Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 8 speed campagnolo cassette on Hope Mono Pro 3 hubs, can it work?
  • RAGGATIP
    Free Member

I am considering replacing the rear wheel on my racing bike which is currently Campagnolo chorus 8 speed with a wheel built around a Hope Mono Pro 3 hub. I’d imagine the Hope will only fit 10 speed cassettes. Is there any way to convert this to 8 speed as I don’t want the additional cost of upgrading the ergo power levers and the rear derailleur to be 10 speed compatible?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You used to be able to get shimano spacers to make their 8s cassettes work in a campag system.

Can’t see any other way round it, IIRC the 2 8s systems weren’t similar enough to be cross-compatible.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Several easy ways considering the fact that a Campag casstte will not fit on a Hope hub but Shimano do. Do as I do and just bung a Shimano 8 speed on. Differences in pitch and therefore indexing are minimal and it will work. A touch of wear in your chain and its even better.
    Alternatively find a cassette with Campag spacing but Shimano splines. Ambrosio do cheapish ones.
    3rd choice is respace a Shimano cassette . try highpath engineering.
    Not cheap.
    I have been running the first way for years with no problems.
    You could search for “Shimergo” on the web or take a short cut and go to the CTC forum. Lots of info about re routing the cable to change the pull. Or go to SJSC and look in brake spare for cable rattio changers.
    Just bung a 8 speed shimano/Sram cassette on.

Smarty
    Free Member

Hope do a Campag freehub body to fit on the Pro III mono hub, then I imagine you’d just need a thin spacer to use your 8 speed campag cassette.

STATO
    Free Member

Yup, hope make a Campag freehub for the Pro3 hubs. However im not sure if Campag 10 freehubs are the same as the old 8, i know they changed at some point so you may wish to check that before you buy. Another option of course is to buy a steel hope (shimano) freehub and use one of those conversion cassettes with individual cogs and spacers as Matt above suggested, id not reccomend the alloy hope freehubs for that tho.

aP
    Free Member

8spd campag has a different spline to the current 9/10/11 spline.

69er
    Free Member

Wot ap said ^^^^.

Call Hope, but you’ll be lucky unless the freehub bodies are available in the ‘old’ spline pattern and backwards compatible if you can find one.

It’s gonna get expensive!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Didn’t know that Hope did Campag splines. 8 speed isn’t compatible with 9 and 10. Its easier just to try a mix.

tonyg2003

The only fully compatible option is a Marchisio cassette using 9speed sprockets and 8 speed shifters. 8sp shimano on campag gears is a pain. You are much better off getting a NOS campag hub and getting a wheel built up from that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

cheaper to service your existing hub!

heavier too 🙁

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Cynic-Al that’s what I have been thinking. My groupset is from 1995. I think my best bet is to go with a rebuild retaining my Campag Chorus hubs and replacing the rims, spokes and nipples. I’m using the spoke calc to get the dimensions. I’ve decided to go for CPX 33 rims with 14mm brass nipples and DT Swiss Competition spokes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘8 speed campagnolo cassette on Hope Mono Pro 3 hubs, can it work?’ is closed to new replies.