Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 7mm allen key – anyone used one?
  • pnik

Just realised my very worn set of allen keys has a pointless 7mm included. Looking at it, clearly never been used.

Does anyone have a bolt with a 7mm head? Does anyone else have tools that have never been used?

nickjb
    Free Member

We used to buy sets of Allen bits at work that came with a 5.5mm bit. When the guys lost a few of the useful sizes (4, 5 ,6) they’d buy another set. We must have had a draw full of the 5.5mm ones.

In my own tools I must have hundreds of unused ones now. Hardly ever work on cars now and certainly not classics so all my imperial stuff.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I seem to remember struggling to find one for a car once upon a time. It was a Citroen or a fiat I think.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimc101
    Free Member

Car discs often need them, not much use for bikes though

parkesie
    Free Member

7mm is handy for some car brake caliper sliders if you ever do your own brake pads.

petrieboy

Yup, brake calipers on a mondeo getting on for 20 years ago – for some reason having to go to Halfords to buy a single Allen key sticks in my mind!

CHB

Audi and Volvo brakes need a 7mm one too. Never used a 7mm anywhere else though.

pnik

Ive a volvo, but never done anything past light bulbs and screen wash!

mattbee

“A bit of a five and a half” is slang at work for someone who’s a tool & seldom useful.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had to go and buy one a few months ago for some random job on the car. Ranted at that particular engineer for a while, I did.

duncan

The only thing I’ve ever used my 7mm allen key on is the one-key release on some old Campag C-Record cranks, like these

And a neighbour borrowed it once for his car (as above).

Naturally, I had to get it specially because it wasn’t supplied with the set I had…

trail_rat
    Free Member

7mm are fork clamp mounts on some old BMW motorbikes

They are strutt top bolts on PSA cars and many others.

They do calliper carrier bolts on many cars

More pointless tool would be them **** triple square bits found on vw. Different for the same of being different bollocks.

molgrips
    Free Member

More pointless tool would be them **** triple square bits found on vw. Different for the same of being different bollocks

Actually I realyl like using those – more positive than torx or allen bolts. Once you buy a set, it’s plain sailing 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Surely by your own justification.

Once you buy a 7mm Allen key it’s plain sailing.

I find it easier just not to buy a vw then I won’t need triple square 🙂

tomd
    Free Member

I’ve got one…calliper bolts on a VW T5.

simon_g

Yep, several things on my old Peugeot 106 GTi. Remember neither my huge car socket set or any of my bike tools had 7mm and I had to buy it separately.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘7mm allen key – anyone used one?’ is closed to new replies.