Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 745mm too wide for XC/AM?
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

Thinking about buying some Sunline V1 bars in Ti-gold but can only get them in 745mm. I know you can cut them down but do people think this is too wide for general dales/peaks/trail centre riding.

Currently riding 685mm wide bars and my hands are always at the edge.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Depends entirely on your height/breadth/arm length/preference.

I’d say do it. I find my 710mm bars dandy, but I’d prob not want to go much further than that personally.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i changed from 685 to 750 sunlines on my 456 and it’s ace. you might need to shorten the stem though. I dropped 20mm off mine.

I now ride with my hands on the grips and it’s been a revelation

sambob
    Free Member

I use 710mm in the peaks without ay issues and i can’t think of anywhere in the peaks atleast where you would struggle using wider bars.

highclimber
    Free Member

I have Deity 710mm high risers on my P7 and I love it! not sure if I would go much wider but as said, it depends on how big you are!

MRanger156
    Free Member

Why shorten the Stem? Currently got a 70mm.

chakaping
    Free Member

Are there a lot of trees where you ride? If not, go for it.

685mm feels very narrow when you go back to it though!

grumm
    Free Member

I’ve got 760 nukeproof bars on my main bike – people laugh at me but I like them 🙂

I do have pretty broad shoulders though.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m using about 750mm xc, downhill and jumping. Works a treat, you won’t go back to narrow bars 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

Whats the effect on stem reach with wider bars, is it more comfy to get a shorter stem as your hands are further apart, causing Pythagoras to like re-calculate stretch n’that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wider bars bake the bike feel longer/more weight over the front, so shortening the stem counteracts this.

760mm here, feels great from a controll point of view, feels a bit odd at first as the longer lever means the bars aren’t constantly being wrenched from your hands through rocky/rooty sections.

Trimix
    Free Member

Its a personal thing, I use 810’s and feel great, but only you can tell. You can always cut wide bars down, you cant make narrow ones wider 🙂

MRanger156
    Free Member

Might go for it then, want my bike to feel a bit longer anyway.

Now – Ti-gold, black or grey?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Go for it wide bars are great. Narrow bars feel funny to me now.

Stem effect is that wide bars slow down the steering and a short stem will speed it back up again.

SamB
    Free Member

As above, try and see if it feels comfortable. For me, 685mm (normal eastons) is too narrow, 710mm (easton cnts) feels pretty good, 760mm (nukeproof) is a bit too wide, so going to chop them down.

chvck
    Free Member

I’ve recently swapped to some 760mm bars too, haven’t tried them for XC yet but they’re great for DH. What I will say is to watch out for trees for a bit until you’re fully used to the new width. It’s surprising what a difference 40mm extra each end of your bars can make when it comes to catching them on obstacles. I’ve still got bruises from 3 weeks ago where I caught the end of my bars on a tree and then went straight into another at full whack.

Bagstard
    Free Member

750mm on my DH bike, 750mm on my do it all and 710mm on my commuter/xc, but I would happily use wider on that too.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Wow that’s an impressive sea change of opinion. Not 12 months ago I remember similar questions to the OP’s bringing STW out in a rash of disapproval and clamours of ‘fashionistas!’

Seems like we’ve woken up to the benefits of wide bar short stem.

750mm bars and 50mm stem here on all my bikes. Has been for the last three years. Surrey Hills riding still isn’t a problem, despite some of the trees being close together.

the_lecht_rocks

interesting – i find 710mm on either a 50 or 70mm stem ideal.

what’s more important is that the ETT of your frame is correctly sized !

clubber
    Free Member

It’s totally personal – some people like them, some don’t . I don’t like wide bars ((at least, I don’t like them wider than 26″/660mm) and I have wide shoulders.

Give it a go basically – you might love them – if not, there are plenty of mugs on here who’ll buy them off you 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

I went from 660mm bars on my Enduro to the full 760mm Nukeproof monty on the Wolf Ridge and welcome the extra control. A short stem helps mitigate any unforeseen tree/knuckle interface moments.

My Enduro now runs 710mm Funn AM bars and feels all the better for it.

woodsa
    Free Member

Ha Ha, I’ve seen Trimix get stuck in between trees though, and gates and to think of it underpasses too!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I find too wide bars uncomfortable

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘745mm too wide for XC/AM?’ is closed to new replies.