Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 800mm wide but high shelving
  • keppoch

Evening,

I am looking for some shelving for an understairs cupboard, it is high (2m+) but pretty narrow.

Big Dug gets a lot of mentions on here but the minimum width they do is 900mm.

Does anyone know of an alternative source selling similar shelving but narrower, 800mm ideally.

Thanks.

grantway
    Free Member

IKEA ?

maccruiskeen

‘Billy’ bookcases from Ikea come in a 400mm width, so you could have two side by side. Quite shallow though. Any reason not to just fix some battens to the wall and put some planks across?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Call me old fashioned but what about fitting your own wooden shelves?

fizzicist
    Free Member

B&Q do 800mm pine shelf board. About £12 a pop.

keppoch

I’m looking for something pretty strong to put tools, paint and the like on, I’m not sure Billy is up to that, other Ikea options seem quite limited.

Putting up shelves is not such a great option in this case as the cupboard only has plasterboard walls.

Any options?

maccruiskeen

Putting up shelves is not such a great option in this case as the cupboard only has plasterboard walls.

you can only get so much weight of paint across a 800mm span. Your plasterboard walls will be fine. Even then – there’ll be a timber in each corner of the cupboard – behind the plasterboard – screw your battons to them in you’re worried.

andyl
    Free Member

make some? Just need some uprights and some shelves.

br
    Free Member

Make a frame out of 2″x2″, and then mdf shelves.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member
    takisawa2

A dozen pack of studwork timber, & an 8’x4′ sheet of 18mm chipboard / ply would be my approach. Plus some fencing bolts to hold it together.

I built a big shelf in my garage, 2′ deep x 8′ long, four shelves. Was about £60 all told.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘800mm wide but high shelving’ is closed to new replies.