Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 9 Speed mech for 10 speed compatibility?
  • Scapegoat

I’m in the process of putting a build together, and had planned to go 9 speed, until I got a bit of a bargain XT chainset. I am therefore in a position where I have a complete 9 speed drivetrain except for the chainset which is now an XT double (M785). As far as I can determine the front mech and shifter can be limited to run as a double, and I’ll need a 10 speed right shifter. What about the rear mech though? Will an SLX M662 long cage run a 11-36 10 speed cassette?

Scapegoat

Alternatively, is there any reason why an XT 10 speed double chainset wouldn’t happily function with a 9 speed chain?

PaulD
    Free Member

Front mech will be OK, SLX will run a 36T but you would need a 10-sp mech, shifter and chain to get it all working. Stick with 2×9 and get a Deore 9sp 12-36 cassette if you wish.

PaulD

Scapegoat

SO let me get that right. You are saying the XT 10 sp double will run with 9 speed cassette and rear mech, with a 9 speed chain, but if I want to run 10 speed I’ll have change the rear mech and get a 10 spd chain?

jamesco

Cassette and chain must match ‘cos of thickness of sprockets/ space in chain, front is no problem mech and chainset seem to run ok in lots of configurations. Rear shifter and rear mech tho’ will need some tweaking/experimentation, some people on here say you must not or cannot mix and match but I find a little tinkering goes a long way , some are definite no no’s others work fine, I say go play .
    Forgot to say shifters must match, ie 10 speed shifter for 10 and 9 speed shifter for 9 sprockets.

PaulD
    Free Member

What james said and confirming you need chain, shifter and rear mech to match the cassette. Front mechs and shifters can be used almost universally (wait for the proven exceptions….).
    All Shimano MTB rear mechs will handle a 36T sprocket.
    9 and 10-speed chains are the same size (11/128″) but 10 is directional/sided to aid shifting. I do not advocate mixing this with a 9-speed set up.
    So, use your 10-speed chainset with a 9-speed drivetrain and all should be fine.

PaulD

Scapegoat

Thanks guys….. off to weigh up my options and have a rummage around in the garage.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘9 Speed mech for 10 speed compatibility?’ is closed to new replies.