Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • 800mm bars and FTD ?
  • james0706
    Free Member

Hi, i have recently purchased some 800mm bars and havent had a chance to take them to FTD yet. Then i thought will they fit through the trees of FTD ?? Hope you can help.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

How tall are you?

james0706
    Free Member

5ft 3. Why ??

legend
    Free Member

Have you already tried wide bars or do you have strangely long arms? Cause bars that wide can really mess up your riding position

Three_Fish
    Free Member

5ft 3. Why ??

Because you’re going to have to grow about another two foot in height before you’ll be comfortable with an 800mm bar. A bar doesn’t simply become better the wider it is; it needs to be a good width for your physical size, otherwise you’ll actually find it harder to maintain stability (which is why people want a wider bar) and will find yourself chewing on your stem. For your height, you *probably* want to use a bar closer to 600mm.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

pah, don’t listen to them! give it a burl, if too wide, then chop ’em down! no amount of maths can account for real experience 🙂 (IMHO, natch)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Troll?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

760mm was fine, can’t see the extra being a problem.

z1ppy

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/wide-bars-fashion-or-function.html

IIRC FOD/Monkey has a some tree that give a limitation of around 720mm

duntstick
    Free Member

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Only run 600mm bars if you live in 1992 and/or are an XC fairyboy.

Also if you plan on using the uplift bus they have a bar width limit of 760mm – any wider and they can’t get your bike on the trailer.

tazzymtb

plan on using the uplift bus

they have an uplift for Follow the Dog! ahahahahahahahaha you trail center types crack me up

Three_Fish
    Free Member

760mm was fine, can’t see the extra being a problem.

He’s 5ft 3in.

tazzymtb

grum
    Free Member

Couldn’t you be 5’3 and have broad shoulders? Still, 800mm sounds pretty crazy – my 760mm bars are silly wide, and I’m not 5’3 🙂

they have an uplift for Follow the Dog! ahahahahahahahaha you trail center types crack me up

🙄

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Couldn’t you be 5’3 and have broad shoulders?

I couldn’t, no.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I did FTD and the monkey with 745’s. I wouldn’t like to do it with any wider. There’s a pair of trees on the monkey that must be 750 wide (I hit both of them) and those at the top of Weirwolf drop were very close !

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I use 710 and get ’round OK, though it’s a tight squeeze in a couple of places.

cheese@4p

Depending on the line it may be easy enough to ride through gaps narrower than your bars

snakebite
    Free Member

I cut my 790 bars down last week by 55mm, stupidly I cut it all off one end and now my brakes wont slide on properly. 😯

DezB
    Free Member

I hope that’s a joke snakebite!

kinda666
    Free Member

Ffs Dave, it’s 8.50 on a Monday morning, give the poor sods a break! 🙂

IIRC James is about 13 so doubt he’ll have very broad shoulders!

I_Ache
    Free Member

My 750s are fine around bot FTD and the Monkey I clipped a couple of trees a couple of times but That was probably down to rider error. There are a few that are quite close and its always a bit of a worry as to if you will hit them but to be honest I am more worried about hitting them with my shoulder than my bars.

Although getting stuck between two trees that are too close together would be funny for onlookers.

BigJohn

I cut my 790 bars down last week by 55mm, stupidly I cut it all off one end and now my brakes wont slide on properly

That’s nothing. I wanted to keep the ends long and straight for grips, brakes, shifters, poploc, reverb, bell, lights, mirrors etc. so I took the 55mm out of the middle. D’oh!

wwaswas

i have recently purchased some 800mm bars

How tall are you?

5ft 3. Why ??

Well I LOL’ed.

Is running bars nearly as wide as you are tall recommended?

BigJohn

It’s a fashion thing, and that’s the important thing.

wwaswas

he must bang his chin on the stem the whole time.

steve_b77
    Free Member

What length stem for 800mm bars? I’m thinking -30mm 😆

float
    Free Member

jeez just go out and give em a blast. if you end up with shredded little fingers cut a bit off the end or MTFU and look cool.

kimbers

id just go for 1 meter but make sure they have an aerodynamic profile at the ends so that you can get mahooosive air

franki
    Free Member

This thread = 😆

Trimix
    Free Member

I rode it with 810.

I clipped two trees and got knocked off by one.

I would happily ride it again as Ive been riding with 810’s since September last year and am now quite used to judging gaps. I regularly amuse my riding mates by weaving along singletrack.

It does focus your mind a bit.

Trimix
    Free Member

Oh, make sure your brakes dont stick out as far as your bars.

wwaswas

the trick is to put your grips about about 30mm from the ends of the bars so you don’t catch your knuckles if you are unlucky enough to misjusdge a gap.

cookeaa

I’m 5’10” – using 750mm for DH and 685 for XC

750 suits me personally, I’d say I a pretty average build shoulders wise… What suite the OP I couldn’t possibly say (and TBH neither can all of the STW armchair experts) as I don’t know what he’s riding or how he’s riding it, Height is only one rather loose guideline for how your bike should be setup…

The thing most of the wide bar Nay-sayers seem not to realise is that, the OP can always trim his 800mm bars, but the poor sod does need to ride them first just to be certain he wants to!
    You don’t just buy a £50+ set of bars and lop an inch off each end without at least a bit of test riding to be sure…

Christ some of these “setup tips” really are stunningly shite… keep up the good work STWers…

Give them a go, take a multi tool so you can adjust grips/brakes inboard as you go if you need to, take the bike home measure and trim if you need to…

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘800mm bars and FTD ?’ is closed to new replies.