Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 9 speed road STi levers that work with Alivio calipers
  • slowbloke
    Free Member

Having just removed some Alivio levers and calipers from my Stache as the levers are ginormous and tend to trap your other fingers and generally not allow you to put the other controls where you want them I was thinking I may be able to update the generally quite rubbish Avid (BB5 I think) cable disks on my cx bike. Anyone know which levers would work with this?

sillyoldman

There aren’t any 9 speed road STIs for hydraulic discs. Closest is the ST-RS405 10 speed Tiagra level option, but as well as the 9/10spd issue, you’d need a new school long arm front mech or work with the LH STI’s actuation ratio, and a 4700 rear mech as new Tiagra has a different actuation ratio at the rear compared to other 10 speed groups.

Basically – not really economical in order to re-use a basic calliper – I’d sell them as a complete brake and. Replace with something you prefer on the MTB and replace the BB5s with BB7s, Spires or CX77s.

njee20
    Free Member

Levers don’t vary, calipers do. you need calipers with a pull ratio suited to road levers. Someone probably does a conveyer, but more hassle than it’s worth for cheap brakes IMO.

twisty

Reading between the lines I am guessing you want to put your alivo brakes on your CX bike and Avid brakes on your Stache?

Also reading between the lines I am guessing your alivo calipers are mechanical not hydraulic?

All STI levers have roughly the same non MTB brake compatible cable pull you would need to use an adapter e.g. from http://problemsolversbike.com/ or you could put some nice brake cables and BB7 calipers on the cross bike and get some nice levers for your stache to work with the alivo calipers.

slowbloke
    Free Member

OK, that explains why I couldn’t find any. I’ll replace the BB5s when the drivetrain needs replacing and bin the Alivios – they are hardly worth eBaying but if someone local to Newton Abbot wants them then just shout.

slowbloke
    Free Member

twisty – Member
    Reading between the lines I am guessing you want to put your alivo brakes on your CX bike and Avid brakes on your Stache?

Also reading between the lines I am guessing your alivo calipers are mechanical not hydraulic?

I’ve put some better hydraulics on the Stache – the Alivio calipers are hydraulic they just have rather cumbersome levers.

njee20
    Free Member

Ah, I was assuming mechanical. Yep, won’t work without converter thingummies. Not worth it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘9 speed road STi levers that work with Alivio calipers’ is closed to new replies.