Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 9 Speed Medium Cage (GS) Rear Mech for 36T cassette?
  • NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Looking to fit a 9 speed 11-36T cassette as part of a 1×9 set up. Are there any medium cage (GS) rear mechs that work with the 36T cog? Or do i need to fit a standard long cage mech?

(Im keen to keep a medium cage mech if i can as ive used it with a 1×9 11/34 set up until now and its helped to keep the chain nice and tight)

steve_b77
    Free Member

I think it’ll take it, but are you sure it’s a 11-36 and not a 12-36

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

As Steve says 11-34 or 12-36 are your choices with 9 speed unless you are modifying something . I would expect a medium cage should be fine . Put the casette on and try it , worst that can happen is that you’ll have to buy a new long cage mech .

Northwind

I used a medium cage X9 with my modded 11-36… Shifting wasn’t brilliant into the biggest ring, but it was acceptable- always felt a bit like it does at the end of a muddy ride when everything’s a wee bit sticky, but didn’t really get any worse.

kimbers

hmmmim having issues with a 36t casette with 36t chainring on a medium cage rr mech, not sure what the exact problem is though, chain length is a bugger to get right

PaulD
    Free Member

Shimano reckon all their MTB mechs will work with a 36T sprocket.
    Cage length is only to wrap all the excess chain, so is total range dependent.
    Typically 45T for long cage and 33T for medium cage.
    Short cage (Saint is the only MTB mech) is for single chainring only and should be OK for 12-36 cassette with the mode adapter in the correct way.

PaulD

Northwind

PaulD – Member

Shimano reckon all their MTB mechs will work with a 36T sprocket.

They do now. Until they released the 36T 9-speed sprocket they said none of them would, and you had to buy 10-speed if you wanted that sort of nonsense, and this was one of the reasons they were changing format 😆

PaulD
    Free Member

Shimano try to play it safe.
    Their road mechs will handle a 30T easily and some claim a 32T yet Shimano will only state a 27T limit.
    I always back off the load when shifting to a larger sprocket or ring, from my youth with downtube non-indexed levers, so a slightly poor change nowadays would probably go un-noticed by me.

PaulD

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘9 Speed Medium Cage (GS) Rear Mech for 36T cassette?’ is closed to new replies.