• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 9 Speed / 10 Speed chainrings. What's the difference?
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

Need to replace a worn out chainring. Found one online but noticed it’s a 9 Speed. Will that work with a 10 Speed chain/cassette? What’s the difference.

Also, I bookmarked the chainring page on Wiggle the other day. Went back to check something today and the price has changed (gone up). Is that usual? Only a couple of quid but just curious…

IHN

Need to replace a worn out chainring. Found one online but noticed it’s a 9 Speed. Will that work with a 10 Speed chain/cassette? What’s the difference.

Technically, the depth of the rings. Practically, nothing.

Also, I bookmarked the chainring page on Wiggle the other day. Went back to check something today and the price has changed (gone up). Is that usual? Only a couple of quid but just curious…

Yep, dynamic pricing on Wiggle, demand pushes the price up. It might have been you looking at it that made the Wiggle algorithm think it was popular, so making it more expensive for yourself 🙂

jambourgie
    Free Member

dynamic pricing

I KNEW that was a thing!

Seen it on ebay too. I remember watching these photography lights for ages before I bought them. They were £125, then £105, then £112. When I actually bought them they’d gone back to £125. When I queried this, the seller claimed total ignorance. I thought I must’ve imagined it.

whitestone
    Free Member

It’s worth have two different browsers, one for searching for items, one for purchasing. Often the seller will store what you are looking for in a cookie so if you return they can adjust the price (upwards of course). By using a different browser then it won’t use that cookie since each browser keeps its cookies in its own files.

Doesn’t make any difference if the adaptive pricing is done server side.

weatheredwannabe
    Free Member

That advice Mr Whitestone will be a keeper for me. Many thanks. Shame this site doesn’t make stickies.

thomthumb
    Free Member

airlines are the worst for this.

srshaw
    Free Member

I didn’t think there was any difference. I’ve certainly used a rotor 11sp crank with everything from 8sp to 11sp with no issues on my road bike.

I also upgraded my old mtb from 8sp to ten speed and kept the same crank. Again no issues.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

chain thickness variation with increasing gears is all in the outer plates, there’s no change in the internal width of the link and no difference in the rings. My Sram Red rings are marked 10/11 for example.

IHN

chain thickness variation with increasing gears is all in the outer plates, there’s no change in the internal width of the link and no difference in the rings.

You know what, I think he’s right. In that case

Technically, the depth of the rings. Practically, nothing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘9 Speed / 10 Speed chainrings. What's the difference?’ is closed to new replies.