Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 8×32 Binoculars under £100, any recommendations?
  • ElShalimo

We want some 8×32 binoculars for looking at wildlife whilst out walking, birds in the garden, for holidays etc. I reckon that 8×32 is the best size for us.
    Can anyone recommend any good binoculars of that size, low weight and up to £100? We could spend more but I reckon they’ll be in the rucsac/bag 90% of the time hence light weight needed.
    cheers

geologist
    Free Member

Rspb optics, v good value and quality for money.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

S/H and Ebay. Loads of bargains about. Good time of year to buy, as people willuv bin given them as pressies, but not actually be using them as it’s too cold to go out, so will flog them get a bit of cash. Or they need to pay off CC bills having overspent at Xmas, things like binos are the first kind of things to go to raise cash.

ElShalimo

elfin – a good idea but my Mrs wants new ones so you get the full warranty

slowoldgit
    Free Member

You could try looking in the RSPB online shop. I’ve bought from their reserve shops before, got the impression they offer a careful choice across the price range.

ElShalimo

slowoldgit – thanks they look good

Anyone else got any recommendations?

Basil

Leupold have always been good for me. Their range is big, the Yosemite range is still available at some online retailers.

sweepy
    Free Member

ive heard good things about these

and the 8×32 look even better, but overbudget

winston_dog
    Free Member

I would always recommend Steiner. Bomb proof and excellent optics.
    These might be a bit heavier than you want but look a bit of a bargain
    Steiner

CountZero

These are excellent. http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/recorprod/1/product/15698/cat/1291/ph/cat/keywords//recor/1/SearchFor//PT_ID/1/product.asp
    £89 for the 8×32, nitrogen filled and waterproof. I have a pair that I bought last Christmas from Ace Cameras, and they’re outstanding for the money.

ElShalimo

thanks for the recommendations so far

anymore?

leffeboy

If you would accept 8x25s instead then I can recommend these

They are easily as good as the much more expensive Nikons that we alread had

derek_starship
    Free Member

8×25 gives an exit pupil diameter of less than 3mm. Image will not be bright. I’d go for 8×42. Not heavy and a bright image. You can get a pair of Nikon Sporter EX 8 x 42 for just over a ton if you shop around.

CountZero

Just noticed the 8×32 Avian Trekker is out of stock, which doesn’t surprise me at all, having used a pair for the last year and been consistently surprised at just how bright and clear the image is, they still have 8×42’s at £119, which I would equally recommend. If I’d had a bit more cash available I would have had the 42’s myself.

ElShalimo

CountZero – I saw that.
    The 8x42s are a lot heavier though 🙁

CountZero

Certainly true, but that’s the trade-off; bigger glass = more weight. Still nowhere near as heavy as traditional style 10×50’s, which is what I used to carry. My neck thanks me for the more compact binocular that is available now.
    It is a trade-off though, the 8×32’s are very pocketable and a delight to use, I can’t tell you how chuffed I am with them.
    For £89 they’re incredible. As I was paying for them the guy in Ace said that he’d just bought a pair to replace an old pair of Leicas!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘8×32 Binoculars under £100, any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.