Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • 800 childrens bodies in Catholic Nuns home for unmarried mums
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Quite amusing this thread, if you play a game of spot the bigot.

konabunny
    Free Member

“If you compare ex British colonies to Spanish ones, who are the ones who are doing better? Oh yes, the ones that weren’t Catholic. If Spain had conquered North America, it to, would resemble Mexico.”

This is so ahistoric and loopy as to be almost impressive.

hora
    Free Member

Spot the bigots?

Ironic.

I wonder how Ireland/the media there is dealing with this latest scandal. I was thinking last night, again decent religious Catholics – how must they feel again hearing this?

jamj1974

Seems pretty simple to me. Systematic neglect and abuse of children in institution run by nuns. People from a religious order either guilty or at least complicit in silence. Can’t see the positive influence of religion here.

Don’t need religion for abuse though – take the current Cyril Smith allegations…

jamj1974

If you compare ex British colonies to Spanish ones, who are the ones who are doing better? Oh yes, the ones that weren’t Catholic. If Spain had conquered North America, it to, would resemble Mexico.

Never looked at my data on this but what does worry me is the ride of neo- conservatism in the US and the apparent link to religion.

seosamh77
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Spot the bigots?

Ironic.

I wonder how Ireland/the media there is dealing with this latest scandal. I was thinking last night, again decent religious Catholics – how must they feel again hearing this?interesting you are aware I was talking about you. 😆

mudshark
    Free Member

Interestingly it seems to me that the basis of the protestant church was partly about the way the Catholic church was in a position to behave in this way – leaders putting themselves in between the common person and God. Catholic leaders seem accountable to only God whilst Protestant leaders cannot hide from the rest of the church members all of whom are able to take part in all church activities.

Of course an person wishing to do terrible things could find joining a church a useful way of doing those things – access to Quire boys or whatever.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

bigot: origins, late 16th century (denoting a superstitious religious hypocrite): from French, of unknown origin. (OED)

irony: religious people calling atheists bigoted for pointing out their superstitious religious hypocrisy. (me)

If you think its wrong to have strong feelings against the books and belief systems which have led to so much misery (and bigotry :O) in the world, I’d love to see your reasoned arguments why you think religion should get a free pass.

Communism, Facism, and their followers can be called anything you like (which is good), but religion and its followers seem to claim a special place above criticism.

Why?

Honest question. (Top Tip: calling everyone you disagree with bigoted or ????phobic doesn’t constitute an actual answer)

mudshark
    Free Member

Is he able, but not willing?
    Then he is malevolent.

This is the flawed part of the superficially clever argument, that’s why no-one takes much notice of it these days I suppose.

RustySpanner

hora – Member

Spot the bigots?

Ironic.

I wonder how Ireland/the media there is dealing with this latest scandal. I was thinking last night, again decent religious Catholics – how must they feel again hearing this? [/quote]

Lots of bigotry on this thread Hora (not from yourself).

Ignorance and bigotry here:

Everywhere that’s been touched by the Catholic church has been FUBAR’ed. Spain and Italy are corrupt as ****, South and Central America are even more corrupt and the Philippines is as well.

If you compare ex British colonies to Spanish ones, who are the ones who are doing better? Oh yes, the ones that weren’t Catholic. If Spain had conquered North America, it to, would resemble Mexico.

And here:

grtdkad – Member

You’re right Tom, as well as the Vatican being complicit with some of the slaughter that was undertaken by the worst of the Nazis during WWII.

And again here:

jon1973 – Member

Yep. You’re talking about a religion that covers up and tolerates all sorts of disgusting behaviour but ostracizes women who have children our of wedlock.

Take a look at the asylum system operated in this country up until 20 odd years ago:
    Do you know how many people were denied their freedom?
    How many died there? Where were they buried?
    Why many of them were put there in the first place?
    No. No you don’t.

The mindless prejudice, complete disregard of history and thoughtless stupidity behind such comments is amazing.

Threads that denigrate one particular religion are superb for identifying the ignorant – this and the recent anti Islam thread being perfect examples.

I’m an atheist myself, but I was brought up a Catholic and am not a fan of any religion.
    But seriously, some people on here really need to take a damn good look at themselves.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

Mr spanner,
    You seem have very strong views about the asylum system, apparently for good reason because very bad things seem to have happened.

So why is it wrong for others to have strong views about religion (which has also participated in incredibly bad behaviour).

The only way that I can see that they are different, is that societies and governments (hopefully) learn as they go along and put things right and change and (importantly) don’t have to claim that their past actions sprang out of some ultimate source of morality. They can move on.

Religions claim to know everything from the start, and then refuse to accept that their actual actions disprove their claims of specialness.

They haven’t moved on, and they are still drinking the same cool-aid that led to the past and current abuses (witch hunts, FGM, homophobia, killing of apostates, etc.)

So, I think that YOUR “mindless prejudice, complete disregard of history and thoughtless stupidity” aren’t really helping here.

seosamh77
    Free Member

eat_the_pudding – Member
    bigot: origins, late 16th century (denoting a superstitious religious hypocrite): from French, of unknown origin. (OED)

irony: religious people calling atheists bigoted for pointing out their superstitious religious hypocrisy. (me)

If you think its wrong to have strong feelings against the books and belief systems which have led to so much misery (and bigotry :O) in the world, I’d love to see your reasoned arguments why you think religion should get a free pass.

Communism, Facism, and their followers can be called anything you like (which is good), but religion and its followers seem to claim a special place above criticism.

Why?

Honest question. (Top Tip: calling everyone you disagree with bigoted or ????phobic doesn’t constitute an actual answer)I’m not religious. So your irony fails on that point. Just pointing out there some blatant agendas going on in this thread.

I’m against all abuse and for the fervent prosecution of the perpretraitors regardless of denomination.

RustySpanner

Why?

Where have I said that?

I completely agree with you.
    I’m all for speaking out against religion and the inevitable l consequences of unquestioning faith.
    But the freedom to do so is no excuse for prejudice and ignorant generalisations.

If you’d like to discuss this in a sensible manner, I’m all ears.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

Good we mostly agree then. 🙂

For the record, I don’t like bigotry against _people_ and I know where it leads, but I can’t see any circumstances where _ideas_ should be protected from scrutiny (particularly in matters involving hundreds of dead babies).

Someone (apparently not Voltaire i’ve just learned from google) said “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

As an example of where limiting criticism leads;

Theres a bloke in Spain this morning (Imran Firasat), facing deportation because, as a refugee from a death sentence (for apostacy) in Pakistan, he responded by making a movie about islam that muslims don’t like.

Spains fear of islamic terrorism is now apparently so great that making films about islam means you might get sent back to face a death sentence.

P.S. Mudshark, Please show your working and explain to the less enlightened among us how being able to prevent evil and yet unwilling to do so is a good thing and worthy of your ever loving god.

I don’t think of it as a “superficially clever argument” but as a statement of the obvious.

I’ll take your use of the word “superficial” to indicate that you have deeper understanding from a special source beyond that of the common man.

Please share.

mudshark
    Free Member

Freewill right?

I’m not religious.

grtdkad

Mr Spanner, the OED defines Bigotry as “Intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself”.

The gist of this thread has been expressing significant concern regarding the often evil, nasty and criminal activity of all too many members at all levels of the catholic church – child abuse, corruption, slave labour etc. More often than not hushed up, ignored and rarely prosecuted as we in the UK would recognise it.

For whatever reason you decide to accuse the members of this forum who are permitted to discuss such matters freely and openly as being bigots.
    I salute you chap, I really do. Wow.

RustySpanner

The gist of this thread has been expressing significant concern regarding the often evil, nasty and criminal activity of all too many members at all levels of the catholic church – child abuse, corruption, slave labour etc. More often than not hushed up, ignored and rarely prosecuted as we in the UK would recognise it.

Yes, I know.

For whatever reason you decide to accuse the members of this forum who are permitted to discuss such matters freely and openly as being bigots.

I did, didn’t I?

Your decision to single out the crimes of the Catholic Church whilst ignoring the fact that these crimes were also being committed by those of all other faiths (and none) speaks for itself.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

It’s not bigotry if you can back it up with statistics, I do believe that studies show that on the whole Catholic countries are more corrupt. I’ll have to find the data again.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Your decision to single out the crimes of the Catholic Church whilst ignoring the fact that these crimes were also being committed by those of all other faiths (and none) speaks for itself.

Well put.

Tom_W1987 – Member
    It’s not bigotry if you can back it up with statistics, I do believe that studies show that on the whole Catholic countries are more corrupt. I’ll have to find the data again.

Correlation or causation?

Seems to be a common suggestion (f*ck religion etc) that if we simple lock up all the religious folk, the world’s problems will magically disappear. I hadn’t realised it was so simple. Does the round up start in the morning after mass?

grtdkad

Ah yes I see Spanner, but once again to ‘spell it out to you”, the thread was started by the OP after the media reported that 800 children’s corpses were found in the grounds of a Catholic establishment.

I’m sure stw members may have a go at the other religions, Church of England, the Baptists all of them next time an equivalent horror story is reported in their grounds. This was the Catholics, the discussion focussed on ‘and they won’t be prosecuted for any of this stuff either”. What has to happen? It literally is criminal.

I am wary of many over-religious types. I don’t limit it to the Catholics.

konabunny
    Free Member

Spains fear of islamic terrorism is now apparently so great that making films about islam means you might get sent back to face a death sentence.

“Apparently” is a great weasel word for when you want to replace knowledge of the facts with your own suppositions.

Interestingly it seems to me that the basis of the protestant church was partly about the way the Catholic church was in a position to behave in this way

Depends on whether you’re talking about proper Protestants (Calvinists etc) or fake-o Catholics with divorce and big ears (C of E).

surfer
    Free Member

“Apparently” is a great weasel word for when you want to replace knowledge of the facts with your own suppositions.

This may be the case refered to and the poster actually named the individual. The power of Google provides a greater insight.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

From the link

3. There is a wide variation in reports of how well the home operated. Undeniably, it was dilapidated and often took the appearance of a nightmare. Yet a Board of Heath report in 1935 described it as “one of the best managed institutions in the country” and in 1949, a local newspaper said that an inspection had found, “everything in very good order and congratulated the sisters on the excellent conditions.” The sisters immunized the children and lobbied for money to improve the facilities.

4. The home never left the hands of the County Council. This point is important because it contradicts any impression that what went on at Tuam was a reflection of the unique callousness of the Catholic authorities: in fact, it was an institution that relied on state money. In 1951, the sisters begged the Council for more cash. In 1949, they met with Senator Martin Quinn and told him that children were suffering as a result of a lack of funds, to which he replied, “I do not like these statements which receive such publicity”. And, ashamedly, the locals actually complained about the cost to the ratepayers of financing the home.

Put all this evidence together and you have a far more nuanced picture than the one presented in parts of the media. Tuam was a miserable institution, blighted by underfunding and the snobbery of the locals. But it may sometimes have been run better than at other times, and it’s possible to see some of the nuns as people who were prepared to do something that the rest of the community would not – care, no matter how poorly, for unwanted children.

In other words, the tragedy of Tuam has to be put into the context of the wider culture of its time. It was not a Catholic tragedy so much as an Irish or even European one. Unfortunately, it’s hard not to infer from the reportage that the Tuam story is being used as part of a wider attempt to suggest that Catholic dogma is responsible for much of the misery of the past. Time and again, we’ve been presented with headlines that indict the Church for crimes against humanity – only for the facts to somewhat blunt the force of the accusation.

Hmmm…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

for unwanted children.

Why do you think the children were unwanted thm? Why would the families of the unmarried pregnant girl want her and her child out of their sight?

kilo

deadlydarcy – Member

for unwanted children.

Why do you think the children were unwanted thm? Why would the families of the unmarried pregnant girl want her and her child out of their sight?

Good point, obviously there’s never been any stigmatism for unmarried mothers in the U.K because it’s a good un-catholic country

tinybits
    Free Member

But that’s not what we’re discussing.

The Catholic Church has a level of fault in this case, I’d expect only the pope to say different. In other appalling outrages to humanity, I’ll be quite happy to condemn whatever religion is responsible.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Many reason DD as you will be aware. None of which are exclusive to countries, cultures or religions or even periods of history.

Makes nice headlines though!

Well TB it’s a good job that you can determine that the fault here lies exclusively and directly with a particular religion. Seems rather more complicated to me.

Terrible, terrible story though

kilo

tinybits – Member

But that’s not what we’re discussing.

THM above has more eloquently detailed the gist of my comment.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Many reason DD as you will be aware.

Oh, indeed, as you’ve already guessed, I’m perfectly aware. Now, are you going to answer the question and tell me why you think unmarried pregnant women and their children were stigmatised in Ireland for centuries?

Seems rather more complicated to me.

That’s fine. Y’know, I think I can handle complicated discussion…let’s go, I’ll let you know when I’m struggling to keep up.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes for many of the reasons that unmarried women were stigmatised at the same period in many cultures and throughout history. I do not applaud it nor do I condone it. As I said a terrible story. In the context of Irish history, (edit: I appreciate that..) the Catholic Church is intertwined closely into many aspects of the culture. And as we have seen, members of that Church did things that we would consider both right and wrong today. They should be condemned for what they did wrong and applauded for what they did right – you can chose. But the slightly fanciful idea that f*ck religion/or that this is an RC issues is short of the mark in my opinion.

Misdiagnose the situation and the reason and your condemn yourself to the wrong answer, as this thread has already shown.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The deaths of these 796 children are not in doubt. Their numbers are a stark reflection of a period in Ireland when infant mortality in general was very much higher than today, particularly in institutions, where infection spread rapidly. At times during those 36 years the Tuam home housed more than 200 children and 100 mothers, plus those who worked there, according to records Corless has found.

We are indebtedness to Corless for uncovering much of what happened here, so her views are not a bad starting point, as are her comments in how her research has been subsequently been mis-represented.

What has upset, confused and dismayed her in recent days is the speculative nature of much of the reporting around the story, particularly about what happened to the children after they died. “I never used that word ‘dumped’,” she says again, with distress. “I just wanted those children to be remembered and for their names to go up on a plaque. That was why I did this project, and now it has taken [on] a life of its own.”

The Irish Times

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, here’s my take on it thm…

(And take this in context with my almost complete absence from religion bashing threads on stw…)

In Ireland, for centuries, the church was the most powerful institution. Even as recently as the seventies and eighties, Pope John Paul II saw Ireland as the last bastion of undiluted catholicism in Western Europe…moreso than Spain and Portugal. It would take longer than anyone on here would want to read to explain the kind of power that the church had in Ireland and the reasons behind it. But for centuries while the Irish tried to free themselves from British rule, through the penal laws (17c), where they couldn’t even attend church and masses were held in fields in secret, through the famine and continued armed struggle into the twentieth century, the church was intertwined into every aspect of Irish resistance, and this was not some kind of loose intertwining. It was all pervasive. When the Brits let you down, you could always turn to the church – this was the belief system they tried to stop you having – either by plantation or by starving you to death. Because, while they could take every scrap of your dignity, they could never take your faith. If you were being chased by the Black and Tans, you could always hide in a church.

Secondly, there was the education system. While no-one was interested in educating the great unwashed outside Dublin, Edmund Rice started up the Christian Brothers and between them and the various teaching orders of nuns, they educated the young girls and boys outside the urban centres – and bashed the ideology of Roman Catholicism into them from the earliest most impressionable stages, fully supported and backed up by the folks at home. I still remember the fear of making my first confession at between 6 and 7 years of age – I realise some would find it comical, I even do myself now, but the guilt and fear I was made to feel as I “made up” a few sins to tell to a priest in a dark box where he sat behind a mesh screen – and came out to piously say penance at the end – was ridiculous.

A common thread through all of our religious educations was fear and guilt. Fear of god represented here on earth by priests, brothers and nuns and guilt at doing anything against their teachings. This was translated into social stigma, and the greatest of these when in my teens, was the teenage pregnancy – and that was in the eighties. So, goodness knows how it must have felt for the girls who found themselves pregnant in the forties, fifties, sixties in less enlightened times. Of course, if they’d had any kind of sex education or contraception available to them…I wonder who made sure none of that was going to happen. And of course, if they’d had the option of aborting their foetus, they may have been able to lead normal enough lives, hated and stigmatised by their families alone…I wonder who made sure that wasn’t going to happen. Still, it was ok to let them travel in their (literal) thousands across to Liverpool in the ferry where they could abort their children in that godless country across the Irish sea. My mum often tells me about the missions (yes, even in Ireland) where those in the ivory towers of Irish Catholicism would send the real heavies out to the great unwashed in places like (in my mum’s case) West Kerry where they would have a few weeks of intensive preaching, confessions, prayer, more preaching, more prayer, long masses, etc etc. This, literally, would put the fear of god into, for the most part, poor uneducated farmers and labourers.

The Catholic church was interwoven into Irish society from cradle to grave for centuries. Those who ran the institutions where these kinds of things happened weren’t saving these mothers and children from society, they were actively involved in hiding them away where no-one would have to face the reality of the situation – young people were screwing one another, before marriage and babies were being conceived and born. And it wasn’t some kind of open secret either. Most of my generation never knew any of this stuff happened until the revelations in the last couple of decades.

To make some mealy-mouthed excuse that this is some kind of societal problem, and that without the power of the Catholic church, the Irish would have found some other way to mis-treat their own is, frankly, beyond understanding. Would there have been problems without the Catholic church having had the influence it did have? Of course. Would we be discovering them to this magnitude? Not a chance. And for that (amongst all the other henious crimes committed by priests and Christian brothers), the Catholic Church bears a huge proportion of the culpability for everything that’s happened in their institutions.

And apologies…that did go on a bit.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Very interesting dd, thanks for that. TBC, I was not suggesting that anyone was absolved of guilt and my edit was intended to acknowledge (in a shallow way) some of your points. I hope that came across. Cheers for the post, well made. I understand your sentiments if not “all” the conclusions!

(FWIW, I not a catholic nor an apologist for anyone who does wrong, including “all” those responsible at Tuam.)

seosamh77
    Free Member

Very interesting points DD. It points to not necessarily problems with the church(well I suppose it does particular to Ireland given the scale of abuses even beyond this) but to problems when authority goes unchecked and becomes totalitarian in nature(even in a localised sense), which isn’t particularly unique to religion, history gives us plenty of examples of totalitarianism gone nuts even in a secular context.

I might be using the wrong terminology there, suppose i’m really meaning that unquestioning support(whether, willing, forced or through subterfuge) allied to doctrine is never going to result in a happy outcome.

In a historical sense there’s a lot of lessons to be learned there. Personally I don’t think it’s a stick to beat the current church with as, as individuals and collectively, I think we’re all a little wiser these days(in the western world atleast) and that it probably couldn’t happen anymore.

The days of unquestioning belief are mostly gone. Jebus I know the likes of my granny would have struggled to believe this kind of thing could even happen, people aren’t like that now and are far more sceptical, she came from a very different generation.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

history gives us plenty of examples of totalitarianism gone nuts even in a secular context.

Aye, very true Seosamh. I’m just making my points regarding the culpability of the church in Ireland. I’m fully aware (sorry, not carping back at what you said) that horrible stuff has been perpetrated without any belief in a divine being coming into it. The attitudes (perhaps the last of which) I saw growing up in Ireland came from the teachings of the church, or at least, from the God’s mouthpieces here on earth. I realise I’m repeating myself, but it’s difficult to explain quite how influential at every level of society the RC church was in Ireland.

Now, there’s a philosophical discussion to be had to pinpoint that where you blame the man or his religion. Religion is abstract and we’ll all have different viewpoints as to where you start blaming one or the other.

I agree that none of this stuff would likely happen today in Ireland, but that is down to the waning influence of the church in Ireland and people having a much more cynical view of it (sadly, as a result of the countless scandals).

Having said all that, I had three great-aunts (or gran-aunts as we used to call them) who were nuns, all of whom I only ever knew as very gentle people, and I’m sure, that if they were alive, they’d be horrified at what has been uncovered. I also encountered, through hurling and education, plenty of priests and CBs who were the soundest guys you could meet and never laid a wrong hand on a soul and who would all be horrified at all these revelations.

Do we beat up the current church? I dunno. Do we learn from these mistakes and treat every denial, every supposed cover-up with suspicion and cynicism? IMO, yes.

duckman

Stop raising the tone DD.So what has created the change in attitudes in a matter of just decades?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Do we beat up the current church? I dunno. Do we learn from these mistakes and treat every denial, every supposed cover-up with suspicion and cynicism? IMO, yes.

Learning from mistakes is the only worthwhile thing.

While I say I don’t think it’s worthwhile beating up the current church. I do think it’s worthwhile taking the lessons and applying barriers to this kind of thing happening anywhere. So ultimately I think it’s pointless the church coming out with statements or us castigating them for historical wrongs(living individuals should be prosecuted). I think the ultimate responsibility lies with the rest of us to ensure it doesn’t happen again. (essentially don’t allow these institutions the power they once had, as they’ve proven they don’t have the structures to deal with it and are open to abuse from groups and individuals.)

While I’m not religious and don’t believe in the fairy tales(since I was 12), I do believe the church does some good, but there is and was also bad there. So as a society it’s up to the rest of us to keep them, and any institution, in check.

From an Irish perspective, as you alluded to above, it’s interesting how the church got the power, ie through a vacuum of law essentially(as ireland was run not for the people but as a bread basket and the laws refliected this). Goes some way to explaining why it actually got so bad in Ireland as the people looked elsewhere for their authority.

Interesting thoughts for the colonial wars of today and the kind of problems they are leaving around the world through their destruction of existing power structures. While we all like to criticize authority, ultimately we are drawn to power structures and order as humans.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Trying to find this paper/thesis. Some interesting material in the literature, need to read around it a bit more.

http://www.ocms.ac.uk/abstracts/pdf/2010_mallaby.pdf

Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘800 childrens bodies in Catholic Nuns home for unmarried mums’ is closed to new replies.