Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 9-speed front mech with 10-speed everything else?
  • jamiep
    Free Member

Waiting to go on a new build, I have 10-speed drivechain apart from front mech. Rear mech, both shifters, triple crankset are 3×10 SLX.

Will my current 9-speed SLX triple front mech be ok? I guess if there was any strange reach issue, I wouldn’t mind running it as a double. Not a huge deal but the mech is unused and would be a waste if I then bought a 10-speed one.

Cheers.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Can’t see why it won’t work, i may be about to be proved wrong but it just shifts the chain up and down a bit

jamiep
    Free Member

yeah, thanks, I am guessing that it is just marketing (calling front mechs 9 or 10 speed) but worried that the internal mech size would be different (due to differnt width chains), or such like

gonzy
    Free Member

it will work so long as the shifter is 9sp also. you shouldnt have an issue running the narrower 10sp chain through the front mech. for years i used a 9 sp front mech on an otherwise 8sp transmission without any problems

pimpingimp
    Free Member

I set up a 10spd setup with a 9spd SLX front mech the other day, it was fine.

nealy
    Free Member

It will be fine. I recently went from 3×8 to 2×10 using the same 9sp triple XT front mech and it doesn’t rub and shifts fine (although a 2×10 mech would be better) so you’ll have no problem at all. All left hand front mech shifters are the same cable pull so it doesn’t matter what shifter you use with what mech.

jamiep
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Although that does mean that I now don’t get to buy a shiny new trinket 😳

back2basics
    Free Member

ummm OP your staying with 3 up front?
    i had some issues with triple up front shifts , double up front was fine, but triple had issue, esp. on middle down to granny.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘9-speed front mech with 10-speed everything else?’ is closed to new replies.