• This topic has 35 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Bolt.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • £8.49 for a tube and sold without a smile…
  • ibnchris

Is it me or is £8.49 a bit steep? I made some (admittedly not very funny) comment asking what it did that a normal tube didn’t and got some kind of grunt in response…it was a no name tube by the way…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Obviously wasn’t too expensive because you bought it….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Were you in desperate need of said tube? I’m guessing you must have been!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Simon

What’s the going rate for a tube? I haven’t bought one in years…..

mindmap3
    Free Member

What brand was it? The last tubes that I bought should have been six quid each but they were on offer if you bought three.

It does seem to be that five or six quid is now the going rate.

FunkyDunc – Member

Obviously wasn’t too expensive because you bought it….

Someone feeling a bit snippy this Sunday evening?

andytherocketeer

My last were €3.50 (branded too)
    Way cheaper than a bottle of goo.

boxfish
    Free Member

3 Contis for a tenner at my LBS

orangeboy
    Free Member

Some conti road tubes are £10 rrp
    And most 29er tubes are 7-8

carlphillips
    Free Member

On-one less than £2.

bellys
    Free Member

£4 each from tesco Was the last one I got. It’s still doing its job 12mth on.

nickjb
    Free Member

£4 each in tesco. 3 for £6.50 in Wilkinson’s.

Any bike shop people willing to pass on the wholesale price? It was about 60p at my lbs 15 years ago.

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

£1 in poundland believe it or not.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What’s the going rate for a tube?

It’s a complex function relating to where you are, how much riding you have left to do and how sunny it is with an extra splash of whats in your wallet.

rOcKeTdOg

29er tubes 3 for £10 in my LBS, £8 each?? I’d have walked home

Matt24k
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

29er tubes 3 for £10 in my LBS, £8 each?? I’d have walked home

Really? I’d pay a fiver for the to ride my bike home rather than push it. I must have more money than sense or maybe less time than money.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Any bike shop people willing to pass on the wholesale price? It was about 60p at my lbs 15 years ago.

I used to get some at better than shop rates unboxed as they were for the hire fleet. However they were apparently not able to sell the unboxed cheaper ones to the general public as they did not have the info from the box or something like that.

I once sold a tube to a guy in Morzine for 10 Euros including use of a track pump, he was very happy about not having to take lifts up and down for an hour to get another tube.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Trade on tubes used to be circa £1

ibnchris

Start of an all day ride on the flinty downs so unfortunately no other option really (other than being better prepped before any of you jump in…) To be honest, I’m not too fussed paying out for my own lack of organisation but I’d at least expected a quiet ‘sorry about that…’ Rather than the implication that it was totally reasonable.

Scapegoat

So a far more honest reply would have been “that’ll be 8.49 for the poorly prepared, now bend over.”

Matt24k
    Free Member

I bet the bloke who sold it to you was smiling on the inside.
    Probabbly laughing his arse off 😆

lasty
    Free Member

Last time I bought some , ten contis for 30 quid off ebay 😉

ska-49
    Free Member

£5 is the most I’ve ever paid and that was for specialized (26”, 29”). Fairly annoyed with that to be honest. Found some online for £2.56 and they last just as long (funnily enough).

tonyd

I bought a job lot from CRC about 8 years ago, 10 for £15 or something silly. I still have about 4 new ones left! Some of the others are quite patchy though, and one of them became a patch donor.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Was the dead one also unrepairable or are you a repair kit refusenik?

antigee

I’d have walked home

I’d have offered to nip round his house mow his lawn – charge him for it, cup of tea and quickie with his wife, stuff the grass in the outer then ride home

some extra exercise, some self sufficiency and a few quid up the deal

jk1980
    Free Member

I’ve only ever bought strong, more expensive tubes eg the maxxis free ride ones or I’ve got an mx style one on my dh bike. Both were around £12 each but I’ve not had a puncture for about 10 years on them, touch wood.

So the amount you’ve paid for an unbranded one does sound a bit steep to me

wordnumb
    Free Member

I blame inflation.

djtom
    Free Member

I blame inflation.

Very good 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

The value to me of not having a day on the bike ruined is about £200.

If it comes in at £8.49 that represents a massive bargain. 😀

stufive
    Free Member

£5.00 round here for spesh tubes

fingerbike
    Free Member

How much was a puncture repair kit?

Fill the tyre with grass next time (takes a while and doesn’t ride that great) it’ll at least get you home without destroying the rim.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

When I used to run tubes I’d just find the cheapest place for Conti tubes online (normally about £3.50) and buy about 4 of them.

DezB
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

sbd16v
    Free Member

with 29ers and tubeless I expect the price of 26 inch tubes now falls into the niche/vintage marcket so there bound to be more expensive.

Bolt

Just back from ValD’sere thought I would nip in and get a spare tube before going up the lift.
    They only stocked maxxis freeride tubes for the princly sum of €19.99!!

Made do with the puncture repair kit I had.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘£8.49 for a tube and sold without a smile…’ is closed to new replies.