Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • 70 years ago tonight
  • Harry_the_Spider

My Grandad was sat in his radio truck ready to be loaded up into a ship, and probably scared half to death.

Luckily he wasn’t in the first wave and landed unopposed.

I don’t know how I would have felt in the same circumstances but I’ll take a moment to remember him tomorrow.

ninfan
    Free Member

Humbling to think about isn’t it?

PiknMix
    Free Member

Hero’s the lot of them.

Houns

Yup, nan was telling me yesterday about her uncles having their heads blown off 🙁

pondo

Now that’s a thought worth spending a moment over – we have so much to be grateful for.

Great post.

lump

My granddad was mine clearer. Went in on the first day and spent months clearing the beaches and countryside with a bayonet and a useless metal detector. I cannot comprehend the things he saw. Never talked much but im now starting to imagine what went on

surfer
    Free Member

we have so much to be grateful for.

+1

redstripe
    Free Member

Recently read (the very long) WW2 book all hell broke loose by max hastings, a real eye opener as written from the perspective of those who actually took part, recommended

stumpy01

Very humbling to think about what they did for us all….

Always try to spend a moment thinking of them.

murf
    Free Member

I can’t begin to image how they must have felt, loaded up and waiting to leave landing craft.
    Incredibly brave, every one of them. Beyond my comprehension what they went through.

chewkw
    Free Member

I want to be there with them. :mrgreen:

dannyh
    Free Member

Many of these men were half my age. I get stressed at work in my desk job by tight deadlines for producing sets of numbers on a spreadsheet. People get stressed about queues in supermarkets and their internet connection being a bit slow.

I think a healthy dose of perspective may be in order.

Add a truck load of gratitude and respect and you’re probably half way there.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Amen.

Ninfan, where are those images from?

MoreCashThanDash

Amazing what that generation did for us, and our country.

They must look down on us and all our petty forum spats and wonder why they bothered some days, let alone what they must think of those who don’t think it is worth voting after they gave their lives to preserve that right for us to so casually dismiss.

Neither of my grandfathers were front line in the war – one was an ARP and the other was merchant navy, supposedly on two ships that were sunk.

Did meet a D-Day veteran last year who was blinded by a grenade a couple of days after as they tried to push on from the beaches. He said he remembered the bang, then waking up in the dark, putting his hand up to his face and finding his eyeball hanging there, before his CO said “I wouldn’t mess around with that, old chap!” He was a marvellous old gentleman, lived in a home provided by St Dunstans, very under-rated charity.

zippykona

Just ordinary everyday men. Hope I would have their courage but I very much doubt it.

bearnecessities

Great pictures and as already said, humbling.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Read a fair bit of stuff this week, and there’s so much I didn’t know about that happened on this one single event of a six year war. Made me feel a bit guilty really. Very very brave men that a few of the scrotes knocking around nowadays could’ve learnt a lot from.

mrchrispy

We need to make sure they are never forgotten.
    I’m going to educate my kids in the sacrifice those brave men and women made for us.

epicyclo

My uncle who is 95 will just say it was a shambles, and he means it in the proper meaning of a shambles. He was at Arromanches.

weare138
    Free Member

What dannyh said..
    I’ve just read about both ends of the invasion campaign – Pegasus Bridge and Arnhem. Very brave men and women. I can’t comprehend the thoughts they must’ve had tonight.

Day of Days- respect.

lowey

There was an old guy who lived in a village called Belmont near us. We used to finish our night rides in the local pub, The Belmont Bull. He was called Ron. Some of the stories that gentle, kind, happy old man used to tell us were unbelievable. He was parachuted into Arnhem and fought tooth and nail.

I often wonder if our generation would have been up to what these men and women did for us. I somehow doubt it.

We also need to remember other conflicts and the people that served in them. My dad was a tank commander in Korea. The horrors he witnessed whilst repelling wave upon wave of human assaults by the Chinese still haunt him. Bodies 20 deep. He went to the last meeting of the Korean veterans association and our local paper did not even mention it, despite sending a reporter and photographer.

Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest.

We dont know we have been born.

ninfan
    Free Member

Due to the intricacies of double summer time… The battle for Pegasus bridge would be in full swing right about now 😯

avdave2

I had the privilege to meet a man a few years ago who as an 18 year old had climbed aboard one of those gliders heading for Pegasus Bridge. He only mentioned because he was talking about what he’d done after the war and I asked what he’d done during the war. We’ll be traveling through Normandy in August and I’ll make sure we’ll go via the bridge.

My dad was a tank commander in Korea. The horrors he witnessed whilst repelling wave upon wave of human assaults by the Chinese still haunt him.

An almost forgotten war but many of those who served in both WW2 and Korea always say Korea was a far far worse experience.

robdob
    Free Member

I am standing on top of a lovely hill in Calderdale (part of my job) and I was thinking how beautiful the view is, watching people on their way to work as the day warms up.

70 years ago at this time I’d probably be either dead on a beach in France or inland wondering if I’d ever see views like I can see now again.

We can never say it enough, and there’s not many left to say it to now, but thanks so much.

atlaz
    Free Member

My grandfather went ashore on day+1 as an MP NCO and was never in much danger other than from Frenchmen whose food he was “liberating” for his men. Of 9 brothers who went to war, all of them came back whole physically but a few were very messed up mentally. My other grandfather was a train driver in France who was bombed by the British and Americans with a German guard threatening to shoot him if he stopped or slowed down, he was wounded once in a raid and his brother was nearly drowned by the dambusters in a PoW camp.

The ironic thing is none of them thought it was that unusual to have experiences like that. My father’s generation is the first that didn’t have to go to war and I think that for the people in WW2 it was just the latest in a seemingly never-ending string of wars, large and small to fight in down the generations.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

MrsCat’s Grandad went in with the 51st Highlanders, he had a busy war – D-Day, North Africa, Italy, Berlin then they shipped him off to Palestine. He was a top bloke, pleased he lived long enough so he could see his grandchildren being born.
    My Dad was in Africa when this happened shooting things with his plane.

Amazing things done by ordinary people, keep sparing a thought for how it must have been for the French civilians.

scud
    Free Member

My grandad landed on Gold beach with the Canadians (not sure why, he was english) and was a despatch driver going between the front line and a command centre.

He was a footballer before the war playing top division football for Brighton and Hove Albion and one of my prized possessions is a photo of a Allies vs Germany football match, we think held in Munich stadium just after VE Day, a copy of which is in the D-Day Musuem in Portsmouth along with a pair of binoculars given to him as a gift by a german officer.

My grandad never ever talked about the war, except on the day I passed out of Sandhurst to say he was proud and the day they opened the D-Day musuem where he just went round very quietly, then gradually told a few stories as we sat in the cafe after. My nan talked about it more, she had lost her first husband who was a rear gunner in a bomber and she refused to marry my grandad until the war had finished as she refused to be a widow twice.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup, I can only fleetingly imagine for a teeeny moment how any one of those brave lads and lasses felt on this day.

It’s pittyfull my single moment of rememberance.

My thought’s go with all.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Harry thanks for posting and @ninfan for the photos. My grandfather died fighting in Burma, he was 21 and never saw my mother who was born after he was deployed. With my own kids now at 20, 23 and 25 and thinking back to what I was doing at 21 I am both very grateful and humbled.

MoreCashThanDash

My colleague has just phoned his 95 year old grandfather to remind him to watch it on telly this morning. His grandad went on Sword beach on D Day+2.

kcal

Not spoken to many folk who served in WW2 – relatives either too old or too young (my dad was evacuated, as a child, but to NZ !!) – but I do recall asking my dad, who by then worked in our local Council HQ, why the janitor had a messed up face – turned out to have been one of the ‘troops at Arnhem, a gentler and nicer man you couldn’t wish to meet..

Thoughts and prayers today.

mogrim

My great uncle was there, and at El Alamein. His best mate was blown up driving a truck off the beach.

Still, I have to object to this comment:

I often wonder if our generation would have been up to what these men and women did for us. I somehow doubt it.

Today’s 18 year olds would perhaps need more convincing of the rightness of the war (they are, on average, better educated), but once convinced? I don’t doubt they would be just as brave as previous generations.

pondo

Had a far more thoughtful hour-long drive in this morning listening to Chris Evans on the beach at Arromanches with the veterans, it was much less stressful because the thought occurred that this rat-race we’re all caught up in, it’s really nothing to worry about compared to what thousands of people went through seventy years ago in order to allow us the wonderful freedom we enjoy today.

jambalaya –
    My grandfather died fighting in Burma, he was 21 and never saw my mother who was born after he was deployed.

My Uncle Mike fought in Burma – he was one tough hombre but my dad said he came back a different man. He’d never talk about it and you would never, ever touch him when he was asleep.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

My Uncle Lol fought in Burma, captured by the Japanese and spent 2 years as a POW, the pics of him during training and when he came home could be of a different person. However, I have never met a happier man, always the joker, loved amusing kids – my aunt once said to me that if he had stopped being the family comedian he would remember, and that would break him.

noteeth
    Free Member

My Great Uncle, a Captain in the Somerset Light Infantry, was killed in the bitter fighting near Caen and is buried in Bayeux Cemetery. He left a young widow, pregnant with their only child, and never made it home to his beloved Quantock Hills.

Thanks to them all. We will remember them.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

All of the above but also, a couple of thoughts.

This is likely to be the last full flag ceremony. I heard a veteran on the radio saying that despite that, “We’ll always be back”. Presumably until there’s no veterans left to go back. A slow, gradual fade into the history books.

Also, we know that soldiers who return from conflict suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Imagine the cultural depth and extent of the WW2 PTSD suffered, given the immensity of the horror, and how that must have been a part of shaping the nation after the war had ended and we were trying to move forward.

Moses

And we should remember that most of the German forces were fighting on the Eastern Front, so the Western Allies were only facing a fraction of the opposition they might have had.

stumpy01

pondo – Member
    Had a far more thoughtful hour-long drive in this morning listening to Chris Evans on the beach at Arromanches with the veterans, it was much less stressful because the thought occurred that this rat-race we’re all caught up in, it’s really nothing to worry about compared to what thousands of people went through seventy years ago in order to allow us the wonderful freedom we enjoy today.

+1. I was listening to this on the drive in this morning and to be honest, the drive just turned into a sub-concious activity while I listened to the radio.
    Quite hard to drive with a constant lump in my throat and tear in my eye……!

I’ve said for years that I’d like to visit Normandy and see the beaches for myself. I think that this will spur me into action. Need to plans in place for next yr.

redstripe
    Free Member

That point above is true and something the Max Hastings book deals with, we undoubtedly suffered and came good but in terms of losses and scale it was nothing like what happened on the eastern front. Something like 90-95% of German losses were there. The Russians lost an unbelievable amount of people through the conflict (and as a result of Stalin’s actions).

Spud

My parents are both 70 this month and next, they’re the youngest of the family with older siblings involved in the war and my grandfathers working for ROF making tanks and artillery. I saw my dad’s elder brother for most of my younger years and he once told me how was stood on the deck of a battleship as all hell rained down on D-Day. Only at his funeral did we hear from one of his Legion mates that he actually landed on that day, not sure why as always believed he was Navy, and they had to crawl in tank tracks to avoid incoming fire whilst those around sadly suffered horrific injuries or died. I always well-up thinking about it and watching/ listening to programmes about it.

There’s a comment above about today’s generation, at the 2012 Remembrance parade, a young lad (around 20) was stood in only a burgundy t-shirt of his parachute regiment, he spoke, struggling to hold it together about his two mates that had only recently been killed. If it came to it the modern generation would do it I’m sure. Lets hope we never have to because we have very brave men and women who do it daily for us.

Never forget

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘70 years ago tonight’ is closed to new replies.