Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 853 or titanium
  • PJay
    Free Member

Now it might see that there's an obvious answer, but bear with me here.

I currently ride an 853Inbred and have a pre-order down on one of the new 853 Pipedream Sirius frames. The ETA for these has been put back from December 2009 until mid-April 2010 and, as a result, I've been offered a great deal on a titanium Sirius. I've lusted after a titanium bike for ages but whilst my heart is saying that it's a no brainer, my brain is being a little more pragmatic.

I don't need a ti. bike and, not being a particularly good rider I might not even be able to tell the difference, I just want one because it's titanium. Unfortunately I'm not in a 'money's no object' situation and although I could stretch to the ti. frame I also got a good deal on the 853 pre-order which would still work out at less that half the price of the discounted ti. one. If I went ti. there'd be less money left for new kit and replacements when things break.

Silly as it might sound a real concern is that, if I got a ti. frame, I'd actually be to concerned about damaging it (and my inability to afford a ti. replacement) to actually enjoy riding it or ride it properly. I've alway been a bit 'precious' about kit due to lack of cash and how important an aspect of life my cycling is to be without it. A steel frame is just another expendable/replacable wear and tear component and if I stuck with steel there'd be cash in the bank for damage replacement or just fullfiling that "I need a new frame" feeling that comes around every few year that might not be the case with titanium.

I don't buy the 'bike for life' idea of a ti. frame as things change (lots of folk looking to get disc mounts welded on older ti. frames etc.) and with BB30 bottom brackets looking like they might be the next big thing a ti. frame with a standard BB shell might not look so clever a few years down the line, with steel I could afford a new frame when standards change.

Some of the reasoning might sound a bit silly to some folk and I have a gut feeling that the suggestion will be to buy and enjoy the ti. and worry about replacements/standard changes or urges for new frames 'if and when' but equally (in a cash restricted situation) the flexibility of two 853 frames for the price of one titanium one has it's attractions too (and the 853 Sirius' look fantastic too).

I know it's a decision I have to make but I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts.

MrSmith
    Free Member

sounds like it's a vanity purchase

due to lack of cash

stick with what you have if it's not broken why fix it.
    i certainly wouldn't see getting a plain gauge chinese/russian* ti frame as a vast improvement over a butted steel frame.

* no idea what the sanderson is, it could be hand made by a bearded man in kentucky for all i know.

epicsteve
    Free Member

It sounds to me like you have no compelling reason to go Ti instead of 853.

I've got a Ti bike (Van Nicholas Zion) and an 853 one (Cotic Soul) at the moment. I can tell the difference between them, however how much of that is down to geometry and build kit I don't know. Both are good though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you want it and can afford it, get it – you'll feel the difference alright.

Neither decision is right or wrong though – and I doubt you'd regret either.

mike_check
    Free Member

personally I wouldn't worry about changing standards, it's going to be a long time down the line before after-market BB's are made exclusively to a new standard, and many of them now you can keep the cups and just replace bearing cartridges as they wear out. both my mountain bikes are 1 1/8th steerer, standard bb (easily replaceable standard sized bearings) and my BMX has old style US bb, makes no odds as the hardware will last for ages and the consumables are readily available from a bearing supplier.

as for the money thing, that's up to you, my motto is buy what I want today and worry about what I need tomorrow!

Mister-P
    Free Member

I had an Altitude 30 with an 853 frame which I rebuilt with a Ti frame, all the kit stayed the same. The Ti frame is certainly lighter and looks great but I was never disappointed with the steel version. If money was an issue then I would have kept the 853 and not felt too inferior.

br
    Free Member

I swapped from steel to Ti recently, saved nearly 2lbs.

It rides the same except easier.

If I was worried about breaking things, I wouldn't MTB…

nickc

Some ti frames are worth it. The first time I rode a Hummer, I was Mr sceptical about the whole thing, but I really did have to stop a few times to make sure my rear tyre was pumped up, it was so vastly different to the steel HT I'd been riding.

From a purely hard-nosed POV, the steel frame will be alright, and it'll not loose as much money as a "non mainstream" ti frame will, but I reckon you'd still get enough from it 2nd hand to be able to buy another frame a couple of years down the line, if you're not in the habit of busting frames then you'll be even less likely to break a ti one, and let's be honest here, we do this for fun, and every-one at some point should ride a nicely made ti HT…

Sorry, not much help..

GaryLake
    Free Member

I had an Altitude 30 with an 853 frame which I rebuilt with a Ti frame, all the kit stayed the same. The Ti frame is certainly lighter and looks great but I was never disappointed with the steel version. If money was an issue then I would have kept the 853 and not felt too inferior.

I've got an 853 Altitude on loan right now, it is an exceptionally good frame…

hora
    Free Member

I spent £900 on a ti456 frame. Hated it. I've got a secondhand steel 456 now and love it. I'm not precious over it either whereas when I washed out on the Ti456 the first thing I did was run over to the frame to check for damage!

Get it resprayed to a colour of your choice, new stickers (you can buy 853 replacement stickers from Reynolds) and perfect.

Surely the pipedream will have altered geom etc anyway?

Ti really isnt worth the price over steel IMO. If you must- spend money on new and improved performance parts when bits wear out?

speaker2animals

Sounds to me like you really know how to go but need someone to say it for you. When I'm in this situation I go for the heads and tails ploy. Heads 853/Tails Ti. When you've flipped you'll know the answer. If you query the result – "oh I'll go for best of three" then you know what the answer is.

As for difference-if you were having a Ti replica of your Inbred and put the same kit on you may well spot a difference (and you might not like it). Going to a different frame maker would probably result in a notable difference even with the 853, cos of different tube layouts/angles stay arrangement etc.

My reading is you know the 853 is the "right" answer, you're being swayed elsewhere cos of impatience. I'm exactly the same so don't feel bad about it. If you could really afford the Ti you'd have bought it in the first place. Just gird your loins and put up with your on-one till April.

As for the damage issue – have you ever damaged your steel frame and needed to replace it? Ti isn't ally and think it would take anything a steel one could.

Cheers

jfeb
    Free Member

If you want a Ti frame and can afford it, buy it. These decisions should be made with the heart not the head.

And once you have your first scratch on it, you will stop worrying (so much) about damaging your lovely, shiny, expensive toy.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I'm in a similar situation PJay. Pre-order on the new Sirius, but kinda disappointed with the April 2010 news.

I spent a couple of days feverishly looking around for an equivalent bike at a similar price, but there isn't.

I've also had the offer of the Sirius Ti, but, whilst I could stretch to it, I'd have to spend more than just the money I've made from selling my other kit, so I won't buy it.

As a result I'll have to wait. Ho hum. Its not like I don't have a bike to ride in the meantime.

billyboy
    Free Member

I shouldn't act on the basis of the BB30 problem. You will just be encouraging the bloody …. …. …. who dreamt up this new standard to dream up some other new standard that creates even more compatability issues in an industry that is overwhelmed with them already.

F…..g ……s!

I'm living with a Ti bike at the moment. It's OK.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

853 has my vote – it'll be a great fun new bike and you get to feel good at how sensible you've been! The Ti runs the risk of you wishing you'd just waited and saved the cash. I've had both ti and 853, but on different frames so different rides.. If you haven't ridden the ti then I VERY much doubt you'll be disappointed with your lovely shiny new 853!

Swayndo
    Free Member

I recently got the Ti lust, first with an One-one 29er to replace my steel one. It was beautiful, but it had a chunk of Ti rattling loose inside a sealed seatstay, so it went back. They never had one to replace it with, so I then tried to satisfy the lust with a Morning Glory to replace my PA. Unfortunately I could only find a large and after a short while I found it too big and I'm back on my medium PA. If you fancy a large MG, give's a shout.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Why would you be so precious over Ti?
    That's bizarre!
    Mine gets tons of abuse, I even driven with it ontop of my car under a height restriction and it went bouncing down my roof and boot and then the ground. Cut a brake cable. Car looks a right mess, indented the roof, egg beaters took loads of pain work off. Big deal.

Saving money means you will, for ever, look at Ti bikes and know that's what you really wanted, which is unfortunate, but since I own one…. 😆

I worked out years ago whilst racing motorbikes, that if you are not prepared to simply walk away from the wreck that was once your bike, then you have the wrong bike or the wrong attitude as potentially slinging it down the hill side (in the case of the mountain bike) should be part of the business of pusing yourself and your bike.

PS – mine is a Lynsky made On-One. Top-flight, make no mistake, it's a beaut!

hora
    Free Member

If you must go ti (like steel) go proper titanium not On-one etc.

Even the cheap tat isnt cheap anymore though.

PJay
    Free Member

Why would you be so precious over Ti?
    That's bizarre!

Because it's expensive and I might not be in a position to replace it if I damaged one. I'm not sure it's bizarre, just realistic and that's one of the plus points for steel. Perhaps not riding something you can't afford to break makes sense.

Mind you, I would want to break an 853 frame either.

BollockChop
    Free Member

Surely the pipedream will have altered geom etc anyway?

Not geo. Changed front triangle to 853, strengthened headtube (CroMo) and more importantly changed the seat stays from 16mm to 19mm CroMo (getting rid of brake brace), which imo would change back end feel from the original. No idea how significantly and I don't think pipedream do either.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Ride both and then make your mind up

Clink

If you must go ti (like steel) go proper titanium not On-one

Excuse me sir! Pistols at dawn! 😯

bobster
    Free Member

Have ridden both, like both.

If funds genuinely are tight, stick with the 853, you'll be really happy – I even questioned if I should move back to it from Ti during a prolonged no bike experience due the Hummer failing…..

however, if you actually 'want' the Ti – do it, you'll always wonder. I originally wanted a Hummer back in about 2002, finally scratched that itch in 2008 having almost got there once before and always wondering at the back of my mind.

Apart from the feel when riding, one thing I love about Ti is how easy it is to clean up, no paint chips/rub to worry about – daft, but it's something I like.

Ti29er
    Free Member

What the Hell are you planning to do with this frame?

The two most useful properties of the metal form are corrosion resistance and the highest strength-to-weight ratio of any metal.[5] In its unalloyed condition, titanium is as strong as some steels, but 45% lighter.[

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘853 or titanium’ is closed to new replies.