhere with proper riding…

paul

parisroubaix

Thanks Paul. 9 speed works so well, I agree its hard to justify if your kits in good nick. I have already invested in some new shimano saint brakes, and top end ust tyres this week. I’ve also made a 15mm qr adaptor with a hope adaptor and a lathe for my crossmax xls so future fork upgrades are easy and cost effective. Probably better investment to upgrade the fork for increased stiffness esp with the saint brakes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘9 speed vs 10 speed Shimano’ is closed to new replies.