Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • £800 XL 22inch frame hardtail
  • opusone
    Free Member

Hi,

One of my mates is looking for a new hardtail with in the region of £800 to spend. He is looking at a Marin Nail Trail atm but I think he could probably do better (he could certainly find something a bit less ugly).

Has anyone seen any good / amazing / interesting offers about? I figure it’s that time of year when bike shops might be selling off last season’s wares, so I thought there might be something interesting knocking about that was e.g. only available in XL or whatever. I don’t think that he has any particular preconceptions about what he wants other than “a hardtail”.

Cheers
    Nick

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Worth hunting for one of these in a 22″.

2015 Giant Talon 0.

I rode one (in a normal size!) and it was impressive. Rode far better than the price tag!

opusone
    Free Member

Coughbumpcough

bigjim

Might be a non starter if you don’t like ugly but on one lurcher? Not sure if they are still made, it’s 21″ rather than 22″ but I’m a bit under 6’5″ and it is pretty huge.

I really like mine, but might sell the frame for something a bit slacker like a Parkwood as it’s not ideal for the steep Innerleithen stuff I tend to ride and I hardly use it.

davosaurusrex

If he can stretch to £1200 the Whyte 901 gets great reviews and comes in a very long XL. I appreciate a 50% hike is a bit of a stretch though

opusone
    Free Member

Yeah I like the Whyte 901 – I almost bought one myself recently, but I don’t think he can afford the extra tbh.

Re the lurcher – I can’t seem to find anywhere that sells them. Are they still available?

I had a quick look at On one’s site – do you happen to have an opinion on the In bred 29er?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOIN29FS/on-one-inbred-29-steel-front-suspension-mountain-bike

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve got an XL Lurcher too – very pleased with it.

On One only sell them direct but as you’ve pointed out they don’t seem to have complete bikes for sale at the moment though it’d be worth calling them (they’ve often done them at sale prices).

The inbred is a good bike – nothing flash but rides well

opusone
    Free Member

Does anywhere stock On One or do you have to order them online?

nemesis
    Free Member

Online direct from them – that’s how they keep them cheap.

TooTall
    Free Member

How tall is your friend? That’s a big bike you’re chasing.

opusone
    Free Member

I would guess about 6’3″ but I’m not entirely sure. He worked out the frame size he was after.

longmover
    Free Member

I’m 6’7″ and used to ride a 21.5″ Trek 8500, I’m quite leggy so had to run lots of post. I also had a Blue Pig in a 20″ and that didn’t feel much different size wise (feel of different geometry excepted). At that size you really need to try a lot of different bikes as some frames come up a bit small and some will come up on the large side, saying that, I have just got a Trigger in XL and it fits really well.

opusone
    Free Member

Fair enough, I’ll suggest that he look again at the frame size. That said, he’s off to the on one showroom as I type to have a look at stuff so I imagine he’ll have a better idea of sizes shortly.

@longmover on a side note – why do you no longer have a blue pig? I just bought one…

TooTall
    Free Member

He’s not tall enough for a 22″ frame unless he has disproportionately long legs. I’m also 6’7″ and used to ride a 21″ OnOne and currently ride 22 & 23″ bikes that are way too big for all of my friends under 6’6″.

benp1

Pauls cycles?

blueflamespecial
    Free Member

He’s not tall enough for a 22″ frame unless he has disproportionately long legs. I’m also 6’7″ and used to ride a 21″ OnOne and currently ride 22 & 23″ bikes that are way too big for all of my friends under 6’6″.

What this guy said.

I’m 6’6″ and also ride 22/23″ hardtails. Obviously everyone is built slightly differently but I think anyone under 6’5″ would really struggle with frames of this size.

Having a look at Pauls Cycles is a good suggestion.

TooTall, how did you get on with the On-one (21″)? I like the look of their bikes but the lack of xl+ frames has always put me off.

TooTall
    Free Member

how did you get on with the On-one (21″)?

I had a 1st gen Scandal and only sold it because I moved to the USA and couldn’t take all my bikes (the Turner Sultan won). If it wasn’t for that I’d still be riding it now. As long as you have a l-o-n-g seatpost in to spread the load you’ll be fine. It wasn’t the longest bike but with wide bars it was delightfully comfortable and handled very well.

longmover
    Free Member

@opusone I sold the blue pig when I left Australia and returned to the Uk, it was a fun bike but really heavy.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘£800 XL 22inch frame hardtail’ is closed to new replies.