Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 853 inbred vs normal tubed inbred …. much of a difference in ride ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I have an old 853 SS inbred which i love to ride , fits nice feels nice, a keeper…. and so have been looking for a cheap geared 16′ frame for bikepacking duties so my lad can have his scandal frame back, best option ive found is the standard inbred frame , will i notice the difference in ride much between tube sets ?
    853 >>>>> DN6 gas pipe ?

amedias
    Free Member

Riding repeatedly back to back you might notice depending on how sensitive you are to such things, but in a one off blind test probably not, but it’s not just about the actual material, is the current Inbred any different with respect to tube diameters*, joint type/location**, butting profiles*** etc. as those physical parameters will have a bigger impact than 853 vs not 853, although obviously the fact i is 853 will dictate some of the options for the above.

The other thing to remember is that different =/= better necessarily, it depends on what you want out of the frame, its entirely possible one may feel a bit stiffer/flexier than the other depending on above parameters, but what you might prefer may differ to me/others.

also, this:

DN6 gas pipe

gets repeatedly trotted out, I’m sure it’s tongue in cheek a lot of the time, but lets be clear, gas pipe it is not, it’s still a decent proper butted chromoly tubeset.

* probably similar
    ** possibly very small variations
    *** most likely different

the-muffin-man

Short answer – not a lot. (I’ve had both).

Main difference was weight, IIRC the 853 was nearer 4.5lbs as opposed to 6lb ish for a standard Inbred.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

DN6 gas pipe
    gets repeatedly trotted out, I’m sure it’s tongue in cheek a lot of the time, but lets be clear, gas pipe it is not, it’s still a decent proper butted chromoly tubeset.

very tongue in cheek 🙂 … thanks for the replys

slimjim78
    Free Member

About 1.5lb different. Not to be sniffed at

ski
    Free Member

I also own both and have never noticed a difference in how they ride.

My 853 is also a keeper

therevokid
    Free Member

i went dn6 inbred to tinbred … there you can feel the difference.
    never ridden an 853 so I’d go with the opinion of the stw massive here 🙂

faustus

I had an 853 rock lobster and then a 2012 DN6 inbred, and I def noticed the difference. But that’s mainly down to tubing sizes, joint types (as mentioned above) and weight. The newest inbreds will likely have fatter top tube (this was changed on V2 frames) and is overall fairly stiff and a bit tank-like sometimes. However, it’s still pretty good value and will do the job you want it to.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘853 inbred vs normal tubed inbred …. much of a difference in ride ?’ is closed to new replies.