Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • 747 at Gatwick
  • househusband

News now – stuck/faulty landing gear.

Fingers crossed.

jambalaya
    Free Member

EDIT: plane landed OK

Links ? Source ?

My father was on a plane with a similar issue, they circled until they had used most of the fuel then landed, thankfully ok as gear held.

EDIT: the problem arose a while ago, took off at 11:44 to fly to Vegas and returned after problem arose, circled to lose/dump? fuel

SKY News Link

MrWoppit
    Free Member
    ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

According to my App, it’s landed.

milky1980
    Free Member

On BBC News now, sounds like an emergency landing is planned.

househusband

Down and in one piece it seems, thank goodness.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

jambalaya
    Free Member

speculation from me: landing gear fault was that they couldn’t retract it after take off

Hate to encourage anything Murdoch related but live Sky Link

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYlQJbsVs48[/video]

milky1980
    Free Member

Remind me never to plan to fly around any new year, planes seem to either fail or go missing.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

It was this, apparently.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Person in the landing gear?

Tis live on Sky news

thepurist

Sorted.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just reported that plane circled in Bristol Channel for 2 hours to burn (cough dump) fuel and then overflew Southampton Airport at low level presumable so ground staff could observe landing gear. Also Air Traffic control center for London/Heathrow is at Swanwick near Southampton so perhaps they had a look too.

jon1973
    Free Member

My father was on a plane with a similar issue, they circled until they had used most of the fuel then landed, thankfully ok as gear held.

Can they dump their fuel? Just wondering as it was bound for the USA so there must have been 7 or 8 hours worth of fuel – that’s a long time to circle.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Yes, they can dump fuel, but given the amount of fuel onboard, that takes some time.
    That’s not a problem in this case, as it gives the crew some thinking time and the airport time to prepare for a return. In a more time critical situation, they could have landed straight back, but would obviously have a lot more energy to dissipate.
    Well done, everyone home for tea and medals!

cobrakai

From what I heard, pilot shut down an engine due fault over bristol channel and requested a return to Gatwick. Dumped fuel for a time and proceeded back to Gatwick. On approach the gear had not dropped so did a fly past for the tower to visually check. Then held over south coast to fault find.

Swanwick doesn’t have a glass roof.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@cobrakai – I assumed they might just stand in the car park and have a gander 😉

@john, yes as posted above they can dump. They cannot (I believe) circle 2 hours and burn 8+ hours of fuel they would be carrying

bikebouy
    Free Member

We have lots of planes fly over the river Hamble, Swanwick is at the top of the river ohhh about 3/4’s of a mile away, they could have phoned me, i’da popped out to take a look 😀
    A lot of planes taking off from Southampton heading north do a route up the river then on into the Downs…

globalti
    Free Member

Fully fuelled, they’re too heavy to land.

imnotverygood

@cobrakai – I assumed they might just stand in the car park and have a gander

People at Swanick only see blips…they probably wouldn’t know one end of a 747 from another

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Globalti, I don’t think they’re too heavy to land in an emergency – but you’d need a long runway and would have very hot brakes/burst tires. With that in mind, time permitting, you’re better off reducing weight.

jon1973
    Free Member

Plus I don’t think you want to be crash landing with 200 tonnes of fuel on board.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Fully fuelled, they’re too heavy to land.

No they aren’t.

They have to be able to perform an emergency landing fully loaded with fuel/payload etc. Granted it’s not the best thing to be doing but they can and it does happen fairly often.

Jamie
    Free Member

cheers_drive

As they need to lose the fuel anyway why not just fly to Las Vegas as planned. Are they not just as capable of assisting an emergency landing?

TrekEX8
    Free Member

If the gear is partly down, they won’t have enough fuel to get to Vegas, the drag is too much….

BigJohn

The photo of the landing on BBC news websites seems to show the starboard inner engine shut down. Unless it was a really fast shutter setting so you can see the spiral on the cone without blurring.

And if landing on a broken undercarriage I think I’d want it to be as light as possible.

jon1973
    Free Member

Not sure it would make it if the undercarriage hadn’t retracted properly.

toby1

As they need to lose the fuel anyway why not just fly to Las Vegas as planned. Are they not just as capable of assisting an emergency landing?

Surely the aero impact of half deployed landing gear would mean harder to control, vibration, possible increased fuel use, none of which would be a good idea?

cobrakai

The smoking shelter in the car park is too dirty, so even if I looked up I’d not see it! 😆

We do know what a 747 looks like. One ends more pointy than the other. 😉

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Media seemed to make it doom and gloom. Just one set of landing gear has failed. No ‘big’ deal. All of this is done in simulators for training for all pilots, so just an unusual landing, that’s all. Landing gear collapse would have been almost impossible, as they are locked into location and the plane had done flybys to check all was OK. All the news is that they were not going to be able to land.

BigJohn

One end is a bit blunt if it goes in nose first. And there was never a suggestion they weren’t going to land. Just how.

mssansserif
    Free Member

I had an hour long Glasgow to Glasgow flight once.

Pilot announced over the intercom we would have to return due to landing gear fault. Followed by some mild panic and second message from steward saying it wouldn’t retract and was fine to land on.

Still a little scary.

theotherjonv

Media seemed to make it doom and gloom. Just one set of landing gear has failed. No ‘big’ deal. All of this is done in simulators for training for all pilots, so just an unusual landing, that’s all.

This. In fact, just watched the news and slightly surprised to hear that Branson has ‘hailed the pilots as heroes’

My mate flies big jets for another airline, and he had an emergency landing a few years back with an engine fire shortly after takeoff. As he said, it had all been trained for in the simulator, they followed procedure and it went OK barring a couple of broken bones with passengers bouncing off the end of the evacuation slides! He and his first officer were called in to the pilot’s office after, told well done and that they were getting their roster changed because clearly it had messed up their trip routing, but apart from that no fuss, no media, no ‘special treatment’ – because it was their job to do what they had just done, and nothing ‘heroic’ worth noting.

Which is exactly what he expected and wanted. Back at work two days later.

pedropete

Hats off to the pilot/crew, but the cynic in me says this will bolster the argument that Gatwick needs a 2nd runway, as they’ve had to shut the airports “only” runway. Or would they have diverted flights/ cancelled departures, even if there was more than one runway? Genuine question.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Well, well done that flightcrew anyway.

winston
    Free Member

Flew over me a couple of times this arvo – could clearly see the gear had malfunctioned – it was very low!

Daffy

Interesting fault. I thought that the safety default for landing gear was into the deployed position. If it jammed during retraction, then maybe that would explain it.

avdave2

It circled above our house for half an hour or so, passing directly overhead each time it turned south. It certainly was low enough to see the landing gear down with the naked eye.

Nobby

Had a similar situation a few years back when returning from Antigua. The main flaps didn’t retract properly after take off which meant that a) there wouldn’t be enough fuel to cross the Atlantic due to the drag and b) the stall speed on landing would be too high to touch down safely & actually stop on most runways.

They managed to get permission for an emergency landing at Barbados (it has the longest runway in the Caribbean) but we spent a couple of hours in the air ‘lightening the fuel load’ which, having a seat alongside the wing, clearly meant open the dump valves & let it all go.

The landing itself was very hard and fast which became very obvious when we rattled past where planes normally taxi off the main runway & kept going despite the braking attempts of the crew. Just about slowed and turned before we ran out of runway with the front of the plane juddering across the tarmac in what can only be described as massive under steer. Being chased by fire engines, ambulances & all manner of emergency vehicles was all a bit “Thunderbirds” though 🙂

It was weird that half the plane was in a full panic & half quite calm, almost serene. Nobby Jr thought it was the best flight he’d ever had but the. Mrs was just about frozen with fear.

On the upside, we got to spend 36 hours in a fantastic 5 star resort, fully inclusive, with a few dollars to spend on clothes, toiletries etc.

Spookily, it was a Virgin flight too.

Edit: The pilot & crew where absolutely fantastic.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘747 at Gatwick’ is closed to new replies.