Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 73mm road chainset
  • esky123
    Free Member

I have a genesis vagabond that has a 68mm shell but does have the clearance to run a road chainset I have an old mtb chainset running trekking rings but would like a compact chainset any ideas I’m assuming spare taper or middleburns would work any recommendations
    Thanks in advance

guglielmo
    Free Member

Square taper will work with the right BB length.

What are your requirements/problems?

I’d go external BB triple or MTB compact double with a closer ratio rear cassette above a road compact. Few can spin out a 50-11 top gear, but most will crave/need Smaller than a 34T ring when climbing…

Hadge
    Free Member

esky123 email sent.

esky123
    Free Member

I have been running a MTB trekking chainset but taken off the little ring on the chainset running a 36-48 would like a a 34 – 50 would give me a decent range have been running it on a 11-28 and rode up everything I have attempted.

I am thinking of have a 11:32 cassette with 34:50 that would get me almost everywhere I would like to go I would imagine

guglielmo
    Free Member

If I were you I’d just put the granny ring back on rather than buy a wider spaced cassette.

You surely don’t need a gear higher than 48-11? so why bother with the expense and hassle of a new 34/50 chain set?

esky123
    Free Member

My original plan was to go to ultegra but it didn’t work with the chainset when I had the bike it had bar end shifters that I didn’t like so changed to r685s that only run a double and not a triple chainset. So it I changed back would have to get new stis and brakes which will cost just as much

guglielmo
    Free Member

Ok starting to make sense. If you’ve got to go double due to your shifter… Why not put your granny back on, I assume a 26 or 24 tooth, plus a 36/38/40 in the middle position and leave out the big ring? A 40-11 is still a pretty fast gear, then you’ve got the granny for climbing. May need to adjust chain line slightly though

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘73mm road chainset’ is closed to new replies.