Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • 853 to 456C – New frame content
  • Seamus
    Free Member

New frame arrived this week so I have swapped the parts from this

to this

Frame is 20", all parts except the headset and the seatpost/clamp taken from the 853 frame. From previous threads the design is not everyones cup of tea but I think it looks good, the photos don't do the colour justice, the red is deeper than it looks in the photos.
    First proper ride tonight, can't wait 😀

Hit with the ugly stick, big red gate comments welcome

stanley

Hhhmmm,

Swap them back ?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Although Titanium 853 steel frames are expensive, they … will last a lifetime; something that can’t be said of a lightweight carbon fibre frame.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Do you need someone to look after or store the old frame for you?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

How did the 853 frame handle the 140mm forks – am interested – since I've just bought a second hand 853 off here 🙂

JPcapel
    Free Member

I was close to buying the 456 carbon myself, the "look" of it was what held me back, am sure it will ride well – am fan of the 456 frame, but do think looks remain an acquired taste…… red as well….

Hope it rides brilliantly(?)

Seamus
    Free Member

futon river crossing – Member
    How did the 853 frame handle the 140mm forks – am interested – since I've just bought a second hand 853 off here

Don't know, they 130mm talas, felt good at this but tended to drop to 110 for the uphill bits

Seamus
    Free Member

Charlie – need to hold onto the 853 frame for when the Carbon one inevitably breaks 😉

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I keep looking at the before and after and just think….WHY?

(very happy black 853 owner here)

oh yeah and your garden furniture looks like it needs treating

rOcKeTdOg

tell me the graphics aren't supposed to be there?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

But you might die horribly when it breaks, with shards of carbon shattered throughout your body. Then you'll feel daft won't you. Best give it to me now and save yourself the embarrassment.

clubber
    Free Member

Although Titanium 853 steel frames are expensive, they … will last a lifetime; something that can’t be said of a lightweight carbon fibre frame.

Please tell me that's tounge-in-cheek…

z1ppy

CharlieMungus – Member

[PAGING] Al, please report to this thread [/PAGING]

OHH, sorry but that really doesn't look great in red, quite like them in stealth black though. But WTF, ignore us and get out and ride it!

druidh
    Free Member

I think they look great btw

bigyinn
    Free Member

Grass needs cutting, roses and shrubs need pruning and ivy needs to be under control. Hinges on the gate need oiling.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How did the 853 frame handle the 140mm forks – am interested – since I've just bought a second hand 853 off here

Pretty good actually. I've had 130mm coil Recons, 115mm Rebas and now 140mm Vanillas (Coil) on my 853. 130 is undoubtedly the sweet spot, 115 being noticably faster sttering and better climbing though, but not as versitile. 140mm is fine. Very slightly wandery on very steep climbs, but great on twisty singletrack and more gnarly downhills. I've had the Vanillas on it for 2 years now and they suit me perfectly.

My 853 is not for sale or upgrade though. I love it, best MTB I've ever had. 🙂

epicyclo

The initial colour isn't important.

Any bike that isn't mud coloured isn't being used 🙂

Andy

I wonder how those 456C's deal with chainsuck….. 😈

clubber
    Free Member

Same as most lightweight steel frames, I imagine 🙄

I love my 853 inbred too – I'd agree with PP – 130 is probably the sweet spot but I'm sure 140 would be fine, just as 115mm is ok too.

Seamus
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member
    But you might die horribly when it breaks, with shards of carbon shattered throughout your body. Then you'll feel daft won't you

Andy – Member
    I wonder how those 456C's deal with chainsuck…..

Sounds like chainsuck is the least of my worries!

All positive so far then 😛

ononeorange

Mmmm, lovely-looking black 853.

Andy

Yes I had two 853 Inbreds; geared and singlespeed. Sold the last one when i got my swift and not sure if I dont regret that decision. Probably why I'm putting forks and discs on my '98 Explosif. Anyway 853s are lovely frames! I ran 130mm U-turn revs on both frames. Fantastic at 130 down and along. Great at 100 up.

coogan
    Free Member

Hit with the ugly stick, big red gate

matthewlhome
    Free Member

that really isnt a good colour choice!
    Looks like one of those old 'Boss' bikes 😉

Hicksy
    Free Member

I've been looking at those and the new 456Ti frames – please let us know how it rides.

Did the new frame feel much lighter than the 853? It looks good for a 20" – my size too. Enjoy your new bike. Have fun!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Did the new frame feel much lighter than the 853?

I'd bloody well hope so! If it's not 1lb (at least) lighter it's a waste of money! 🙂

Seamus
    Free Member

Hicksy – The frame is 1.5lbs lighter than the 853 frame, 3.5lb vs 5ish. Build weighs just under 26lbs, I'll let you know how it rides

epicsteve
    Free Member

Hmm – the 456C's look ok in black but I'm not convinced about the red.

bol

I like it. It's distinctive. The red works for me too.

Seamus
    Free Member

Don't know where the pics went, maybe they've been removed to protect the inocent 😕

Just back from the first ride and while the colour/style/graphics are not to eveyones taste, on-one have got the ride spot on. On the ups it feels faster than the 853, but maybe not as much as I imagined. Its on the rocky descents that the bike really shines. Hard to explain but the front end feels much more solid, seems to allow the forks to work better without the skitteriness (sp) of the 853, the back end just follows without any fuss. Don't know whether its the frame material, geometry, tapered head tube or whatever but it certainly works for me, well worth the upgrade.

Tuppers
    Free Member

I picked my Carbon 456 up on Friday (16" white). Have to echo the fact that the frame rides superbly – absolute missile!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘853 to 456C – New frame content’ is closed to new replies.