Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • 800 Families told to leave flats due to fire risk, immediately in london
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40389148

Not looking good for high rise buildings, and where are 800 families going to go tonight, and for the next month, its a damm shambles of organisation.

project
    Free Member

Hopefully nobody on here works in a high or low rise block clad in the same materials and with faulty fire doors that dont close or stay shut.

theotherjonv

working in them is a somewhat different scenario, different for fire drills, escapes, etc., and also people don’t sleep there (OK, I might at my desk drop off during a teleconference but YKWIM)

martinhutch

Not sure how they’ve evaluated the actual short-term risk in order to justify turfing hundreds of families out into a leisure centre with no notice.

Did they find unexploded bombs in the blocks?

While it’s nice that local authorities have woken up a bit about their responsibilities, this seems a little bit of a panicky arse-covering exercise.

aracer
    Free Member

So there’s a fire tomorrow in a 4th floor flat which spreads via the cladding and the people are still living there?

onlysteel
    Free Member

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

v8ninety

Does seem a bit knee jerky/band wagonny/arse covery, although I can’t really blame the council for that reaction.

So there’s a fire tomorrow in a 4th floor flat which spreads via the cladding and the people are still living there?

Can’t help but think that less disruptive interim measures, such as 24hr fire marshals, different evacuation instructions (leave immediately at first alarm), and ensuring that the fire alarms actually work would be as effective and a LOT less disruptive to families. But then, I’m not the one making the decisions, and I’m certainly not an expert.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Can understand a desire to be actively doing something because of all the criticism aimed at gov and councils, but it could be handled without evacuation.

Regular fire patrols and fire service instructed to hose the outside of the building as well as inside when a fire is reported inside the flat, just in case it spreads. Part of the problem here was that they hadn’t realised it had spread outside when they put out the initial fire in the flat.

Keep a watch on the outside, instant any hint of spread, instruct everyone to evacuate.

Other thing would be to get everyone to unplug all electrical items until the cladding is removed. A pain, but perhaps less than being turfed out of your house with no notice and told it could be weeks or months before you’re back.

You could evacuate everyone from every property because of a risk of this and that.

martinhutch

So there’s a fire tomorrow

I wonder if anyone has actually looked at the risk of that happening in just the day or two you need to find proper accommodation for a large number of vulnerable families, vs the risks to them of being turfed out in the middle of the night with no time to make proper arrangements for those who need extra care?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Does seem a bit knee jerky/band wagonny/arse covery,

yes its not like a block just burnt down killing about a hundred people now is it so its only a theoretical risk ?????

I wonder if anyone has actually looked at the risk of that happening

I assume they looked at the consequences rather than the risk or perhaps they just read a newspaper in the last few weeks.

Risk – lowish possibly – consequences – Very high = mitigate risk

slowster
    Free Member

According to the BBC the council even offered to pay for the Fire Brigade to station appliances and crew outside the buildings, but the Brigade said it still would not be able to guarantee the residents safety.

It seems they tried desperately to come up with a way of legitimately avoiding evacuating the blocks, which is going to be a major logistical headache and cost the council a lot of money, even if it does get it back at some point from the contractors or even central government.

The problem is that the fire safety of people in these flats is completely dependent upon being able to rely on residents staying put in the event of fire. The moment it is no longer possible to do that and evacuation is essential for all residents in the event of fire, then the single exit stairwells mean that the buildings are inherently unsafe.

Reportedly they also found other problems which aggravated the risk. There’s mention of the insulation of gas pipes going into flats, which I think probably means that the holes made in the concrete walls for the pipes have not been properly ‘fire stopped’. So fire would be able to spread very quickly internally, as well as externally via cladding.

It sounds like this was not a borderline decision: the council probably had no choice.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I think they are obviously doing the right thing, there’s now a risk of arsonists setting fire to these tower blocks. Nutters, terrorists or kids.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Same residents that have been vocal since Grenfall saying they fear for their safety due to the cladding and can’t sleep because of it.Now moved out so they can quickly remedy/remove it, tenants still not happy though.

project
    Free Member

According to the BBC the council even offered to pay for the Fire Brigade to station appliances and crew outside the buildings, but the Brigade said it still would not be able to guarantee the residents safety.

It seems they tried desperately to come up with a way of legitimately avoiding evacuating the blocks, which is going to be a major logistical headache and cost the council a lot of money, even if it does get it back at some point from the contractors or even central government.

so if the fire brigade camped out all day every day, who would cover their areas for other fires and car crashes etc.

and will insures pay out the extremely high costs, and will those firms that where responsible still be in buissiness a few days after the start of the inquiry, theyll just declare bankruptcy and start up again a few days latter.

poly
    Free Member

Aracer, I agree damned if you do, damned if you don’t. How many fires have their been in those blocks in the ten years since they were installed? How many have reached the cladding? It does seem likely to be a bit of an over reaction – unless perhaps things like self closing fire doors etc are not working in which case there is a maintenance scandal there which is potentially worse than the cladding errors, because it would be obvious to anyone there is a problem and relatively easy to fix.

Personally I would have given people the option to move out UNLESS the remedial works themselves temporarily increase the risk e.g. By grinding off the fittings etc and make a fire more likely. It should be possible to significantly mitigate the risk without booting everyone out – fire extinguisher in every flat, more smoke detectors, hotline to report waste in hallways (and act on calls immediately) a different evacuation approach.

If I lived on the top two or three floors I would be concerned. If I had mobility issues that would impede evacuation I would be concerned. A blanket approach seems like an overreaction but I haven’t seen the risks they have identified – we are assuming it is all about the cladding.

Given the costs involved in evacuation they presumably didn’t think it could be mitigated by having 24/7 “fire wardens” in each block, until the cladding was removed.

It would be interesting to know however what powers they have to evict people from their homes at that notice and what judicial oversight there is of that? Does anyone know?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Simply no other option. The buildings are covered in flammable material which lets a fridge fire go up the outside and create a fire the fire service cannot put out.

In some respects its better this has been found to be a widespread problem as it will allow a truly national response. some serious questions to be asked about specifications / building regs.

project
    Free Member

been known about for years on other blocks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-23738142

Junkyard
    Free Member

i think the issues with building regs is that tose panels do not meet them

Essentially we need more red tape to ensure this does not happen

It does seem likely to be a bit of an over reaction

How many need to burn down and how many folk need to die before its a prudent safety measure – genuine question where you setting the bar then ?

zilog6128

Does seem a bit knee jerky/band wagonny/arse covery

so what would YOU do if faced with potentially letting hundreds of people burn to death AND 100% guaranteed getting banged up for corporate manslaughter if that did happen?

convert

For me the issue is the fact that we are talking about 4 blocks in one borough getting evacuated. I simply don’t believe that these 4 blocks are so manifestly different to many others around the country or even the world in the way they were build and then renovated. This is either a proportionate response from one borough council and dereliction of duty from all the others or an over zealous response from one. I can’t see it can be anything other than that.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Maybe the best solution is to rip down these old council tower blocks (across the country). Should have gone years ago anyway.

Awaits shouts of gentrification and ethnic cleansing…

Though I’m hoping it may put a stop to some of the modern tower block building schemes. Luxury flat towers that are going to blight the centre of Woking (worse than it already is at least). Has some awful bright coloured cladding on the plans too.

Some in Basingstoke have an amazing wind tunnel sort of effect with towers close together. Also a potential fire hazard as it could fuel fire.

slowster
    Free Member

i think the issues with building regs is that tose panels do not meet them

Essentially we need more red tape to ensure this does not happen

For products that don’t meet Building Regs, you do not need any more red tape. You need to be able to rely on the people, systems and procedures which should already be in place to prevent it happening in the first place, and to identify it when it does happen so that it can be fixed very early on with minimal disruption. Are the councils’ own architects/specifiers, Building Control inspectors, and Fire Safety Officers being given enough time (and training) to properly review contractors’ proposals and drawings and to undertake adequate site inspections during and after construction work?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes I agree it was sarcasm – we need the market to be even further regulated /checked/controlled though as it appears that products that do not meet requirements are able to be sold and installed

the RW usually refer to this as “red tape” when its just essential safety checks to stop businesses being unscrupulous in the pursuit of profit

T1000
    Free Member

They could have mitigated the disruption through partial evacuation of these blocks (say 18m and above) + added fire marshals 24/7.

A significant portion of those evacuated could then have stayed if their flats we below a designated level.

Clearly in that scenario occupants should be given the option to go.

In all fairness to the authorities they are in a difficult position.

footflaps

They could have mitigated the disruption through partial evacuation of these blocks (say 18m and above) + added fire marshals 24/7.

Untested and given the fact that 80 odd people just died, I’d not want to take the risk.

Northwind

aracer – Member

The big threat isn’t so much a fire as how you get people out. Obviously tall buildings are worse than little buildings. 4th floor you can run a ladder or platform up to a window, frinstance, and it’s much easier to get the fire crews in too when they don’t use half their air supply just going up and down.

ninfan
    Free Member

Worth a listen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p056nw0f

It’s not clear if this relates just to the cladding, or whether it’s tied in with previous renovation work too.

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah, but I only picked 4th floor because that’s where the fire started in the Grenfell Tower – the assumption if it spreads via the cladding is that they’ll be having to rescue people from much higher as with Grenfell.

Not that I’m entirely sure what the correct answer is, but I’m hoping they have better advice than that available from a forum of bike riding keyboard warriors.

Northwind

Oh I see, sorry! I misunderstood, I read “4 storey flat”!

globalti
    Free Member

Those high-rise blocks need to be knocked down and the area redeveloped with better designed housing. Cladding a cold damp building in plastic sheets at £2.6m cost is still the cheaper option though.

chewkw
    Free Member

I wonder which construction company(s) is going to put in the tender to carry out all the repairs …

zanelad
    Free Member

so what would YOU do if faced with potentially letting hundreds of people burn to death AND 100% guaranteed getting banged up for corporate manslaughter if that did happen?

Didn’t stop Ford when they faced the prospect of a massive recall on a model that would burst into flames if rear ended. Many instances of the occupants dying. They did the sums, compo verses recall costs and decided not to do the recall. Let them burn, was written on the paperwork.

Hasn’t harmed Ford from what I can see

Junkyard
    Free Member

ford do not stand for election and I assume they do not have corporate manslaughter rules in the US??

nealglover
    Free Member

I wonder which construction company(s) is going to put in the tender to carry out all the repairs …

Do you ?

I’m not bothered who does it. as long as it gets done properly and the people are able to move back in and live safely.

nealglover
    Free Member

ford do not stand for election and I assume they do not have corporate manslaughter rules in the US??

Also, that all happened 45 years ago.

I suspect Ford would react very differently now.

(Not just because they got their sums wrong, and ended up doing a recall of 1.5M cars anyway)

stevextc
    Free Member

Luxury flat towers that are going to blight the centre of Woking (worse than it already is at least).

How is that even possible?

Unless they build them who is going to eat at all the new restos ?

project
    Free Member

and tonight another flat block fire in london town

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40392587

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/24/government-u-turn-over-fire-safety-controls-for-new-schools

Another conservative u-turn – this time theyve decided not to risk burning your children to death on an alter to deregulation and saving some money.

The Tories really are pond scum.

slowster
    Free Member

Another conservative u-turn – this time theyve decided not to risk burning your children to death on an alter to deregulation and saving some money.

The main problem with fires in schools is arson, and this is usually caused by teenagers and youths starting a fire outside school hours. Protecting the building from these sorts of fires, not life safety, has been why insurers and others have been pushing for sprinklers in new schools.

School fires/arson are far less common outside the UK, and this is a social problem. So we are having to spend more money on new schools to include sprinklers because of the people who start those fires, money which would otherwise be better spent on teacher salaries (I know it’s not either/or, but at the end of the day resources are limited: money spent to rebuild schools that are destroyed by arson and on sprinklers to protect against arson takes away from the total available pot).

maccruiskeen

For me the issue is the fact that we are talking about 4 blocks in one borough getting evacuated. I simply don’t believe that these 4 blocks are so manifestly different to many others

Theres two factors really (or probably more) one is what the cladding is made of and the other is how its applied. The lay out of the panels at Grenfell seemed to effectively create vertical chimneys up the outside of the building.

So the application may be different in other blocks – the heights/ sizes / densities of the buildings might be different – the facilities for evacuation might be different. We’re getting news of numbers of building checked and declarations of those effected but the may not all be high rise blocks.

Emotively – though the 4 blocks being evacuated were clad by the same company so while all the blocks being tested and checked have shown similarities these 4 are perhaps that bit more similar in the eyes of the people who have to sleep in them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘800 Families told to leave flats due to fire risk, immediately in london’ is closed to new replies.