Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 7/8 speed compatibility
  • theotherjonv

Picked up a bike for my daughter which is 3×7 equipped. I want to convert to trigger shifters, she finds the gripshift difficult and looking at kit I can get 3×8 shifters and a cassette for not much more than the cost of the 3×7 triggers

I am right in recalling that 7 and 8 speed are the same chain width, aren’t they? Am I missing anything?

maccruiskeen

3×8 shifters and a cassette

The wheel might not be compatible – weren’t 7sp and 8/9sp hubs different? Look and see if theres a spacer in there. The chain was the same width so the cassette (and therefore the free hub) had to be wider for 8sp

Junkyard
    Free Member

what they said cassette on 8 is wider and 8/9 was same with spacer needed for 8 speed

& works with 7 speed only

hols2
    Free Member

As above, the 7 speed cassette is narrower than the 8 speed. You can fit a 7 speed onto an 8 speed hub with a spacer, but not vice-versa.

thecaptain
    Free Member

You can just use the 8 speed shifters on 7 speed cassette. It’s not perfect but works well enough (4.8 vs 5mm gaps on cassette IIRC). We swap regularly on our tandem – touring and race wheel are 8 and 7 speed respectively.

theotherjonv

The chain was the same width so the cassette (and therefore the free hub) had to be wider for 8sp

good spot – will have a look in a bit

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘7/8 speed compatibility’ is closed to new replies.