Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 8 to 10 speed – new front mech needed?
  • leffeboy

As my shifters were dying anyway and the chain and cassette were dead I thought it time to get a little more up to date and upgrade my bike from 8 to 10 speeds. So a new shimano clutch mech, shifters and cassette were bought and fitted along with a SRAM chain. The rear now shifts beautifully but the front really doesn’t want to play nicely at all. It was never a problem on 8 speed but with 10 it really doesn’t want to play at all (it’s a triple btw)

Is there really a difference in front mechs between 8 and 10speed? The chain is a bit narrower but I wouldn’t have thought it enough to cause a problem. The front rings haven’t changed but they are only a couple of years old so I would think they are already compatible with 10 speeds but I can’t quite remember. I’m in for an evening of whisky and fettling but if all that will solve it is a new mech I can save myself the fettling.

So it is new mech time or do I just need to fiddle and tweak a little?

deadkenny
    Free Member

As I understood it front rings are usually 9/10 speed, not specific to either. Not sure about 8, but thought they were the same also.

Didn’t think front mechs were 10 speed specific either, though before I went 1×10, the SRAM 2×10 set up I had was labelled as a 2×10 front mech, which I thought was odd. Or maybe just a branding thing to sell it as a 2×10 package.

leffeboy

Or maybe just a branding thing to sell it as a 2×10 package

Sheldon suggests that it may just be branding as well. I may just have to play and bend a little to see what can be done

brassneck

Is it the same chainrings? I could see that being an issue with a newer narrower chain.

leffeboy

same chainrings but I’m fairly sure they are only 2 or three years old so should be fine. I’ll have a nose through my emails to see if I can work out when they were bought. It would be a pain if they need replacing as it seems cheaper to buy a complete crankset than replace rings and that just goes against the grain

..unless I want an excuse to go to 2×10 of course 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘8 to 10 speed – new front mech needed?’ is closed to new replies.