Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • 9 & 12 yr olds hit up Whistler – great video
  • orena45

Don’t think this one’s been posted yet…

Rippers

9 and 12 years old and already bigger cahones than most of us here!

chvck
    Free Member

Awesome stuff!

Also, a touch depressing!

Diane
    Free Member

Flip! 😀 Bless

GEDA
    Free Member

Sorry for the downer but I think all the people on Pink bike raving about the vid are kind of missing the point. They are not doing anything that skilful just stuff that needs commitment and judgement of speed. (Which I am not claiming I have) One thing that kids do have is no fear this means that commitment and judgement is pretty easy to get if you have the opportunity of living in a place like Whistler.

That’s just what children are like, they haven’t got big cahones just no sense of mortality. My son likes nothing better than scaring the bejesus out of me by riding down every set of steps he can find on his 16inch Isla bike. I think I am going to not show him anymore kranked or collective films as he now wonders why I am not riding like Danny Macaskill.

lucien

Puts me to shame……… 😳

chvck
    Free Member

Sorry for the downer but I think all the people on Pink bike raving about the vid are kind of missing the point. They are not doing anything that skilful just stuff that needs commitment and judgement of speed.

What exactly are you defining as skill?

djflexure

What a great vid. And Geda – watch them carve turns, watch them handle the rough ground, even watch them in the air. They are good, perhaps even skillful.

Blower
    Free Member

they can ride geda.

skiboy
    Free Member

fantastic!!! don’t care what anybody recons about skill kahunnas etc, fair play to the boys them’s just doin’ it ma’ man……..

GEDA
    Free Member

The vid is ok, good on them for being able to ride that kind of stuff but its not like they are child prodigies. They are just kids who have had a fantastic opportunity. I am only jealous as I wish I got a vid of my lad the other day when he showed me his “mountain biking track” when he whizzed down some singletrack and then got to a 180 degree tight switchback and did a huge skid round the corner and carried on smooth as.

And I totally admit I am being a moany old kill joy

jimmyjames
    Free Member

GEDA: If you know you’re being a PITA, why bother? You’re argument is ridiculous. Would you say that to those kids faces? They’d laugh at you and ride off.

jimmyjames
    Free Member

Damn, I think a troll just stole my lunch…

walleater

GEDA, have you ridden of the trails in the video?

bigjim

I feel a bit sorry for those kids really, I bet dad is a bit pushy! I started mtbing at 13 and rode stuff on my rigid £200 bike I now wouldn’t do 20 years later on my full susser, you just have a different approach to it all, nothing phases you, so I’m not too surprised seeing kids on those bikes doing that. little one needs a lighter helmet though, his heads flopping everywhere!

grum
    Free Member

Pah, I’d like to see them riding for 60 miles through boggy moorland on a rigid singlespeed. That’s real mountain biking.

alpin
    Free Member

^^ that’s what i thought… “hmmm, like to see ’em doing that on a [insert niche}”

but wait for a few years and they’ll be ripping even bigger stuff. future rampage riders?

i agree with GEDA. kids have a reuced sense of danger, but now that they have mastered stuff that most of us gawp at, they’ll be progressing onto much bigger stuff soon.

i hope you lil’un does, too, GEDA.

walleater

I’ve just watched this again, now I’m home, and still see plenty of skill. But I know many of those trails so can appreciate what they are doing. Even the GLC Drop is a pain in the ass, as it fades before dropping. Something like the A Line rock drop is pretty straight forward, although visually more impressive. Other drops like one just off Dirt Merchant is an uphill launch and has had me on my face in the past. As for the Filthy Ape rock roll right at the beginning….I’ve pussied out of that one…. They are also whipping the bike around in the air blah blah blah….plenty of skillz.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Don’t know why anyone seems surprised that younger human beings get good at this stuff, they are naturally more supple than ageing buggers like me, being supple is an advantage over techy terrain?

That’s probably one of the reasons that young lad on the well known hardtail/whistler DH video is so good.

Also, kids learn quicker than adults with their developing brains? To me, it makes sense, BMX riders have been doing big stunts for decades, kids ride MotoX too.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

That’s probably one of the reasons that young lad on the well known hardtail/whistler DH video is so good.

That young lad who works as warehouseman for Chromag?

So what if kids have less fear and more enthusiasm than adults? Its great to see them riding well and hitting stuff like in that vid.

And to say they are doing nothing skillful is ridiculous.

robsoctane
    Free Member

I agree with Geda in a way – just imagine if you had access to these trails on a regular basis? Not dissin’ the kids though – well done to them, little rippas…

I do think we’d all be better riders if that was our ‘back yard’.

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkclYFNBbpA&feature=related[/video]
    In the skillz stakes skating is 9/10….especially when you’re 6!!!
    Frontside boardslide….IN AN 8FT BOWL!!

ianv
    Free Member

“I feel a bit sorry for those kids really, I bet dad is a bit pushy!”
    Yeah, they dont seem to be enjoying themselves at all! 🙄

The arguments that its nothing special just because they are young, not scared and have a geographical advantage are a bit fatuous IMO. The kids are obviously good and good kids ought to be encouraged, not shot down by jealous adults.

mikey74
    Free Member

The arguments that its nothing special just because they are young, not scared and have a geographical advantage are a bit fatuous IMO. The kids are obviously good and good kids ought to be encouraged, not shot down by jealous adults.

Too bloody right. There is some sense around here afterall.

alpin
    Free Member

i’m not knocking ’em…. just need to clear that up!

walleater

Also, regarding geographical location….which country has been one of the dominating forces in DH racing for the last 15ish years? Ummmm Britain maybe? The likes of Peaty and the Athertons didn’t get good by mincing around fireroads on rigid singlespeeds. If you don’t think the UK has suitable terrain to breed DH stars, then you are clearly looking in the wrong place.

That little skateboarder looks like he’s hating every minute of that. Bloody parents!

robsoctane
    Free Member

Clearly the paper round would be fun. 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

Please god, don’t ever procreate Mr W!!!!Its too scary to comprehend.. 😆

_tom_
    Free Member

Awesome video, definitely got skills!

walleater

Yeah I know what you mean. Getting the cats to do quad back flips is hard work, but even if they break every bone in their bodies they’ll do it!!

flow
    Free Member

Always some bellend trying to put a downer on things. Must be useless on an MTB yourself.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

scott_mcavennie2 – Member

So what if kids have less fear and more enthusiasm than adults? Its great to see them riding well and hitting stuff like in that vid.

And to say they are doing nothing skillful is ridiculous.

As you have replied to my post, I’m not sure if the above reply is aimed at me or someone else, if it is at me, let me remind you of what I said..

Don’t know why anyone seems surprised

scott_mcavennie2 – Member

That young lad who works as warehouseman for Chromag?

I don’t know much about him other than he appeared in a good video that shows what a supple rider on a hardtail can do, that full sussers ain’t essential etc..

This video.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv7TyakE8qw[/video]

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘9 & 12 yr olds hit up Whistler – great video’ is closed to new replies.