Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 700c wheels on Kona Lavadome Frame
  • chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

Hi,

I have a 21″ kona lavadome frame with sliding dropouts, and want a hybrid bike. Is it possible to use 700c wheels on the frame with the correct forks? I have tried putting some 700c wheels on and they fit, but will the geometry be messed up with 700c compatible forks?

cooie

You can use non 700c forks if you want to keep the geometry.

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

But then i guess I cant use a 700c wheel on the front? umm, will see.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

it’ll be fine with the mtb forks – the issue is the brakes. No problem with discs but if you run Vs then it’s more fiddley.

If you fit 700c forks they are usually shorter C2A than MTB forks so it’ll speed up the steering a bit, and drop your BB.

the-muffin-man

I would use a 420 or 440mm rigid MTB fork in the frame. If you put a road fork in it will drop the front end by a good inch or two making it too low IMO (depending on make).

I use 440mm forks on mine…

letmetalktomark

My 1999 Caldera ……

420mm front forks as it was originally designed for a 65mm fork 😉

35mm tyres pictured with plenty of room.

charliemort

Errmmm pulls up a chair

I have my ’93 converted to drops, and am also toying with idea of bigger wheels. Trouble is I don’t have disc mounts

So…….

1. Is there a fork available that Llows you to use 700c wheel and v brakes?
    2. Assuming 700 c wheel will go in the back, is there a way of getting the v brake to fit?

Thanks

letmetalktomark

@ Charliemort …. The neatest way I have seen this done is by using Pauls Monolites

That way you can re use the std frame and fork mounts.

A cheaper option is to use a Mavic 700c adapters. Cheaper but IMHO not as neat:

hunterst
    Free Member

Just noticed this post – but i did exactly this with my lavadome – thread linky below

29er halo wheels and white bros carbon 26″ forks

At the time i had 700×28 tyres fitted but have recently put on 700×40’s just for a change – no issues at all.

Rides really well

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-bike-build-pics-1

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘700c wheels on Kona Lavadome Frame’ is closed to new replies.