Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 9 speed Ultegra STI mystery non shift question.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I fitted a second hand set of 9 speed Ultegra STIs to my touring bike. I have the same set up on a couple of other bikes but have never experienced this quirk.

When shifting down the cassette (big to small spockets) a step at a time, then shifting back up, all is good.

If I shift down two or more clicks when I come to shift back up again, the shifter has no resistance and induces no movement in the rear mech, letting it return to the unsprung position and shifting again it works fine.

What is going on?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Aren’t they supposed to shift three gears on a mufti shift? Is the third part of the shit missing, leaving the shifter in no mans land?

Cubed
    Free Member

Open up the lever and try WD40, you may need to drown it in the stuff. If it hasn’t been looked after there may dirt and grease interfering with the mechanism. If this doesn’t work – it’s stuffed, as a second hand mech – it will cost more to get it rebuilt.

cynic-al
    Free Member

you mean you have to down-shift (i.e. to lower gear, bigger sprocket) twice after a multiple upshift?

I have some ancient shifters that do this, an age thing I think.

druidh
    Free Member

That sounds feasible.

Hi GW – * waves *

mcmoonter
    Free Member

you mean you have to down-shift (i.e. to lower gear, bigger sprocket) twice after a multiple upshift?

I have some ancient shifters that do this, an age thing I think.

Thanks folks, I’ll give it a good skoosh of WD40 and see what happens.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I had some thing similar. WD didn’t do it so I soaked them in contact cleaner which stripped out all the grease. then I used WD. All fine now.

mtbfix

I ha done old 105s that suffered the same. Even after all sorts of lube the shifter never worked properly again with an intermittent missing shift. Canned them in the end.

njee20
    Free Member

Those Ultegra 9 speed STIs were really poor IMO! Dura Ace ones lasted forever, but the Ultegras were crap, they’ve done well to last this long!

Hi GW – * waves *

Seen that a few times, dunno if always from you, have I missed something!?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Random WD skooshing seems to have worked. It’s tricky getting it right into the gubbins while still fitted to the bars.

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t take it apart, you’ll never get it back together again!

emanuel
    Free Member

now you’ve cleaned it,spray some grease into it.

m1kea
    Free Member
    flap_jack
    Free Member

mine never recovered from this despite much use of aerosols…but they did last 10 years up to that point.

downtube shifters are the answer

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Adds spray grease to shopping list.

stuarty
    Free Member

Scrubs off spray grease from mcmoonters list and adds shifters

😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘9 speed Ultegra STI mystery non shift question.’ is closed to new replies.