Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • 89-year-old Great Escape
  • bencooper
    Free Member

Have we done this yet?

An 89-year-old WW2 veteran who was banned by his nursing home from going to France for the D-Day commemorations sneaked out and went anyway.

The pensioner had gone out wearing a grey mac and a jacket underneath with his war medals on, the police force said.

A spokesman said: “We have spoken to the veteran who called the home today and are satisfied that the pensioner is fine and that his friends are going to ensure he gets back to Hove safely over the next couple of days after the D-Day celebrations finish.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-27735086

Good work, Sir 😀

LoCo
    Free Member

Heard that on radio earlier, great story 😀

wwaswas

Chapeau, chapeau sir.

ninfan
    Free Member

Brilliant!

Wonder how long he’ll get in the cooler?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Why was he “banned” from going? Can a care home really ban you from going anywhere?

wwaswas

Can a care hoem really Ban you from going anywhere?

not really, they probably just told him they didn’t think it was a good idea.

but the idea of some old boy sneaking out past a watch tower staffed by Hattie Jaques look-a-likes with his medals pinned to his PJ’s under an old sou’wester is quite an attractive one 🙂

wwaswas

here he is;

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tremendous. Thanks for sharing.

wwaswas

well, a bit of delving = maybe that’s him, tweet from Hove care home and people are putting 2 and 2 together;

https://o.twimg.com/2/proxy.jpg?t=HBgpaHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0cGljLmNvbS9zaG93L2xhcmdlL2U1a3k5bS5qcGcUsAkUqAgAFgASAA&s=CfbTfuQ8z9hXoiE-gtcehyeqdI56cusbZ7Hx_eHLPOU

theotherjonv

Pin another one on alongside that tremendous collection.

Proper heroes these, not someone who kicks / hits a ball for a living. And I say that as a devoted sports fan.

vorlich
    Free Member

Great to see. Same goes for Jock Hutton, doing a parachute jump over Normandy 70 years on. 🙂

wwaswas

It’s been confirmed the bloke above is the one involved.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good show, proper people just get on with it.

They should be encouraged not belittled.

*dofts cap

tang
    Free Member

Fantastic!

ninfan
    Free Member

Can a care home really ban you from going anywhere?

I reckon that with this one, the whole German army couldn’t stop him 😀

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Awesome, in the true sense of the word.

hammyuk
    Free Member

“Banned” – WTF!
    I’d not only have made sure he got to go – I’d of been sat next to the old bugger!!
    It boils my p*ss that someone thought they knew better and told him no – to deny him the respect to stand next to his friends, to remember, to pay his respects to those who still lie there.
    The care home should be named and shamed.
    I love the tweet from Nev Kemp, the police commander for the City of Brighton & Hove, tweeted: “Love this: 89yr old veteran reported missing by care home who said he can’t go to Normandy for #DDay70 remembrance. We’ve found him there!”
    Sounds like he feels the same as the rest of us 😉

higthepig
    Free Member

I’d like to buy that man a beer, next time I’m down that way I’ll try to find him ( providing he is not throwing a ball at the wall in the cooler).

Good on him

Bunnyhop

Brilliant.

rossatease
    Free Member

Good on him, naturally the ‘care’ home are now denying they refused permission, but what a shame nobody thought to accompany him, to check he’d be OK. – ****.

acehtn
    Free Member

Top Man 🙂

jag61

some amazing stories throughout the day, but i think this beats most of them. Bloody Well done Sir 😀 😀 and thankyou
    Damn this high pollen count!! 😉

peterfile
    Free Member

t boils my p*ss that someone thought they knew better and told him no – to deny him the respect to stand next to his friends, to remember, to pay his respects to those who still lie there.

They didn’t ban him, they just couldn’t get him on a proper trip.

That’s a non story though, so the more interesting version went viral instead.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The OP’s link clearly names the care home, it’s : The Pines nursing home in Hove.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Promote that man immediately!
    Hats off!

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Superb…… Grand old fella …… Fair play to him

MoreCashThanDash

….and that is why we won the war. 😆

Northwind

I hope he climbed out the window and disappeared…

ninfan
    Free Member

Wait till they find the Glider on top of his wardrobe!

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

They didn’t ban him, they just couldn’t get him on a proper trip.

That’s a non story though, so the more interesting version went viral instead.

Thought there had to be another side to the story as banning sounded a bit extreme.

But still doesn’t take anything away from him. Love the fact that he’s still got his fighting spirit and went anyway, top man 8)

grantway
    Free Member

Brilliant Good on Him 😉

acehtn
    Free Member

He is now on his way back to Stalag luft Pines, his Mrs is awaiting his return and not impressed 🙂

That might have something to do with the photo flashed on the news this morning of him clutching a bag of duty free, while posing with 4 ladies in uniform 🙂

When i grow up/old i want to be like him.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

it’s a total non story which ever way you look at it…

“man goes to france without telling wife”

quick, i’m just going to make a call to big whoop magazine 🙄

Coyote
    Free Member

Yeah rob, whatever.

jaylittle
    Free Member

It appears he was too late to book onto an organised trip. The ferry company that brought him back have offered free trips in the future to any further WWII events.

ninfan
    Free Member

I’ll bet he’s not had to buy a pint all weekend, the sly old bugger!

For what it’s worth, I think the ‘we couldn’t get him on an organised trip’ is a bit weak, had they contacted one of the regimental or ships organisations, or even put out something on twitter, then heaven and earth would have been moved to get him there!

acehtn
    Free Member

Media spin and PR story is ace.

Brittany ferries photo of him with duty free and 4 ladies in uniform 🙂

2 and 3 Para adopted him on the trip home and looked after there new best mate 🙂

Going on forum chatter elsewhere, he might have a busy week with lots of post from squaddies, bottles of scotch and maybe the odd baseball glove and ball.

hora
    Free Member

We should write to him to thank him and for his journey

oldgit
    Free Member

Looks like he pulled as well 8)

robdob
    Free Member

For what it’s worth, I think the ‘we couldn’t get him on an organised trip’ is a bit weak, had they contacted one of the regimental or ships organisations, or even put out something on twitter, then heaven and earth would have been moved to get him there!

I would have booked holiday off at short notice, driven him there and paid for a top hotel for him to stay in and all the food and drink he wanted.
    It still wouldn’t be enough to say thank you enough, but I’d consider it my duty to get him there and treat him like a king for the duration.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘89-year-old Great Escape’ is closed to new replies.