Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • 8-year old daughter – first serious bike – what to buy?
  • timnwild

Thinking about Saracen Spice, Specialized Hotrock, Giant XTC Junior. Or, as a curveball, just a BMX. With a view to tentative offroad tryouts with an overenthusiastic Dad.

Experiences or advice appreciated.

ta

tinsy
    Free Member

Isla bike… Tiny Tins is not that age yet, but having had various makes of balance bike including a Spesh, then turning to Isla for the first pedal bike the difference is night & day, for kids bikes they have just done the homework & they are better.

binners

You’ll be wanting 24″ inch wheels. The Spice is 20″

My 9 year old has a Carrera Luna. Well the male ‘Blast’ verion as she hates girly pink stuff! She’s been riding it since she was 8. They’re a fantastic bike for the money. The only criiticism is the standard Clarks disc brakes are a bit rubbish so I bunged some Avid BB5’s on.

You can usually pick these up in fantastic condition, dirt cheap on ebay!

She’s happily ripping around Lee Quarry, Phillip Park on it, and absolutely loves it

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    higgo
    Free Member

Watching this thread with interest as my 9yo triplets have pretty much outgrown their 20″ wheeled bikes.

They don’t know they have – they still enjoy riding them – but they have.

edit: I saw a 24″ ‘Revolution’ from EBC the other day – any good?

Junkyard
    Free Member

She must be tall for her age as my short arse 8 year old could not even reach the pedals on that Binners

OP obvioulsy a 650b as 29 er will be miles too big.

Seriously get something with rigid forks as all the forks are heavy and crap

Isla bikes look fab but you really do pay for them [ you will get it back again from ebay /here though

TiRed

Hotrock, Kona Hula, Giant XTC. All are good and recommended. If she is long in the leg, buy used, as you will probably want an XS 14″ framed 26er in a couple of years.

wellywheels
    Free Member

Just about to be Launched!

Formeulabikes

grievoustim
    Free Member

Hottock – ideally the slightly more expensive “XC” version (luckily managed to pay less than RRP for our 2)

Good bikes, prefer to have Vs than heavy cheap discs on a kids bike, look the part too

flicker
    Free Member

Same as Binners. My eldest has a 24″ blast, dumped the grip shift for SRAM triggers and dumped the clarke cable brakes for Shimano hydraulic. We’ve been round Cannock Chase FTD and Monkey Trail this month and we’ll be hitting Llandegla and Marshbrook MTB Marathon next month, loves it 😀

mogrim

Review of Isla Bikes Beinn 24: road.cc/85621 … seems to be a good choice.

My 9 year old has an Orbea something or other, well made with no obviously cheap parts. I think it’s this model, but in slightly different colours: http://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/mx-24-xc-13/

My elder daughter has a Decathlon bike, not a bad bike either, if you’ve got a store near you I’d certainly recommend taking a look.

Don’t underestimate the importance of pinkness (or looks in general) to 8yr old girls, if she thinks it’s a boy’s bike she may well go off it completely. (This of course depends on your kid!)

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I just got my daughter a Beinn 20 large, she is 7 1/2 right now. It does not look big in fact it looks slightly small but i think the 24 would just be too much for her. She should get at least 2 years out the 20″.

She has only just learned to ride about 2 months ago so i wanted the lightest bike i could get, the Beinn 20″ fits the bill.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Islabikes – Beinn 24 most likely but check their size guide as it is spot on. They are light weight, and have everything sized just right… soon after he got his Islabike my then-8-year-old managed to climb our local hill… 140m of vertical.

timnwild

Tempted on the Beinn Large – will do a measurement later just to be sure.

Thanks for all the tips though.

tinsy
    Free Member

Yup as said the size guide is spot on. You honestly wont regret the Isla.

st

Isla Bikes are great and not really that much more than the comparable bikes of the big brands. My 8 year old dauighter has now grown out of her Beinn large and I got a bit carried away with a 26″ wheeled frame on the classifieds last year so back in February she had this

The original plan was to keep the Beinn for most of her riding for this Summer but she loves the big bike and won’t ride the Beinn (which does now look far too small for her). If she was chomping at the bit to ride as much as I’d like her to then I’d think twice about her riding the big bike but she’s quite happy with our local canal towpaths and forest fire roads.

In any event her younger brother has now adopted the Beinn and doesn’t want to ride his little 16″ wheeled bike (although he still does on the school run with Mum).

For reference my duaghter is a somewhere over 135cm tall and can reach the floor fine (seat was only that high to clamp the seatpost in the work stand)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Check out Frog Bikes (.com)
    Like Isla Bikes but more widely available, just as good if not better and cheaper
    British company too
    Lots of lovely little ‘serious bikes’ for kids, I can’t recommend them highly enough. 🙂

br
    Free Member

also Trek MT220

pedlad

You cant go wrong with islabikes if you have the budget. actually a good investment given the resale value.

I wouldn’t recommend the revalation from EBC. My nephew has one and it seems massively heavy. My lad has got a ridgeback i acquired 2nd hand which with new non plastic tyres is a decent ride. I’m considering swapping the stem and handlebars for some parts-bin stuff as they seem overly heavy and if I can get some trying some air forks.

Also might look at swapping the twist shifter as that seemed the biggest limiting factor for my 8yr old on a 7 mile ride last weekend.

Mike-E

We recently got our 8 yr old daughter a Ridgeback MX24. I put a shorter stem on it, otherwise it’s stock. She loves it and has already had a few successful trips to Glentress on it. Result 🙂

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

Specialized Hotrock x2 here. Proper little MTB and very decent weight.

bedmaker

I’d go for an Islabikes Beinn, as others have said for the quality and then resale.
    I bid and didn’t win one local to me which finished the other day here
    £312! That’s cost them £45 per year then. Not too bad.

timnwild

Went for the Islabike Beinn 24 – she’s just tall enough/inside leg enough, so justifies eyewatering price as can be used for a few years then ebayed. Thanks for the tips folks.

martymac

+1 carrera luna, my daughters one was blue.
    the clarks discs are ok if the mounts are replaced so they can actually be set up properly, the sus forks actually move under the weight of a child and they arent too heavy.
    obviously, IF it fits your daughter.

kelvin

Islabikes rule.

Ropeyjob
    Free Member

If you enjoy building your own bike try the Cotic BFe. I bought and built one for my 9 year old from the XS sized frame, and she’s not yet 5′ tall. She just completed the End to End 26 mile off-road run on the Isle of Wight a couple of weeks ago.

br
    Free Member

so justifies eyewatering price

They’re only £350 FFS!

How much did your bike cost?

unovolo
    Free Member

Blatant promotion Alert

I have a 24″ wheeled Decathlon B-twin bike which will be going in the classifieds as soon as I upload the pics.
    Good overall condition built in lights(LED rear/Halogen front),has a Shimano Dynamo front hub,mudguards,V brakes,no suspension,6 speed shimano gears,Built in rear rack.

Needs a new rear tyre but other than that its good to go,if the OP or anyone is interested drop me a email at :
    unovolo at gmail dot com.

timnwild

Went for the Beinn 24 in metallic blue – what a winner. Just the right size (saddle at its lowest, but perfectly rideable so she’ll grow into it) and as soon as she was on it, she shot off like a rocket with a big grin on her face. Brakes soft enough for her small fingers, grip shifter figured out in 2 secs and it’s a lovely, lovely thing.

Happy daughter, happy dad.

andymac
    Free Member

St, what frame is that and what size? My daughter is the same height and age and I am looking at something similar to build up with a spare 8 speed drivetrain and 26 inch wheels.

wwaswas

glad it fitted tim 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

They really are as good as the hype, as I said, I resisted first off as I wanted to go to the shop with Tiny Tins & pick the bike, Spesh Hotwalk, but once I bought into the Isla thing that was it, they are just better than anything else I have seen.

You never know we might get the timing right & I will buy it off you later on!!

st

Andymac, it’s an old Jamis frame, from memory it measures up at about 13″. I dropped on well on the classifieds last year, the frame had been powder coated by the seller but never used afterwards and I paid about a tenner plus postage for the frame and fork. There are plenty of retro frames about in small sizes that sell cheaply but it’s a case of waiting for one in decent condition as if you have to factor in re-painting the frame then the costs quickly seem slightly less attractive.

cr500dom
    Free Member

st – Member
    My 8 year old dauighter has now grown out of her Beinn large and I got a bit carried away with a 26″ wheeled frame on the classifieds last year so back in February she had this

Thats lovely, a very lucky girl

bartimaeus
    Free Member

“Heavy Duty Steel Frame” = heavy

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

My 9year old recently acquired a trek mt220.its a great little bike and can often be found on eBay for around £70-80on eBay.

antigee

another Hotrock vote here – but seen plenty of kids very happy on the Treks

“Don’t underestimate the importance of pinkness (or looks in general) to 8yr old girls, if she thinks it’s a boy’s bike she may well go off it completely. (This of course depends on your kid!”

just sorting youngest daughters kit for ice hockey training tonight and I know will be getting major grief as the only clean top I can find is a girlie pink one – does depend a bit

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Another vote here for Frog bikes. My mate just got one for her daughter and its a proper bike – lightweight, half decent kit. I’m looking to get one for my dauther in a few months.

loddrik
    Free Member

My 8 yr old has a Gary Fisher Cosmo. It’s heavy but it rides well enough. Reading a couple of posts above made me laugh. Someone taking their 8 yr old to glentress. Mine is a bloody wimp. Never in my wildest dreams could I take her to a trail centre.

allfankledup

My kids got BMX – the bikes are low maintenance, crash well and won’t need to be replaced as they grow…..

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘8-year old daughter – first serious bike – what to buy?’ is closed to new replies.