Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)
  • 800 childrens bodies in Catholic Nuns home for unmarried mums
  • hora
    Free Member

WTF?

All UNRECORDED and buried in the 20th century in the grounds of a home for unmarried Mums run by Catholic Nuns, ranging upto 9yrs old?!!

Smacks of the disapeared/similar story/scandal in 20th century Spain c20’s-70’s.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Go religion!

rickmeister

Religion spreading peace and harmony across the globe, go Catholicism !

Links hora ?

irc

“If you look at the records, babies were dying two a week,

Most of the bodies were dumped in a sewage tank.

Horrific.

http://rt.com/news/163764-800-dead-irish-orphans/

Jamie
    Free Member

So just going to post this with no links/evidence/citation?

hora
    Free Member

On bbc24 news now

Houns

Yey religion!

bamboo
    Free Member

Was on 5live yesterday. Horrific.

DezB
    Free Member

Devils literally amongst us

Don’t believe in that sort of thing myself.

hora
    Free Member

Local records say sickness but thats because they thought they were faminine victims. Weird only children in one grave all starved/related… probably why they delved deeper into this.

Well done who brought this investigation to light

Jamie
    Free Member

Ah well, you know what they say.

Deadliness is next to godliness.

alexpalacefan

I can’t begin to imagine what it must have been like for those poor women, trapped in that nightmare.

Now, did somebody say “separation of church and state”?

APF

dannyh
    Free Member

Utterly astounding how the perpetrators of this kind of thing could moralise at unmarried mothers yet allow such things to happen (or actually actively do these things). I saw this yesterday on the Graun and was a bit ashamed that I knew nothing about this. Mind you, when it come to covering up wrong doing, turning a blind eye and ‘moving on’ predatory criminals, the Catholic Church does have previous. Lots of previous.

It doesn’t take too much of a leap of imagination to consider what other ‘punishments’ these ‘ungodly’ children and mothers might have deemed worthy of. It is sickening, and a very sad indictment of medieval chauvinistic bigotry being dressed up as righteousness. No homes for the fathers of these children, note.

But so long as ‘lessons are learned’ and the perpetrators either die before being exposed or slip away unnoticed, then it all fine.

This whole thing makes me feel physically sick, I’m afraid.

murf
    Free Member

Was first uncovered in 1975 from what I read yesterday and was common knowledge, wonder why it’s never been investigated?
    I read that the deaths were recorded but that the bodies were dumped in an unused septic tank instead of being buried.

yunki
    Free Member

Bit like the Christian Missionaries burning witches alive in The Congo a coupla years back

ohnohesback
    Free Member

That wasn’t the only thing that was wrong.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magdalene_asylum

Drac

**** disgusting.

kimbers

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/04/children-galway-mass-graves-ireland-catholic-church

According to Corless, death rates for children in the Tuam mother and baby home, and in similar institutions, were four to five times that of the general population. A health board report from 1944 on the Tuam home describes emaciated, potbellied children, mentally unwell mothers and appalling overcrowding. But, as Corless points out, this was no different to other homes in Ireland. They all had the same mentality: that these women and children should be punished.

f–k religion

dannyh
    Free Member

@ zomg’s post.

That’s just the crowning insult.

Anything can be trivialised and explained away if you are a cynical scumbag.

Just so long as you say sorry before you pop your clogs, everything will turn out ok cause of your ‘piety’.

These people need to be taken outside and given an extended lesson in ‘consequences’. Preferably with a baton or a length of lead pipe. Just to knock some of that smug self-satisfaction out of them.

Junkyard
    Free Member

**** cruelty to children and infanticide whoever does it

tinybits
    Free Member

Unbelievable , and at the same time only too unsurprising 🙁

I hate the human race sometimes.

epicyclo

So how many mass burials like this around the other homes?

sweepy
    Free Member

I can’t decide if zomgs link is a parody or not, has that bloke never seen Father Ted? Those orphans were just resting in my account

rickmeister

The Catholic Church Scandal Containment Unit….

Is this for real ?

Houns

It’s a satirical website

lemonysam
    Free Member

Is this for real ?

It’s on the same page as: “Busker Charged For Murdering Wonderwall”, “Internet Running Out Of Irrational And Angry Comments, Experts Reveal” & “‘Cult Leader’ Jesus Named In FBI’s Top 10 Most Wanted List”. I’m pretty sure you can work it out…

hora
    Free Member

Would you be a practicing Catholic now?

ktmracer
    Free Member
    AdamW
    Free Member

And the apologists are already out, like that odious person from “christian voice” saying things like “you can’t *prove* it is from that home”.

No, a load of children happened to appear out of thin air right next to the home then all spontaneously die and fall into a septic tank.

Words fail me at the horrors religion causes upon the world. 😥

bloodynora
    Free Member

Never mind some Argie bloke in a gown and expensive jewellery will make an announcement from an obscure suburb of Rome proclaiming the children have been forgiven and the perpetraitors have been made saints.

epicyclo

AdamW – Member
    ….No, a load of children happened to appear out of thin air right next to the home then all spontaneously die and fall into a septic tank…

Excellent point. There’s no way they can spin this.

It would be a horror story if it was 10-15 kids buried like that, but 800?

Sounds like there was a “final solution” going on.

Also, many of the mothers will still be alive. I cannot even begin to think of how they feel.

sweepy
    Free Member

You didn’t expect me to read the whole thing did you Lemony 😳

PJM1974
    Free Member

f–k religion

That’s a can of worms…as a lifelong atheist I abhor every single crime committed in the name of religion, but I know an awful lot of people of faith who are every bit as appalled and sicked at this as I. I don’t hate Catholicism for this, but I hate a lot of Catholics.

But we’re talking about a mass killing, the scale of which is mind boggling in a neutral country during the darkest days of the twentieth century. Terms like “genocide” and “final solution” aren’t hyperbole. Will anyone stand public trial for this?

grtdkad

Not a chance of prosecution. The thing is with many of these religious crimes, the perpetrators, the complicit and those that looked the other way are nasty, poisonous individuals.

Anything but ‘christian’.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Cpndemning religion is a diversion from the real cause; the social attitudes that made cloistering single mothers away from society an acceptable option. All these years on it appears that the judgementalism against those in most need of help is on the rise again.

konabunny
    Free Member

“Terms like “genocide” and “final solution” aren’t hyperbole.”

Maybe or maybe not – but certainly inappropriate.

tinybits
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member

Cpndemning religion is a diversion from the real cause; the social attitudes that made cloistering single mothers away from society an acceptable option. All these years on it appears that the judgementalism against those in most need of help is on the rise again.

Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post

I’m not too sure what to think of this. Are the social attitudes not caused in a large part by the religion? Are those who were most in need of help either at best emotionally scarred by the aforementioned religion, and at worst, at the bottom of a sceptic tank, again, put there by people serving that religion?

Whilst mankind certainly don’t need religion to be evil, it seems to play one hell of a helping hand.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘800 childrens bodies in Catholic Nuns home for unmarried mums’ is closed to new replies.