Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 7Stanes and what other non biking highlights to see in Scotland?
  • steelfan
    Free Member

Gf and I are spending out holiday touring Scotland this year. Cant do all the 7stanes but which ones would you recommend and what other non biking highlights should we see?

simonralli2
    Free Member

I think it would help if you said how many days you have available for biking and what type of biking you enjoy. Will you be biking with your GF and are you both of the same fitness and skill levels?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Non biking highlights. Scenery? Culture? Architecture? History?

forge197
    Free Member

It's probably best to say don't do Glentrool and Newcastleton if you are pushed for time the others + Drumlanrig are plenty of fun but does depend what genre of riding you are after and if you need multi-level trails.

Tourist wise what about Drumlanrig Castle, Electric Brae guess as Simon say depends what you want there are open farms, nice gardens that sort of stuff in Dumfries and Galloway just depends on your interests.

jimmy

Do Kirroughtree and tour the West Coast up to Laggan, then up to Ullapool and across to Golspie. Stunning country, great fun riding.

steelfan
    Free Member

We have 14 days holiday at the beginning of June and reckon 5 days will be spent around 7stanes. Both similar riding levels but I reckon her fitness is a little better than mine. Singletrack is our thing and were hoping to do some non centre riding also. As for non biking all the things TJ sugested but what is a must see?

allyharp

If you've got that much time off and you're planning to travel further North anyway you'd be much better taking the time to do Laggan, Golspie or the Cairngorms etc

danti

As Jimmy says do Kirroughtree, Glentress/Innerleithen XC course, Laggan.

Drives: Morar via Glencoe/Fort Bill. Kyle of Lochalsh via Kintail. Applecross and then on to Torridon, stunning scenery here and riding.
    Then up to Ullapool then Lochinver/Ardvreck and round Drumbeg Road on to Kylesku Bridge/Sandwood Bay/Cape Wrath.

Back down east coast to Golspie/Learnie. Sorted

Airdrie – the original land of milk and honey.

Be sure to take the tour of the stadium – it's gigantic with an enourmous trophy room.

Also has the best and most vibrant (marching) music scene in Scotland.

If you get bored there, hop on the train to Coatbridge and experience The Time Capsule. 2nd only in the UK to Alton Towers for family fun and stabbings.

Dair
    Free Member

If you like singletrack, Kirroughtree is probably the most fun you could have at the Borders' trail centres.

I would also suggest going to Aviemore and speaking to the guys in Bothy Bikes for some fantastic routes in and around the Cairngorms. Everything from big mountain day rides, to short loops on great trails in and around Loch Morlich and Loch an Eilein.

Golspie is great, but it's a long way to go.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Get Scotland the Best by Peter Irvine. Will tell you all you want to know about what to see and do up here. Definately recommend the North West, magical with just a couple of downsides, rain and midgies. 😆

Trekster

mining

Drumlanrig

Hic

Quaint wee village

Bit of culture

wildlife

history

Tons more to do in D&G than people think

Cant do all the 7stanes but which ones would you recommend and what other non biking highlights should we see?

Depends on fitness etc but possible to do Ae, Mabie, Dalbeattie and Drumlanrig in a morning each and still have time to do something else.

hoping to do some non centre riding also.

For D&G OS78 is your friend, Lowther Hills just across the road from Drumlanrig
    Move base and take a bit longer to do Kirroughtree and then travel north via West coast and do a bit of island hoping using the ferries.
    http://www.calmac.co.uk/

I will be away on hols from 18th June so if you want/need some local guidance give me a shout, work shifts so available whenever I am off obviously. Lowther Hills, Mabie & Dalbeattie are my speciality 😉

Macavity
    Free Member

Get a copy of Scotland the Best by Peter Irvine

scotabroad

Dare I also say as well as the great outdoors which are fantastic the cities have plenty to see and do as well if you are into that sort of thing. e.g. Edinburgh old town great for a touristy wander, pubs, restaurants, castle, Holyrood, museums etc.

fruitbat

If you get bored there, hop on the train to Coatbridge and experience The Time Capsule. 2nd only in the UK to Alton Towers for family fun and stabbings.

Blimey I didn't know Alton Towers was that bad!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘7Stanes and what other non biking highlights to see in Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.