Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • 7.15mps broadband speed fast or slow?
  • wishiwascalledsteve

Not really up on computery stuff, but signed up to a new broadband provider and the estimated we’d get 15mps, however they’ve e-mailed and saying that we actually only getting 7.15mps.
    Is 7.15mps a decent speed for the internet?

AlexSimon

On normal phone lines, it’s probably average.
    Unbundled or optic fibre, you could get 30+

cranberry
    Free Member

It is 3.5 times what my parents get in the UK, and 1/4 of what I get in Holland. If you are not really into computery stuff then it is probably plenty.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stilltortoise
    Free Member

Assuming you mean 7.15Mbps, it’s not fast by many modern standards but is a pretty reasonable average. There are unfortunately more factors that affect how well this line will “perform” for example when streaming TV (BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, Netflix etc). It’s not just about out and out speed. Who is the provider?

Until recently I had 6.5Mbps and it was fine for streaming TV and film – even HD stuff – for 95% of the time. Occasionally I would get buffering. My ISP was Zen who are more expensive than most because the quality of the line is so good even though on paper it isn’t the fastest.

What do you want to do on the internet?

toby1

It’s 7 times what you get in my little village – speedtest.net will give you a rating based on the rest of the UK if you feel you need one.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’m lucky if I get 1Mbps and I spend all day connected to remote computers around the country on my crappy little link. Oh and my mobile phone uses my broadband connection as there’s no signal here. I just about cope (although streaming video is a bit painful). 7Mbps for a non-geek internet user is more than plenty.

wishiwascalledsteve

With plusnet. Not overly worried by the speed, more interested. I was never expecting superfast speed as I live in a sheltered area that always has poor reception (no fibre optic, cable, poor tv reception etc).
    Cheers

GrahamS

If you’ve only just signed up then it may get faster over time.

If it is an ADSL connection then it measures line noise and faults and adapts over time. Have another look in ten days.

Cougar

Speed is relative.

It’s slow compared to an 80Mbps fibre connection, and blazingly fast compared to rural ASDL at sub-1Mbps speeds. Is that ‘decent’? Depends what you’re comparing it to. Should be good enough, anyway.

Where I found that I got the biggest pay-off with ADSL2 speeds wasn’t raw speed, but rather that the connection stayed good when I’d got multiple devices all doing stuff. Back when I had a 512Kbps link, that was ‘decent’ so long as no-one else was using the Internet at the time, soon as two people were using it it ground to a halt.

joolsburger
    Free Member

It depends on the price 7.5 is OK but as others have said on cable you can get up to 120Mbps, mine’s around 90 most of the time. I’d be happy with 7.5 if I were paying around £15pm.

footflaps

Virgin Media’s base level is now 20Mb/s (after their free upgrade from 10 Mb/s).

stilltortoise
    Free Member

7Mbps for a non-geek internet user is more than plenty.

In true STW fashion, I beg to differ. With the popularity of Smart TVs and streaming TV and film, line speed and quality is important to non-geeks, since non-geeks like to watch TV and film too you know 😀

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Less than average, but not slow. Similar to what I’m getting and bandwidth has never been a problem in our house.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Again more than 7 times faster than I get 🙁

Rubber_Buccaneer

I get about 7 Mb/s and streaming from lovefilm straight to my smart TV is no problem. If I had a faster connection I probably wouldn’t notice the difference, just as well as fibre will probably not come within miles of me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

About 7 times faster than those outside of a town. In the end of the day unless you can get fibre then it’s all your getting. The real test is does it seem quick to you when your using it.

stumpy01

We used to get between 6 & 7 in our last house. In the new one, we are lucky to hit 3.
    Previously, we could watch iplayer with no buffering etc. but now it is rubbish. So, I’d say 7 is perfectly good if you are on a standard line & not paying through the nose.

Looking to change ours soon as we are paying talktalk almost as much for this as we would be paying plusnet for 35Mbs!

jfletch
    Free Member

Less than average, but not slow.

What is the UK average, I though it was 2.

I’d be delighted with 7 where we live and since 7 is enough to watch HD video unless you have multiple concurrent users or other niche requirements I’d be relatively happy at that rather than being jealous of the 120Mbps fibre geeks!

chvck
    Free Member

On just to disagree some more, I have ~8 and am very much a geek internet user and I find it to be plenty enough! However, I do my bulk of downloading between midnight and 8am and don’t stream HD so horses for courses I guess.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have 0.9MBps. It is not enough to stream standard quality iPlayer on the Playstatoin.

franksinatra

Good enough for dirty websites with streaming. What else do you need the internet for?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Uk average is 9 apparently: http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19267090

Its a but unfair though ad there’s a massive discrepancy between city with fibre available and those of us in the countryside who’ll be lucky to get a couple of mbps.

stumpyjon

Roll on 4G, if the wired networks don’t get their act together in the next few years alot of people outside the towns will be going wireless, I will. Won’t take a lot to improve on the 2Mbps connection I’ve got and no sign of fibre.

molgrips
    Free Member

If there were an unlimited mobile option I’d be there like a shot. I’ve got no friends to play online games with anyway.

jfletch
    Free Member

Uk average is 9 apparently: http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19267090

So it is but that is the mean average. But mean average is a pretty crappy stat in this instance, the web page says 8% of people have speeds over 30mbps so they will be skewing the average, nobody will have a speed of <0!

It would be better if we knew the median average which I’d wager would be about 2.

Cletus
    Free Member

I live just outside Cheltenham but unfortunately am connected to the Shurdington exchange which gives me 2.5 Mbps. Not on the schedule for FTTC and Virgin will not cable our area despite having services two streets away. This does not stop virgin, BT etc. sending leaflets saying that their services are available – morons 😡

whatnobeer
    Free Member

So it is but that is the mean average. But mean average is a pretty crappy stat in this instance, the web page says 8% of people have speeds over 30mbps so they will be skewing the average, nobody will have a speed of <0!

Yup! Exactly what I was thinking, but didnt express it very well. I can never be bothered with long, eloquent replies when reading on a mobile. My parents live in a very rural part of Scotland and there are apparently plans to get ‘fast’ (whatever that means) broadband available to everyone in the next year or two. I’m not holding my breath.

chvck
    Free Member

The day that mobile broadband becomes unlimited and not silly expensive will be most excellent!

molgrips
    Free Member

Not as excellent as the day when I get cable or fibre in my street!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Does 4g mobile broadband not suffer from a fair amount of latency? We used to have a satellite broadband connection years ago and through it was fast for the time 2mbps, it had a huge amount of latency. Skype calls were almost impossible and there’s nothing like online gaming where you ping count runs of 9s to display….

molgrips
    Free Member

Has anyone got hold of a 4G dongle yet?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘7.15mps broadband speed fast or slow?’ is closed to new replies.