Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 8 speed chain with 9 speed cassette
  • tron
    Free Member

I'm putting a bike together for a mate. It's got a new 8 speed chain (came with the bike, which was running 9 speed deore shifters & mech, with a 6 speed freewheel!), but everything else is 9 speed.

Will it work, or do I just need to fork out for a 9 speed chain?

Zilog
    Free Member

will not work. Spacing on 9 speed shifter is not the same as 6, 7 or 8 cassetts.

Edit sorry it say 9 speed cassette on top that will not fit a 6 speed freehub body unless you start ripping a few cogs off it. If you do that you will want to use a 9 speed chain

philsimm
    Free Member

IIRC an 8 speed chain will be too wide for the 9 speed sprockets so you will need a 9 speed chain

tron
    Free Member

Sorry, to clarify, it came with a mad mix of speeds – the bike had been owned by some kind of mechanical lunatic in the past.

I want to run 9 speed parts – mech, shifters & cassette, and I'm wondering if the 8 speed chain will work tolerably.

jacko54321
    Free Member

… no,

it will snap and ruin the cassette

BigJohn

If you do that you will want to use a 9 speed chain

you will need a 9 speed chain

Do you need somebody to say it again?

No it won't work tolerably.

tron
    Free Member

I know that by the book you need a 9 speed chain on 9 speed drive, but I wondered if anyone has actually tried it – plenty of stuff that shouldn't work does.

As far as I can see, the difference is in the external width of the chain – pitch (as in link length) and internal width are the same.

BigJohn

Why ask us then?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It just won't work. The chain is too wide for the sprocket spacing. 9sp chains aren't expensive, so just get stuff that will work and save shedloads of hassle! 🙂

tron
    Free Member

Because I haven't got the bits together to try it! Like I say, external width is different – so in theory the plates could foul the sprocket either side of the one they're running on.

BigJohn

so in theory the plates could foul the sprocket either side of the one they're running on.

In practice too.

Tron or Troll?

tron
    Free Member

BigJohn, have you tried it? It's a difference in external width of under half a mm.

It sounds like PP may have. You just sound like you're trying to have an argument.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No, I've not tried it. Why would I when I know it will cause problems? For the sake of a £10 chain I can't see why you'd even think about it.

Aidy
    Free Member

I've done it.
    It worked acceptably.

tron
    Free Member

Thanks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

For the sake of a £10 chain I can't see why you'd even think about it.

Cos he has an 8s chain already?

I'm not surprised (i) that it works, (ii) that one poster who has tried it has said it works, and (iii) and the others don't appear to have experience.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I prefer more than 'acceptable' thanks. I imagine I could get it to work if I had to, but I really, really don't see the point of even trying.

I could get my forks to work 'acceptably' with no oil in them. But they wouldn't be nice to use or last very long.

It's the same thing.

Do, or do not. There is no try. 8)

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Do, or do not. There is no try

<Yoda mode> Live by those words I do, hmmm </Yoda mode> 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

I imagine could get it to work if I had to, but I really, really don't see the point of even trying.

Ah, so you don't know what you are talking about, never having tried it?

You should try harder – or "do", as you say.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You should try harder – or "do", as you say.

Sorry, I'm waaaaaay ahead of you there, pal!

Just in case you think I'm being snobby about this, I should mention that the last time I replaced my drivetrain I got 3 new chainrings, a nearly new X7 rear mech, a nearly new Deore cassette, a decent rear hub (I built the wheel myself using the old spokes and rim) and a new chain for £45.

Go on, beat that. I dare you. 🙂

I'm a real pro at doing things on a budget, but why cut your nose off to spite your face?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sorry, my bad maths

Knackered, used wheel for £5 donated cassette and hub (And also a brake disc)
    3 Shimano chainrings off the classifides for £17
    £10 chain
    £17 X7 Mech

= £49 drivetrain.
    🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'm a real pro at doing things on a budget, but why cut your nose off to spite your face?

Bully for you, I didn't say you weren't.

If you had an 8s chain sitting there, why not try it? Cost = zero.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you had an 8s chain sitting there, why not try it? Cost = zero.

Yeah, fair enough. But then why ask about it? Just do it and find out.

Do. Or do not…. 😛

cynic-al
    Free Member

"do or do not" = cretin! 😛

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Eh?

tron
    Free Member

But then why ask about it? Just do it and find out.

Because my mate gave me the bike as a frame and a carrier bag full of bits. The guy who had it before him had managed to fit the wrong mech hanger, and my mate had managed to lose the mech hanger bolts.

And beyond that, it hasn't got any wheels yet (still waiting on the post). And I haven't got an 8 speed powerlink. So just doing it wasn't particularly practical.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mr Podgy, I'm calling you a cretin. try do harder! 😛

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘8 speed chain with 9 speed cassette’ is closed to new replies.