• This topic has 22 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by donks.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 8 years ago today
  • Harry_the_Spider

My daughter was born.

Coincidently my wife got a Strep A infection after being scratched by me son a couple of days prior. This was spotted by the midwife who saved her life.

My wife spent 4 days in the HDU and my daughter was sent to the SCBU as they didn’t know if the infection had crossed the placenta. I was given the “percentages” by a doctor. My wife 20% death, 50% loss of limbs. My daughter, worse.

They both made it, but my daughter has some health issues that may be a result of being flooded with medication at birth.

At the time it didn’t sink in, but every October 4th I have a bit of a “wobble” when I think what would have happened if the midwife hadn’t been so vigilant.

ourmaninthenorth

🙂 Happy Birthday Little Miss HTS..!

Whilst not so extreme we also benefited from the vigilance of a midwife and avoided a footling breach, which would very likely have killed or seriously disabled Little Miss North.

hot_fiat

Wow! 😯

Midwives are awesome. Both of my children were delivered in a midwife led unit. The care, attention to detail and dedication to the job was humbling.

bikebouy
    Free Member

All turned out fine and dandy then, fabulous.

Enjoy the Autumn.

porlus
    Free Member

Yeah they are great.

Thinking of when our lad was born. It was super fast. We didn’t even make it to the hospital. Paramedics arrived at our house two minutes before he did lol. Luckily he came out with no dramas, but I dread to think what might have happened if something would have gone wrong while I was waiting for them to arrive.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Nice on Harry. My Sister in Law has just had twins. Currently in the Special Care unit. When I saw them it was amazing. I look at the kids and think how can everything work, yet be so small?
    A fantastic unit, run by amazing staff.

ads678

Nice one, HTS. Go and give them both a big hug.

My daughters 7th birthday next week. Kids (and wives) can be a proper pain in the arse sometimes but I love mine so much. No n+1 though, that stopped with 2!!

binners

Yay!! Great that everything turned out great

Binnerette number 1 turned up a month premature courtesy of an emergency C Section. It all happened so fast, I didn’t know which way was up (as apparently didn’t Binnerette number 1 – hence the problem)

Thank god for cool, calm collected midwives. phew!

joshvegas
    Free Member

I swear you’ve posted this before and ended with a rant about violins.

Which was perhaps the best punchline ever.

If it wasn’t you…

Don’t buy a violin.

And have a great day spiderling.

Harry_the_Spider

I swear you’ve posted this before and ended with a rant about violins.

I probably did. It is one of the few days a year that I actually give a toss about anything.

Oh…. she’s got a ****ing flute now.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Happy Birthday Miss HTS, it’s rhe eldests Birthday today too. He’s annoyingly healthy ha ha.

mogrim

October is the best month to be born in, everyone knows that 8)

binners

Didn’t I mention the drum kit I bought her for her birthday?

verses

Not to make it all about me or anything but Oct 4th is a lucky escape anniversary for me too.

Two years ago today I broke the C2 vertebra in my neck and had to be fitted with a halo brace for 3 months. Fortunately all has (mostly) healed well but I can’t help thinking how close it was to being a life-altering injury.

Edit: and from a less-self-involved perspective, glad it all worked out well for you all 🙂

gerti
    Free Member

Glad everything turned out OK HTS and happy birthday to the young un 🙂

Our youngest has just been picked by school to learn the violin 😯
    *googles soundproofing solutions*

johndoh
    Free Member

Our youngest has just been picked by school to learn the violin

? How does that work? Isn’t the child meant to be the one choosing to learn an instrument, not to be instructed to by the school? BTW, one of my 8 yr olds is learning the drums – can she share the sound-proofed room? 😉

But OP – glad all worked out for you and your family.Hope you have a great birthday party 🙂

RustySpanner

Happy birthday Miss HtS.
    🙂

You bought her an air rifle yet btw?

molgrips
    Free Member

Midwives.

Ours came to our house shortly after the ambulance and my youngest daughter. She missed the extent of tearing.

However, it was at the end of her third shift straight. How can that be an acceptable way to run our health service? To essentially use people’s kindness and compassion to cover for under resourcing?

Isn’t the child meant to be the one choosing to learn an instrument, not to be instructed to by the school?

When I was a kid (long time ago) we had to do a musical test to establish if we had enough musical aptitude to do the violin on account of it being hard.

RustySpanner

If you look at a brass band, the musicians are usually the same shape as their instruments.

So to save time in school, just give the lanky kid the trombone, and the fat kid gets the tuba.

Regards,
    Pete, tenor horn shaped.

bigdean

Very luck op, we found the n.i.c.u. staff fault less ward staff less so.

9 years ago next week dean jr was born very prem and have a picture show just bigger than my hand. This summer he’s just gone throuh his second heart op to put a valve in thats been missing since the first op a age 1.
    Sadly someone at work lost their son a few weeks ago, hes not stop having cuddles since. Completly awsome child but i’m biased.

Is it all parents that think of their kids more fondly when they are asleep? As oposed to test the boundries of 9 year old attitude.

jamj1974

Firstly, that’s brilliant stuff Harry. Very chuffed for you.

First go, lower risk, natural birth – midwife ace. Second go, high risk, mandatory caesarean – delivery team shit, utter shit. Wife mistreated, did not know if sons alive or dead for several hours. Pre-natal care however, excellent -just the best. Post-natal care including NICU also amazing.

Not all midwives are made equal…

dannybgoode

Babybgoode ended up on scbu as well with suspected strep b. The staff were chuffing marvelous – nothing but the highest respect for them. Luckily after a week he was given the all clear but it was a big worry at the time.

Happy birthday Miss HtS 🙂

donks
    Free Member

44 years ago today I popped into existence.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘8 years ago today’ is closed to new replies.