Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 700c Disc specific rims?
  • cookeaa

Do they exist?

I only ask as I’m half considering a Salsa Vaya F&F and cannibalising my current Road bike for 80% of the parts but seeing as the Vaya is a disc specific 700c frame I’ll be wanting some new wheels, having some disc specific rims would make sense (especially if they are lighter) but I’ve not yet seen any, or do I just go with some decent Mavics, Open Pro’s?

TooTall
    Free Member

Erm………some of us call them '29er' these days. Just look up 29er rims on CRC for example.

Sam

Yes, lots of disc specific 29er rims out there, but if you are looking primarily toward road used and narrower tyres you may be better served by a regular road rim.

rootes1

yep erto 622 = 700c in the road bike world and 29er in the mtb world…

mavic TN719 '29er' rims are nice, also shimano do a nice set of '29er' wheels just the job

wwaswas

a lot of the track/fixie rims don't have a braking surface and are designed for narrow road tyre.

Macavity
    Free Member

"A 317 Disc is one of the few 700C rim on the market, especialy designed to withstand the stress of disc brake."
    http://www.mavic.com/road/products/a-317-disc.995002.2.aspx

cynic-al
    Free Member

I really don't see how the stresses are going to be sgnificantly different!

solarider
    Free Member

Mavic Open Pro CDs do not have a machined braking surface and work well if you want to run road tyres. I have built these up several times to run with discs, and at least they don't look like rim brake discs.

In specific answer to your question, there are now narrow, disc specific road rims and 29er rims tend to be wider to acomodate mtb tyres. Open Pro CDs are as close as you will get.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I ask this one every now and again….. I too want true 700c road wheels for skinny 23mm tyres, which most 29er and touring rims don't suit (without spreading the tyre)

Alex used to do one that was fitted to Focus Mares Cross Disc a couple of years ago, but I never found one in the UK

Velocity will do deep section rims in lots of nice colours/drillings and don't machine the braking if you ask – and these are lighter than Open Pro's.

I see Condor are doing fixed/track rims that are non-machined and pretty light and a good price, so these may go on my shopping list for my next commuter wheels.

aP
    Free Member

There's at least one set of Bontrager 700c disc wheels produced, they've so far lasted for nearly 4 months of pannier commuting in town.

cookeaa

Well seeing as it’s sold as a 700c road bike, I figured I’d kit it out with Road wheels not 29er MTB wheels, I’m not against using 29ers but it will be used as an on road commuter/tourer so I don’t really need the extra heft of an MTB rim, I thought seeing as there’s a couple of road/touring specific disc brakes and frames about now there might be a proper road rim to match…

Suppose a 29er slick/semi slick might open up the off road possibilities for the bike… Hmmmm.

Ta..

rootes1

really apart from width doubt there is much difference between mavic 29er and 700c rims, well apart from marketing 😆

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t really need the extra heft of an MTB rim

NoTubes ZTR 355 Disc 29er: 350g – 380g

Open Pro: 435g

cookeaa

Looks good So can I put say a regular 23mm road tyre on a ZTR 355 29er rim or is it too wide? Anyone actually tried?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Looks good So can I put say a regular 23mm road tyre on a ZTR 355 29er rim or is it too wide? Anyone actually tried?

< Pulls up chair – a chocolate Hob-Nob says the answer is no 😉 >

solarider
    Free Member

Sorry to spoil your sit down and hob-nob! It's too wide. I have tried.

If you don't fancy the Open Pro CDs, then go for the NoTubes 29er option and a wider 25 or 27mm road tyre. Extensive research has shown that there isn't that much difference between the rolling resistance of anything between a 21mm and 25mm tyre. Narrow isn't necessarily better. The contact patch in direct contact with the road at any one time is tiny.

The only trouble is that you might find it hard to find a wider 'racy' lightweight tyre in that width, which would defeat the object somewhat. Personally (as I have done) I would go for the Open Pro CD option. They look good because they don't have that machined braking surface, they are plenty light enough, strong, easily available and a 'proper' roady piece of kit (tried and tested over years on the road, and still used by some teams at Paris Rubaix).

theflatboy
    Free Member

Macavity – Member

"A 317 Disc is one of the few 700C rim on the market, especialy designed to withstand the stress of disc brake."

i've got one of those on the front of my pomp, all good. it is basically a slightly bigger, slightly narrower xc717, by the looks of things. no complaints to date. will be getting another when i get the full disc pompino in a few weeks.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Ah, I see the ambiguity – the Hob-Nob rested on whether it fitted, not if anyone had tried.

I've gone for the Open Pro route as well, simply on availability, and bomb-proof-ness – combined with XT hubs they are certainly 'robust' – but there are other options coming along now and with some lightweight hubs I could save a shed-load of weight quite easily and not too expensively. Plus, I do want to run 23mm tyres – I went to 28mm through the winter and have just changed back to 23mm and (it may be in my head) but they don't feel as 'floaty'/vague

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was wondering about using a Stan's 29er for this as they're pretty light weight and have worked well as 26" on my other bikes. However, Stan's give a recommendation for max pressure. I wonder if this is due to possible tyre roll off or due to the strength of the rim.

druidh
    Free Member

I just went for Open Pros on the basis that they are light enough, come in a 36H option and have a good reputation. The bike and wheels are silver, so the machined braking surface doesn't really bother me.

aP
    Free Member

MA40s would be good too – ever heard about where some of the first specific mtb rims came from?

Macavity
    Free Member

Why narrower tyres?

According to Schwalbe:
    "Why do wide tires roll better than
    narrow ones?
    The answer to this question lies in tire deflection.
    Each tire is flattened a little under load. This creates
    a flat contact area.
    At the same tire pressure, a wide and a narrow tire have
    the same contact area. A wide tire is flattened over its
    width whereas a narrow tire has a slimmer but longer
    contact area.
    The flattened area can be considered as a counterweight
    to tire rotation. Because of the longer flattened area of
    the narrow tire, the wheel loses more of its “roundness”
    and produces more deformation during rotation.
    However, in the wide tire, the radial length of the
    flattened area is shorter, making the tire “rounder” and
    so it rolls better."

page 15 of
    http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/pdf/techinfo.pdf

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I run Mavic Speedcity disc wheels on my commuter with 23 tyres. Very strong and pimpy with black spokes 😉

MM

cookeaa

I think my question was answered yesterday, the A317 disc looks to be the disc specific 700c road width rim I was after.
    All of the 29er MTB jobbies are a tad wide for slimmer roadie tyres, unless I go up to say 28mm where I might be able to use a ZTR 355 29er rim, I’m not averse to running a wider tyre but to be honest it’s a road bike not an MTB and I’d rather not be tied to wider tyres, I can easily fit a 28 to an A317 so it actually covers the bases far better and cost’s less, than the ZTR…

Cheers for the help all…

P.S. Nice commuter MM…

theflatboy
    Free Member

MM, do you ride back past highbury fields on the commute?

Onzadog
    Free Member

So why do 700c rims seem to weigh more than 29er rims?

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

Hang on a minute! ive got mavic a317s on my 29er running maxxis rampages tubeless,does this mean iv e built my wheels up using road rims??? and if so is there any disadvantage to this?

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I do go home that way flatboy

theflatboy
    Free Member

recognised your bike from our ride together a while back, me on the pompino. 🙂

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Rapha cap…usually behind me? 😛

theflatboy
    Free Member

haha, no that's a different guy – and i think i know who you mean! we rode back from highbury corner to green lanes together, talking about forks 😆

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I thought that was a black Scandal you were on? Maybe you've changed your bike?

Tall (very!) blonde guy?

If so that was the first time I had cut through Highbury Fields. Done it every day since! Cheers!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘700c Disc specific rims?’ is closed to new replies.